• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Like the Wii U?

Do you like the Wii U?

• Yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • NY
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo is doomed with this new console.
I've tried it out in the stores, and not only is the new control-pad-thingy insanely bulky/cumbersome, but the touch screen is AWFUL. Not to mention the controls are confusing, and this new screen on the controller just makes games annoying.
But, that's just my opinion. So what do you guys think? Wii U: genius, or total failure?

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
I actually like the Wii a lot, which is another reason I don't like the Wii U. First, it doesn't play Gamecube games. That was strike one. But anyway, it had always been a dream of mine to be able to swing the sword for Link, and that dream was made possible by Wii in Skyward Sword and (to a MUCH lesser extent) Twilight Princess.
Mario Kart Wii was pretty good too, and I LOVE SMB Brawl.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yeah, the Wii U is one of the most interesting consoles I ever played, mainly because of the Game Pad. It's worth upgrading over the original Wii, since it can also play the original Wii games.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I, personally, really like the Wii-U. I feel that it has a lot of great potential.

I think we should wait for some more first party games to come out, then make our final analysis on it, though. (Apparently, you'll be able to download games from the shop channel. I remember reading that a while back ago, but I thought I'd mention it. >.> )

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I'm not going to say it's DOA until what's shown by MS and Sony. It doesn't have any games out yet that tie me into buying it though.

NatureKeeper

I haven't got to try it myself, but judging by many previews, the software and the games lineup, I can form a preliminary opinion. I like it.

The hardware isn't a huge leap- but I cannot compare it to anything of its own generation yet, so I cannot see how will it fare. I wouldn't have to wait more than 6 days though. And even if the PlayStation 4 turns to be a powerhouse then, I am still sticking with Nintendo's console because another PS3 and I know how this is going...

Of course, there is always holding that controller in my hand to form my opinion about it completely. But so far, I can't say I find much of a problem with it than the third-party support lacking in a few areas, but since Capcom, Ubisoft and Activision are publishing normally I am good.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED
is what they said for the Wii. And then it beats the Xbox360 and PS3 commercially, lol. And if the rumors for the new consoles are true then I can see Nintendo winning next gen as well.

I think the Wii brand was doomed from the start. At first the Wii was really fun, but then the big games like mario and sonic stuff stopped making games for wii that were good. The wii was pretty much everyone's toy that they liked for about a month then forgot about.

Wii u? I honestly hate it. I think it's doomed.
Yeah, that's why the Wii sold near 100 million, right? Literally the only flaw I can think of for the Wii aside from obvious hardware limitations is the waggle for the Wiimote, which wasn't that big of a deal anyway. Wii provided a lot of quality software and had the best exclusives. The Wiimote + Nunchuck is a COMPLETELY underrated control scheme as well. I wish I could be half as relaxed with normal controllers as I am with the Wiichuck. Also, Sonic Colors is the only good sonic game for the Wii, and that was out 2010. Mario never stopped getting good games. The Wii is no more a toy than any other game console, and this is coming from someone who played on his 360 more.

Wii was genius, though I don't think the Wii U might follow its footsteps. The Gamepad is marvelous but there are far too many flaws for the Wii U right now, ESPECIALLY the eShop. I like the Wii U but right now it's not a better choice than a PS3 or a 360.

Of course that is until they patch the slow OS, introduce an account system for digital purchases and release the big guns, then sure. But that won't be any time soon I reckon.

Last edited:

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I don't have the console, I don't have the money or drive to get it, but there's a Wii U at my Wal-mart that, while I can't play any games on it, does explain some of the gimmicks it has and the library it currently has.

It's a pretty cool console that I find unique, such as being able to turn it into a handheld (don't know if that's for all games, but I know the Mario game is like that). I don't know if it'll sell more than its competitors but I don't think it'll doom Nintendo either.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Jesus is the internet quick to judge. Poor sales? Sure. But its been 2 months. Not exactly the best time frame to judge it. If we were in a timespan of a year and every month as been bad, its justified. But we're not. I'm assuming, and hoping, it does pick up, cause the internet's far too negative.
Anyway, yes, I'm enjoying mine. Its been fun so far, and the games it has are adequate. Sure I don't have every game out there for it, but that's what I have a PC for. Miiverse rocks btw, it feels so right.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
It's a good console, but there are a few things that need to be hammered out. I've played with one a few times and I really enjoyed it. Will I be getting my own? At some point between now and the release of Bayonetta 2, yes. I will play Bayonetta 2. Neither Hell nor high water will keep me from it.

