• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overdark Dragon

Years
(Dunno if I can make a separate topic but yeah)

Overdark Dragon!

Team Overview

1481592-vsgiovanni.png

248.png
560.png
635.png
445.png
227.png
593.png

Welcome to Overdark Dragon. I have been battling for approximately a month now since my hiatus and this is the team I have settled on using. It's nothing fancy, just a simplistic beat down team which is good for a beginner like me to utilize as I immerse myself in the new metagame.

Team Analysis

1481587-giovannihgss.gif

General Lead

248.png

RAGNAROK (Tyranitar) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch / Payback
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

I stole the chesty rest concept from Dark Azelf for this Pokemon. However since I lack an electric attack on this team, I am going to test Thunderbolt over Rest. Switching Thunderbolt for Ice beam to see how this runs. Fire Blast handles the steel leads and Crunch is my choice of STAB, though am now contemplating Payback over Crunch as it will usually deal more damage. Stealth Rock is staple. He also serves as a special wall during battle - giving this fearsome beast added utility for the team. I am still tinkering around with this and any suggestions particularly for this Pokemon would be much appreciated.

Sweepers

560.png

DRAKOW (Scrafty) (M) @ Leftovers \ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

This Pokemon reminds me very much of myself - hence his nickname. If I was to be a Pokemon, I would have the same dual typing. I am also a big fan of Dragons so I appreciate Dragon Dance being available to him. I tried different versions of Scrafty (different movesets and natures) with reasonable success. However, the Dragon Dance set has proven itself to be the best for me. Setting up with this Pokemon is not too difficult given his great defensive bulk and with access to Shed Skin, I do not fear status which is often the bane to set up sweepers. Shed Skin also allows Scrafty to be used as a psuedo status absorber too, which is nice to have. I am now testing out Moxie and while there has been a battle or two where Scrafty has been crippled by status, Moxie allows me to forgo set up time with multiple Dragon Dances, which has proven almost invaluable. I am tempted to throw a Lum Berry onto it to handle status but I think the recovery from Leftovers is crucial. Drain Punch allows for good healing too and Ice Punch handles the flying types that try to ruin my day. Crunch is a secondary stab attack which I think is worthwhile having over something like Fire Punch, to wreck that pesky Reuniclus. I have swept entire teams with this Pokemon against unsuspecting opponents and I believe Scrafty is a force to be reckoned with.

635.png

VAN'DALGYON (Hydreigon) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Fire Blast

My favourite Pokemon from the fifth generation. It was about time they released a Dark and Dragon dual typing. As an aside note, my Yugioh deck focuses on Dark Dragon monsters to overwhelm the field and crush my enemies. This Pokemon is an absolute nightmare against stall teams. The phenomenal coverage that Hydreigon possesses allows it to threaten many Pokemon. His great defenses and HP also allow him to take quite a beating to ensure that his reign of destruction is not short lived. I have opted for Expert Belt over Life Orb to help preserve his stay on the fields of hell as Sandstorm combined with Life Orb truly does kill Hydreigon's ability to take hits, which is truly not a desirable state of affairs. Decided to test the recommended moveset and it has been performing well. I am still very iffy on Life Orb as most of the time, I use Hydreigon to pick off weaker Pokemon where the boost from Life Orb generally is not needed. Have now decided to run Life Orb with pretty good success. Life Orb Draco Meteor annihilates so many things, it's not even funny. I tested U-turn but I don't like it too much, since it also drains health due to the Life Orb and generally doesn't do much damage. I like Dark Pulse on Hydreigon as a secondary STAB attack and it's also his main STAB move if I do not intend to hit and run with Draco Meteor.

445.png

BAHAMUT (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Scarfchomp. This is my revenge killer and is my only out against other speedy threats, without falling back to the line of defence. Most people prefer Flamethrower / Fire Blast over Fire Fang for greater damage against the steel types who in general possess superior defense. As suggested, I will use Fire Blast. I opted for Stone Edge to hit those flying types - in particular, Gyarados.

Walls

227.png

STARDUST (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

The physical wall. Not much takes enemy outrages better than this guy. I also have a 50% fighting weakness so Ferrothorn was out of the question. This handles Conkeldurr better than Forretress, though one on one, I am certain Conkeldurr still wins. Regardless, I have been liking Skarmory through my brief testing with him. It's a really good wall in my opinion and he gets the job done for me. His moveset is standard and I would have liked to have taunt on there, but there is just no space for it. Whirlwind is better kept in over taunt as far as I am concerned. I am not too sure on his EV spread as of yet. As I test more, I'll play around with the EVs. I do like how Sturdy can allow Skarmory to phase Magnezone away before it dies completely.

593.png

KING O' WAR (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psychic
- Recover
- Taunt

This guy is more like a mixed wall, it can take hits from both ends of the spectrum really well. With such a huge fighting weakness on my team, this is my only real line of defence against the fighting type. I have opted to run Cursed Body over Water Absorb as Cursed Body while gimmicky, can singlehandedly shut down the effectiveness of the opponent's pokemon against the jellifish. Combined with taunt, the potential to stop enemies dead in their tracks becomes fiendishly viable. Scald is my water move of choice as Jellicent has the bulk to take a few hits which increases the potential to burn the enemy with Scald. I have ice beam over toxic say, to handle Dragons a bit better, but perhaps it's not so needed. I am contemplating Psychic as a means to counter the fighting types better and am going to test it out over Ice Beam for now.

Team Evaluation

I do like this team, but there is probably room for improvement. I must use at least three Dark pokemon and at least two Dragon pokemon in my team. So bear this in mind if you wish to make any suggestions. I have a huge weakness to payback Conkeldurr too but there's not a whole lot I can do about that, given the conditions I have imposed on myself.

Last edited:
Years
Jolly is better for Garchomp since everything is hella fast nowadays.

Bold is better for Jellicent to keep it's defense on par with Special Defense. Psyshock could ruin him. Also why no Water Absorb?

Also, why so Darks and Dragons? Is this some kind of special team or something.

Years
Jolly is better for Garchomp since everything is hella fast nowadays.

Bold is better for Jellicent to keep it's defense on par with Special Defense. Psyshock could ruin him. Also why no Water Absorb?

Also, why so Darks and Dragons? Is this some kind of special team or something.

1) I would rather keep Adamant for the extra power against walls and whatnot. Not much outspeeds Scarfchomp on Adamant anyway.

2) I agree with Bold nature, I have actually changed this but forgot to update it. The gimmicky Cursed Body lets me Recover stall against things like Payback Conkeldurr and then Jellicent could come out on top.

3) Dark and Dragons are my specialty, which is why this team is focused on them.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Drakow, haven't you posted this team twice already? :(

I'm not sure if there's anything else that can be added if you really haven't made any significant changes outside of what we suggested the last two times.

Years
Drakow, haven't you posted this team twice already? :(

I'm not sure if there's anything else that can be added if you really haven't made any significant changes outside of what we suggested the last two times.

-Pet-

I just wanted to see if there were any other opinions after I made the changes and made a fresh topic. But I do generally agree that there shouldn't be too much to add from the previous topic. Regardless, I am happy with this team and at the very least, I can at least dominate the PokeBattleCenter server lol.

Back