• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cyan [Beta 3 Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Thanks for all the great posts. :) I'm glad people are still enjoying the hack!

I have a question for all of you now. Who would be interested in fakemon starters for cyan? I have some designs ready but I'd like to get some feedback on the idea first. Thanks! :D

Definitely Fakemon starters. Some abilities outside of Blaze, Torrent, Overgrow'd be nice too (y)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
I know you haven't shown it all, but from what I can see you've used the same tileset in the same way throughout the game. If you even change the trees around a little bit, it really lets the player know in a visual way 'Okay, I'm in a new area and it is exciting'.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I think, based on the awesome greatness of your Fakemon we've seen so far, that the starters should definetly be Fakemon. It would change it up, no starters based off of another game. I think that would be an amazing thing for you to do. You have my vote!
I think adding your own fakemon a good idea. I used to hate fakemon but now i love them after playing so many games with fakemon.
Glad you like the idea, although they probably won't be in beta 2 unfortunately everyone seems to want them!
It's great idea! I must say that my cyndaquil(ok, quilava) was abandoned in box, but usually it's the first member of my team! It also be great if you add unusual typing for starters like fire-poison, grass-ghost or water-electric. :D
The water starter is going the be water/electric and the grass one's final stage will be grass/dark. :)
That would be fun. I like Pawniard and Bisharp, but I do think the line should be expanded to include the other chess pieces. But a quick look at Bulbapedia suggests the chess reference isn't there in the Japanese version, and so the family is unlikely to get an official expansion.

Speaking more of Fakemon, I'm game for Fakemon starters. Do you have clear ideas for them yet? Personally I've always thought it would be cool to have a Grass-type spinosaurus Pokemon with a Venus flytrap for its sail. Heck, that's where I got my username from.

I've barely started this hack, but I'm very interested in it. Also, the addition of new abilities and the Fairy type have caught my attention. I'm trying to learn ROM hacking, and those two are things I've not seen done before. So good luck!

For feedback, FYI, the party sprite for Taillow is still Tentacool. Changing some of the gen 1 Pokemon to gen 2 or 3 ones is kinda distracting for me, hearing the wrong cries. It shouldn't bother me, since it happens for all Fakemon and post gen 3 inserts, but it does. Do you plan on using the National Dex in the post-game? Because if not, an alternative would be to write in a script for activating the National Dex early on. Then you won't have to worry about the problems like halted evolution.

Keep up the good work, and I'm excited to see how this goes.

EDIT: I found a couple of glitches with the in-game trade in Maroon City (Roselia for Pikachu). First off, in the black trade screen after the GBA pops up (you know, where the "tube" carrying the two Poke's appears) appeared as a jumble of tiles rather than all black tiles. Second, after receiving Dontae the Pikachu (but before the screen returns to the normal overworld), it read "Take good care of !" rather than "Take good care of Dontae!"
Thanks, just fixed the bug with Taillow and the in-game trade. I have no plans to make any chess/spinosaurus fakemon at the moment, I'll consider it though. :) If I get enough time, all Pokemon from gen 1-5 should have the correct cries in the next beta. The national dex is already going to be used in the post-game.
Just finished the beta, and yeah, your hack is awesome.
Your graphic is great, the colour is synchronizing, i really love it!!

And as for my advice:
- Fix the tall grass animation. It really bothers me since you have a nice map.
- You probably should change the indoor tile as well, it's just too different with the outside.
- Oh, and also the battle background, same reason xD

