• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2013
help

In the GIVEPOKEMON script.
After i compile i can only choose one value to copy to the perosn in advance map!
Causing the person to either just talk.
Or just give me a pokmeon?
Any help?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
This is an excellent translation of thethethethe's Pokescript tutorial. When will you be adding the level script part? Also, do you think you could do a bit on the command sethealingplace?

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Sierra's XSE Level Scripting Tutorial

Do Not Take or Modify Without Permission

A lot of people have been asking me for this, so here it is!

Step 1:
Make the script you want.

Step 2:
Add a setvar 0x(variable number) 0x1 into your script. Make sure that the player is FORCED to do the part that you add it into.
Note: You do NOT need a setflag/checkflag situation unless you have a script that sets a flag for another script.

IMPORTANT: Make sure to always use variables between 0x4011 and 0x40FF. If you don't, then anything could happen to your game, ranging from Bad EGGs in your players' PC boxes to a deleted save file.
Step 3:
Compile the script.

Step 4:
In A-Map, go to the map you want to put your level script onto.

Step 5:
Go to the Header view.

Step 6:
Under Map Script, remove all other old level scripts and press Add.

Step 7:
Under Script Type, select 02 Validates values, loads handler to...

Step 8:
Paste the script offset into the Script offset 2 box.

Step 9:
Put the number of the variable that will be set to 0x1 in your script under Flag. Leave the Value box alone.

Step 10:
Press Save map scripts.

Step 11:
Press Ctrl+H on your keyboard. The view should change to Pro-Header view.

Step 12:
In the Map options>Map script offset box, copy the offset past the dollar sign and paste it into the Offset box in XSE.

Step 13:
Decompile the script and...Blank! Not to worry! Press the button right next to the Decompile button, press the Decompile button itself and...voila! There's a script now!

Step 14:
There should be a minimum of three parts to the script: two things with pointers and your script that you made. In the second part, there should be a pointer to your script. Under it, there should be a #raw word 0x(random number). Replace the random number with 0. Compile it and test it out in the game.

Step 15:
Enjoy your level script!

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
diegoisawesome's XSE Level Scripting Tutorial

Do Not Take or Modify Without Permission

A lot of people have been asking me for this, so here it is!

Step 1:

Make the script you want.

Step 2:

Add a setvar 0x(variable number) 0x1 into your script. Make sure that the player is FORCED to do the part that you add it into. I recommend using variables 0x7000 up.

Note: You do NOT need a setflag/checkflag situation unless you have a script that sets a flag for another script.

Step 3:

Compile the script.

Step 4:

In A-Map, go to the map you want to put your level script onto.

Step 5:

Go to the Header view.

Step 6:

Under Map Script, remove all other old level scripts and press Add.

Step 7:

Under Script Type, select 02 Validates values, loads handler to...

Step 8:

Paste the script offset into the Script offset 2 box.

Step 9:

Put the number of the variable that will be set to 0x1 in your script under Flag. Leave the Value box alone.

Step 10:

Press Save map scripts.

Step 11:

Press Ctrl+H on your keyboard. The view should change to Pro-Header view.

Step 12:

In the Map options>Map script offset box, copy the offset past the dollar sign and paste it into the Offset box in XSE.

Step 13:

Decompile the script and...Blank! Not to worry! Press the button right next to the Decompile button, press the Decompile button itself and...voila! There's a script now!

Step 14:

There should be a minimum of three parts to the script: two things with pointers and your script that you made. In the second part, there should be a pointer to your script. Under it, there should be a #raw word 0x(random number). Replace the random number with 0. Compile it and test it out in the game.

Step 15:

Enjoy your level script!

I think what most of us were expecting was one on all types level scripts not just the most commonly used one.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well that was probably the best tutorial I've seen so far. It has sooo much content, while most of the others don't even have trainerbattle scripts.

It was pretty big, so I might have missed it, but I can't get figure out the trainer thing. I want to make completely new trainers for my hack, and there are no tutorials specifically for this so I'll start by asking here. How do you create new trainer IDs?

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Well that was probably the best tutorial I've seen so far. It has sooo much content, while most of the others don't even have trainerbattle scripts.

It was pretty big, so I might have missed it, but I can't get figure out the trainer thing. I want to make completely new trainers for my hack, and there are no tutorials specifically for this so I'll start by asking here. How do you create new trainer IDs?
Go into PET and select one of the trainers at the beginning that has no name.

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 24, 2010
How could you hide a sprite before even using it, then have it appear for one thing, then disappear? I looked at professor Oak's in the beginning, but that did not help...

Edit: Just use Professor Oak's person ID.

Edit 2: Or you could use the hide sprite thingy in the options in events......

Last edited:

dogz

Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2010
#dynamic 0x100008C

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x829
if 0x0 goto @pokedex
checkflag 0x829
if 0x1 goto @tobad
release

#org @pokedex
setflag 0x829
msgbox @here 0x6
release
end

#org @tobad
msgbox @noway 0x6
end

#org @here
= heres a pokedex for you

#org @noway
= now leave me alone!

The script still makes the game freeze it is in Fire Red and is not working

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024
Hi I'm new to scripting and I wrote this script but when i press debug mode it shows this message.
Spoiler:

can you tell me what i'm doing wrong heres the script
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
Hi I'm new to scripting and I wrote this script but when i press debug mode it shows this message.
Spoiler:

can you tell me what i'm doing wrong heres the script
Spoiler:

Well on line 8 you have "msgbox @ha 0x6". Well, if you look at your script you don't have a "@ha message". That's your problem. There's no message even though in your script theres a msgbox.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024
thanks
wow i really need to get better at this.
um i no i already asked for help but when i inserted the script it just froze up on me heres the image of what i typed into amap
Spoiler:

also here the new script.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2011
Hey, I seem to be having a problem with XSE...

Whenever I try to script something, whether a talking or givepokemon script, it changes into a roll of garbage that makes no sense when I go back to it.

EDIT: Fixed the problem...

Last edited:

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 24, 2010
thanks
wow i really need to get better at this.
um i no i already asked for help but when i inserted the script it just froze up on me heres the image of what i typed into amap
Spoiler:

also here the new script.
Spoiler:
Help.png

Hope this helps.

Back