I can see the Wii U dominating next gen. All this talk about no used games has really killed the mood for the other two main consoles and the Steam Box is on its way, so the Wii U is the only console that has something unique to offer so far in its interactivity. Unless Microsoft or Sony unveils a moderately-priced wonder machine that dispenses cookies, cleans your house, and plays used games, Nintendo's gonna have a leg up on them.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Why would I buy the Wii U when
(a) I have a Wii
(b) I can softmod my Wii to play whatever games I want from basically the beginning of time right through N64 era plus any Nintendo games from any era
(c) Wii U has maybe a dozen exclusives scheduled for the next year, of those maybe half are worth getting

I'm not going to get into the ethics of any of this, it's just the current reality. Nintendo's casual fad finally faded and they're left to reap the benefits of what they sowed. This is why you never put all your eggs in one basket. People aren't going to buy Wii Us unless they either get a whole lot more exclusives or price drop once or twice, seeing as how the Wii is so easy to mod and make into what's basically the ultimate gaming system (aside from PC master race, of course).

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
All of this doom and gloom on Nintendo all because of them doing their own thing with the Wii U and not follow trends like Microsoft and Sony are doing. It's only been a few months since the Wii U has launched, so of course it wouldn't sell much until later on. Plus, a friend of mine told me that every next-gen consoles will have technical difficulties during its first days. It has happened with the 360, it has happened with the PS3, and now it has happened with the Wii U. The Game Overthinker has stated that the reason why this happened is because consoles these days are trying to be the jack of all trades rather than sticking with what they do best: playing video games.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Why would I buy the Wii U when
(a) I have a Wii
(b) I can softmod my Wii to play whatever games I want from basically the beginning of time right through N64 era plus any Nintendo games from any era
(c) Wii U has maybe a dozen exclusives scheduled for the next year, of those maybe half are worth getting

I'm not going to get into the ethics of any of this, it's just the current reality. Nintendo's casual fad finally faded and they're left to reap the benefits of what they sowed. This is why you never put all your eggs in one basket. People aren't going to buy Wii Us unless they either get a whole lot more exclusives or price drop once or twice, seeing as how the Wii is so easy to mod and make into what's basically the ultimate gaming system (aside from PC master race, of course).
Yes because softmodding is something the masses do, and is why nobody buys a WiiU. And here I thought the recent lack of games was at fault.

All of this doom and gloom on Nintendo all because of them doing their own thing with the Wii U and not follow trends like Microsoft and Sony are doing. It's only been a few months since the Wii U has launched, so of course it wouldn't sell much until later on. Plus, a friend of mine told me that every next-gen consoles will have technical difficulties during its first days. It has happened with the 360, it has happened with the PS3, and now it has happened with the Wii U. The Game Overthinker has stated that the reason why this happened is because consoles these days are trying to be the jack of all trades rather than sticking with what they do best: playing video games.
Your post makes no sense whatsoever. You chastise Nintendo for not following MS and Sony when it comes to following trends, and then you finish off saying that being jack of all trades is a bad bad thing. Those two cannot coexist in someone's opinion, as they are mutual. If Nintendo did follow MS and Sony then the WiiU would have been a jack of all trades, and thus it could be argued they fuddled up in the "what does it do" department. However the WiiU is a straight to the point Video Game machine with some multimedia aspects unlike the other 2 who are going full blown multimedia and leaving games as a secondary entertainment means. The only non-gaming thing that is massive on the WiiU is miiverse, and that in itself is setting it apart from the others in a way that will help them in the long run. Having your own social hub for your console that is not only available on your console but on every platform under the sun is a huge advantage to have, and unless Sony and MS implement it the WiiU will have a major feature to boast about.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Your post makes no sense whatsoever. You chastise Nintendo for not following MS and Sony when it comes to following trends, and then you finish off saying that being jack of all trades is a bad bad thing. Those two cannot coexist in someone's opinion, as they are mutual. If Nintendo did follow MS and Sony then the WiiU would have been a jack of all trades, and thus it could be argued they fuddled up in the "what does it do" department. However the WiiU is a straight to the point Video Game machine with some multimedia aspects unlike the other 2 who are going full blown multimedia and leaving games as a secondary entertainment means. The only non-gaming thing that is massive on the WiiU is miiverse, and that in itself is setting it apart from the others in a way that will help them in the long run. Having your own social hub for your console that is not only available on your console but on every platform under the sun is a huge advantage to have, and unless Sony and MS implement it the WiiU will have a major feature to boast about.

