• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Contests?

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Where do you stand on contests coming back?
I for one want contests back. More specifically, Super Contests.
Now I know what y'all are thinking. "Emerald contests are better", "Dancing sucked", "I can't feel my face". Understandable, but Super Contests were literally RSE contests but with more stuff.
Maybe they could do it slightly differently, though. Dress up your Pokemon at the beginning of the contests, then do an appeal round. Round 2 would be a double appeal round, then round 3 could be Contest battles. The dancing was a bit fun, so that could come back but in the form of a revamped Pokemon Musical, where the dancing thing is exactly the same, but you're putting on a show and competing at the same time.

Guy

just a guy
Years
The general concept of Pokémon Contests since its conception was made to cater to more females than males and thus attract more female players in return. However, with the positive feedback (I assume) that was gained from the contests in RSE they decided to take it another step further in Gen IV. The problem there was that with the new touchscreen, they added all of these unnecessary new features and actually made the challenge of contests less appealing, and quite frankly easier.

I do want to see Pokémon Contests make a grand return, but I would prefer less dress up and dancing, and more focus on the moves and definitely a battling round a la the anime. There's a slimmer of hope that it might happen, but for the most part I'm doubtful we'll see its return in X and Y. More likely than not, the next time contests might show up again is if we get RSE remakes, but I could be wrong.

All that being said, so long as Musicals never see the light of day, then all is good.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Unova didn't have contests at all. You got to sit there and watch your Pokemon dance with some ridiculousness costume and have little to no control over what he/she does. I never really joined those...

Anyway, on topic. I'm not really that much of a contest guy, don't do them much. I do them in my free time when I have nothing better to do in the game. But, I have to say, Sinnoh had the best of them. More than just a move challenge and better than just dancing. Sure there was the dancing part, but at least you had actual control over it and it was more than just "watch my dance!".

So, if contests make a return, I'd like the Sinnoh style contests to be the ones making the comeback.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I don't think it's particularly likely that they'll be omitted entirely. Heck, I don't care in what fashion they even come in! I personally think that HG/SS took things a step forward with the introduction of the Pokeathlon, which is something to be enjoyed. I mean, if we had something like that as our primary means of having Pokemon contests (and having it revamped/improved a bit), the I'm honestly sold. Just none of the cheesy stuff. .__.
I agree with this. As much as I would like Contests to make a mighty return, I would be perfectly fine with something else being put in so long as it's actually worthwhile and fun. Pokémon Musicals was a major step down from Contests and the Pokéathlon in HG/SS.

As I mentioned earlier though, as much as I doubt we'll see contests in X and Y, the next time we're likely to see it return is if we ever get RSE remakes. Although, that's a different topic entirely.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
Pokémon Musicals was a major step down from Contests and the Pokéathlon in HG/SS

I agree with this completely. Pokemon Musicals are dumb in my opinion and I never participate in them. I would love to see some kind Contest or Pokealthon in X and Y. Anything but the Pokemon Musical...

BugBoyTroy

Professor in-training
Years
I just want there to be contests that use Pokemon moves. It's more fun needing to teach a Pokemon to participate in contests, rather than just being able to rely solely on what props you have. Also poffins were so cool and I much preferred Feebas evolving with beauty. It gave the contests real purpose to be used even if the player was more geared towards gyms or competitive play. Personally I enjoyed the sinnoh me habits better biting would be fine with either one

Back