As you can see, others like your fakemon. They probably abandon their johto starters anyway, so if you have a great starters in mind, Wynaut? :)
Indoor tiles and battle backgrounds will both be changed eventually, and the grass animation next beta if I have time. The only reason the indoor tiles aren't in yet is because it takes so long to insert them all.
Definitely Fakemon starters. Some abilities outside of Blaze, Torrent, Overgrow'd be nice too (y)
I might add secondary abilities for the starters, I'd rather stick to how the official games are though.
I know you haven't shown it all, but from what I can see you've used the same tileset in the same way throughout the game. If you even change the trees around a little bit, it really lets the player know in a visual way 'Okay, I'm in a new area and it is exciting'.
I understand what you mean but I don't think it's necessary for every single area to have a different tileset. Not only is it a lot of work for me, but there are already going to be many varied environments in cyan like deserts, swamp, snowy, etc.
-----------------------------------
Unfortunately the fakemon starters won't be in beta 2 because it'll take a bit of time to make them all but most people seem to like the idea. I know there are a few people who prefer the Johto starters so I might consider adding an extra optional patch that removes the fakemon starters and uses the Johto ones.

In other news, the beta may be delayed for a bit, mainly due to some of the new fakemon. If it does end up happening, I'll be sure to add in some extra content to make up for it! Here's a screenshot of a new gen 6 pokemon though. :D
ULEE0Lh.png

PokeEpicStudios

EpicStudios
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 13, 2014
Glad you like the idea, although they probably won't be in beta 2 unfortunately everyone seems to want them!

The water starter is going the be water/electric and the grass one's final stage will be grass/dark. :)

Thanks, just fixed the bug with Taillow and the in-game trade. I have no plans to make any chess/spinosaurus fakemon at the moment, I'll consider it though. :) If I get enough time, all Pokemon from gen 1-5 should have the correct cries in the next beta. The national dex is already going to be used in the post-game.

Indoor tiles and battle backgrounds will both be changed eventually, and the grass animation next beta if I have time. The only reason the indoor tiles aren't in yet is because it takes so long to insert them all.

I might add secondary abilities for the starters, I'd rather stick to how the official games are though.

I understand what you mean but I don't think it's necessary for every single area to have a different tileset. Not only is it a lot of work for me, but there are already going to be many varied environments in cyan like deserts, swamp, snowy, etc.
Unfortunately the fakemon starters won't be in beta 2 because it'll take a bit of time to make them all but most people seem to like the idea. I know there are a few people who prefer the Johto starters so I might consider adding an extra optional patch that removes the fakemon starters and uses the Johto ones.

In other news, the beta may be delayed for a bit, mainly due to some of the new fakemon. If it does end up happening, I'll be sure to add in some extra content to make up for it! Here's a screenshot of a new gen 6 pokemon though. :D
ULEE0Lh.png

Carbink is the Shuckle of Generation 6

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Cyan now has custom battle backgrounds, thanks to DrFuji! (also showing off a new fakemon :P)

egIdLgv.png

I also have one more question for everyone. Right now cyan doesn't have too many fakemon, 1 every route or so. I haven't tried to push them too much but I'd like to see what people think. Should I add more fakemon so there's more of a selection, or is the current balance of them fine? Thanks! :)

Tyroz

In tenebris est et in nobis.
Years
Cyan now has custom battle backgrounds, thanks to DrFuji! (also showing off a new fakemon :P)

egIdLgv.png

I also have one more question for everyone. Right now cyan doesn't have too many fakemon, 1 every route or so. I haven't tried to push them too much but I'd like to see what people think. Should I add more fakemon so there's more of a selection, or is the current balance of them fine? Thanks! :)

I absolutely love the fake on and personally for a hack f this quality you should add many in. I don't like the balance nowbecause the fake on are great and then you run across a Purrloin. -_- and that looks amazing.

Do you have a known release date yet or no?

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years

egIdLgv.png

I like Crabble, looks a lot like a Dwebble. Also good because pun value.
I can never say no to more fakemon, as long as quality is consistent :)
Maybe 1/3 of the pokemon should be fakemon? That way you can get
acquainted with them while having familiar Pokemon around.