Because I didn't think the multimedia aspect was a current trend for consoles, only the smartphone/android apps.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Because I didn't think the multimedia aspect was a current trend for consoles, only the smartphone/android apps.
But it is, it so is. Outside of the multimedia angle the 360 is trying to shove down your throat and the PS3 trying to obtain some of that, they do nothing else Nintendo isn't following. Sure they might have a more competent online system, but that's only cause Nintendo's getting there in their own way, and likely will succeed in the long run. And if you're going for a "3rd parties aren't giving Nintendo games cause they're not uber power boxes with 10gigs of ram" angle well I have to say that I'm thankful of this, homogenous consoles all round with nothing differential then control schemes is not the future I want. Sure its happening, Nintendo with the gamepad PS4 with whatever the hell dualshock 4 is turning out to be and the 720 being a Kinect based monster, but at least Nintendo's trying to be different about it then being a media box first and game box second.

twocows

Years
Yes because softmodding is something the masses do, and is why nobody buys a WiiU. And here I thought the recent lack of games was at fault.
You'd think with a wit like that, you'd actually take notice of what I was getting at instead of reading the word "softmodding" and going straight into your response. The point is that Nintendo has lost both their casual demographic and their core demographic. The casual market isn't coming back. The core market is what they're trying to recapture (because it's the only thing they have a chance to recapture). However, they're failing to do so for various reasons, of which the ease of softmodding is one.

Softmodding is hugely popular in most of the relevant gaming communities, and those are the communities where trends begin. These are the people Nintendo needs to convince to buy the Wii U the most, and they're the people who are currently buying it the least because the Wii's library (and other consoles' libraries) completely eclipses the Wii U's and for the price tag of "free." It's like a worse version of what the PS3 went through, where the PS2's massive library made the pricey PS3 (with its relative lack of worthwhile exclusives) seem somewhat irrelevant. And until the Wii U's library expands to the point where people think it's worth it (or it receives enough of a price cut to where people are willing to buy it anyway), it's going to continue to have tepid sales.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
You'd think with a wit like that, you'd actually take notice of what I was getting at instead of reading the word "softmodding" and going straight into your response. The point is that Nintendo has lost both their casual demographic and their core demographic. The casual market isn't coming back. The core market is what they're trying to recapture (because it's the only thing they have a chance to recapture). However, they're failing to do so for various reasons, of which the ease of softmodding is one.

Softmodding is hugely popular in most of the relevant gaming communities, and those are the communities where trends begin. These are the people Nintendo needs to convince to buy the Wii U the most, and they're the people who are currently buying it the least because the Wii's library (and other consoles' libraries) completely eclipses the Wii U's and for the price tag of "free." It's like a worse version of what the PS3 went through, where the PS2's massive library made the pricey PS3 (with its relative lack of worthwhile exclusives) seem somewhat irrelevant. And until the Wii U's library expands to the point where people think it's worth it (or it receives enough of a price cut to where people are willing to buy it anyway), it's going to continue to have tepid sales.
You're still saying what I was getting at. In no way what so ever is the Wii U dead on arrival or selling poorly because some 20000 pirates are happily pirating an entire backlog of games until they deem it ready, its selling poorly cause consumers don't deem it ready. To blame things on piracy of a previous console is ridiculous. I personally own a Softmodded Wii, and a Wii U, but I'm likely an exception to the rule that feels in the end my purchase is justified, even if there is a lack of games in the beginning, or at least a seeming lack. As I said I'm an exception obviously, cause apparently there isn't 10-15 games you can own at this moment that are worth it.

twocows

Years
You're still saying what I was getting at. In no way what so ever is the Wii U dead on arrival or selling poorly because some 20000 pirates are happily pirating an entire backlog of games until they deem it ready, its selling poorly cause consumers don't deem it ready. To blame things on piracy of a previous console is ridiculous. I personally own a Softmodded Wii, and a Wii U, but I'm likely an exception to the rule that feels in the end my purchase is justified, even if there is a lack of games in the beginning, or at least a seeming lack. As I said I'm an exception obviously, cause apparently there isn't 10-15 games you can own at this moment that are worth it.
And you're still missing the point entirely. I said piracy is one reason among many that the Wii U is failing. It plays into the main reason, "the library sucks and every other console available has a better selection." I mentioned it specifically because it's specifically oriented toward Nintendo's would-be customers (if they've bought a Wii, they're probably sold on Nintendo's ability to put out worthwhile games) and affects major trendsetting groups in Nintendo's market.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Ah, the Virtual Boy II. Nintendo is seriously shooting itself in the head with this piece of trash. It's gimmicky and really nothing new, and it has been selling horribly. With this and the 3DS, they aren't exactly in a good state right now.

And honestly, why would I buy a new Nintendo system when I barely touch my Wii? Sorry, I don't need more Mario that bad.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Ah, the Virtual Boy II. Nintendo is seriously shooting itself in the head with this piece of trash. It's gimmicky and really nothing new, and it has been selling horribly. With this and the 3DS, they aren't exactly in a good state right now.

And honestly, why would I buy a new Nintendo system when I barely touch my Wii? Sorry, I don't need more Mario that bad.
What's wrong with the 3DS? That's been successful.

And, don't know. Don't buy if that's the case. Myself, I need the Marios, Zeldas, and Metroids. Those are my games. I don't need whatever the next Xbox or Playstation are to play another Call of Duty game. Just different tastes

Back