• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Red Gyarados

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
I thought it was cool but I never really tried too hard to catch it. I usually always had a Gyarados already as I got a magikarp asap in the game, and I didn't care for really collecting pokemon as much as having strong pokemon haha.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
Red Garydos for along time up til a few years ago where i found a shinny Zubat was the only shinny I had/found

Years
I caught it but didn't use. Just wanted a shiny Gyarados for the sake of having one.. poor thing has been gathering dust in my box since. ;(

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I would always save in front of it and reset until I captured it. But I never actually used it haha

Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2017
I remember my first play and had missed him. :( Didn't feel like going back and catching him. :D

Years
I used to love this guy. When I was little, he seemed like the coolest thing ever. I didn't even know that other Pokemon could also be a different color! I would save before attempting to capture it, and typically used him on my team. Looking back, he ended up being the only HM slave I really used in battle. In the remakes, he is much less exciting, and I don't always bother getting him.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I'd always include him. And later on, I'd always elegantly call him Slifer the Sky Dragon.
Yeah, I know it doesn't really work, but he was red and a "dragon." Go with it.

He'd always be a big help in all of my matches. And even when I accidentally had only Water types on my team for Crystal, (Except for Lugia >.> ) he was there.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I don't really use it since it's not very good in GSC. I guess it's useful though since it introduces people to shiny Pokemon and makes for an okay HM slave.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Its a red gyrados I just cant let that slip I was Playing in VBA and slotsaved till I caught it

Years
Gyarados is not as menacing as it was supposed to be in Gen II because the physical/special split was based on type not the move, and Gyarados had a low Sp. Atk, so naturally its water type moves weren't going to be as strong as I imagined the first time I tried to use him. Red Gyarados just ended up being a glorified HM Slave. Plus, Gyarados being a guaranteed shiny just undervalued its shininess.

Ruben967

Lights they blind me
Years
I thought I was super lucky because it was shiny, so I captured and used him until the final battle.
Years later I find out it is always shiny, but didn't regret it at all.

Years
I think I missed him on my first play and went back and restarted the game because I didn't think there was a way to catch him if you didn't the first time. (And there wasn't, naturally.) He was really cool at first but he's sort of lost his novelty to me after being a Pokemon fan for so long. I used him so many times that if I were to start another save file on G/S/C, I'd probably just defeat him if he was too much trouble for me and just make sure to collect the Dragon Scale to trade for the Exp. Share.

I did like the way shinies looked in G/S/C, though, I have to say it's my favorite of the shiny entrances (the sparkles before a battle). Gyarados is a pretty great Pokemon but by now he's lost his ~*shiny novelty*~ to me, haha. I was obsessed with him when I was younger, though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I didn't use it, I think, because there were a lot other water types I liked better than Gyarados at the time. Plus, I was annoyed that it was red when I wanted my water types to be blue! Haha, I was a bit silly.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've used it for a little while, but then I replaced it with Lugia. Red Gyarados didn't really feel too special to me, since I was able to catch it just because it was a part of the story. If I had caught it randomly (just like most of my other shiny Pokémon), then maybe I would've kept it on my team. Just maybe, haha.

Elixir.

Fly Away
Years
I used it well into Kanto. That Gyarados saved my team several times during the Johto Elite Four. It was replaced by Snorlax after some time, however.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
The first time I caught the red Gyarados I used it up until I got to Kanto. After I restarted my Gold version I caught it, but didn't use it. I did clone it a couple times to get copies of TMs.

Back