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
Fakemon are now starting to grow on me, and your Fakemon are absolutely gorgeous! (from what I have seen so far) I don't mind if you add more

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
I almost never play rom hacks with fakemon, i guess im not used to them, But in Pokemon cyan i fell in love with these fakemon! Also the graphics are just beautiful, They lit up my screen full of bright colors i never seen on a rom :D! I support this rom... Good Luck Chrunch you deserve many thanks for this awesome rom hack. ( can't wait for beta 2 it must be awesomer lol >_<)

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Ugh. The Fakemon's cuteness here is just absolute! ^^ Kinda better than Sienna.
I expect more Fakemon to come! :) I enjoyed the beta, thanks. Good luck on le work.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
i think u should add more fakemon i am bored to play games with the same pokemon

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
I was replaying the beta (now choosing to not intervene with Team Rocket in the forest, in case it changes the encounter in Devon at all), and I noticed that Bite and Astonish have essentially 100% flinch rate. Now, maybe I was just really unlucky, but you may want to check that. To everyone else playing - was it just bad luck on my part, or was this real?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I absolutely love the fake on and personally for a hack f this quality you should add many in. I don't like the balance nowbecause the fake on are great and then you run across a Purrloin. -_- and that looks amazing.

Do you have a known release date yet or no?
Thanks! No, I had to push back the release a bit. Hopefully early January.
I like Crabble, looks a lot like a Dwebble. Also good because pun value.
I can never say no to more fakemon, as long as quality is consistent :)
Maybe 1/3 of the pokemon should be fakemon? That way you can get
acquainted with them while having familiar Pokemon around.
Fakemon are now starting to grow on me, and your Fakemon are absolutely gorgeous! (from what I have seen so far) I don't mind if you add more
Thanks! :)
I almost never play rom hacks with fakemon, i guess im not used to them, But in Pokemon cyan i fell in love with these fakemon! Also the graphics are just beautiful, They lit up my screen full of bright colors i never seen on a rom :D! I support this rom... Good Luck Chrunch you deserve many thanks for this awesome rom hack. ( can't wait for beta 2 it must be awesomer lol >_<)

Ugh. The Fakemon's cuteness here is just absolute! ^^ Kinda better than Sienna.
I expect more Fakemon to come! :) I enjoyed the beta, thanks. Good luck on le work.
Haha thanks! :) Sienna is a bit of an inspiration of the fakemon here.
when will u release the full game?i love this game and can't wait :)
There's no release date for the full game yet.
I was replaying the beta (now choosing to not intervene with Team Rocket in the forest, in case it changes the encounter in Devon at all), and I noticed that Bite and Astonish have essentially 100% flinch rate. Now, maybe I was just really unlucky, but you may want to check that. To everyone else playing - was it just bad luck on my part, or was this real?
I can confirm this is a bug - I just don't know what's causing it. :( The team rocket event has no effect on anything in this beta, however in the next beta it will affect a minor event (and you'll miss out on a rare Pokemon if you don't intervene).

0p1t7xD.png
6NjHjcD.png
8DRyVzF.png

Another little sidequest I just finished. :D Let me know what you think of the indoor battle background!

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
8DRyVzF.png

Another little sidequest I just finished. :D Let me know what you think of the indoor battle background!

I think that, if it's in a brown setting (the room), the background should match the color of the room. But that's just my opinion alone, unless other people feel the same way.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Small status update:
PDRJ28e.png

I've inserted a few new evolution stones, currently the Shiny Stone is the only one obtainable, as it's the only one with a use (evolving Roselia). I've also begun inserting new cries for the 4th and 5th Gen Pokemon and updating ones for Pokemon with the incorrect cries. As of the beta, everything (except the fakemon, still not sure how to deal with the cries for them) should hopefully have it's own cry. Hope everyone enjoys! :)

Last edited:
Years
There's a minor text error in Gary's house, when you click on the map. It says "Kanto region".

And the Taillow sprite in the Pokedex when you press "Next data" (which shows the map and size) is wrong (it shows a Tentacool instead)

I like this hack so far! What is the length of the next beta?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
Hey, what about beta 2? Is there any progress or brutal life get you and you're busy? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back