• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use HM Slaves?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I realized recently that I never really use them. I may have used a Bibarel once or twice in a Diamond run but that's probably it. Do you ever save a party slot for an HM Slave, or do you tend to distribute HMs among your entire party? Also, which Pokémon do you most commonly use as slaves?

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
Whenever I'm doing a first play through of a game I always make sure to have slot open for an HM slave. It's annoying but necessary. While playing through OR, I have a Azumarill named Riley that I use for my HM slave. It currently has Dive, Waterfall, Strength, and Rock Smash, those are pretty much the only HM's I use anyways. I have Surf on my Gorebyss since that's its Sweeping STAB move, so there's no reason to have it on my HM slave.

Years
I haven't really used a HM slave in a while, I usually distribute the HMs throughout my party seeing as some of them can be decent moves. In the case that one of my Pokemon knows a useless HM, I'll just have it forgotten when it gets to the point where I no longer have a use for it.

blue

gucci
Years
I needed to use Bibarel to climb Mt. Coronet in Platinum recently, so yes I do. HMs really bother me so I'm hoping they're a lot more redundant in Sun and Moon.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
Years
  • Age 24
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 6, 2023
Never, except that one time in heartgold when I traded over a lv100 Bibarel which I kept since I didn't have any water types to teach surf too. It also helped me defeat Lance :P I usually keep the HM's up until the Pokémon league, which I then fly back to the move deleter and re-teach their old moves. It seems like a lot of effort but XY/ORAS was the first time I was able to have a 6 Pokémon team so I wanted to make the best of it :)

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I use HM Slaves when dealing with weak moves like Rock Smash and Cut, but sometimes I teach the better moves like Surf to my main Pokemon, rather than having to leave one of my best Pokemon in the box to make space for a slave.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
It depends on the playthrough really! Like I really don't like having them but at the same time giving members of my team moves like Cut and Rock Smash really ticks me off. I hate having to take up a slot in my team with one too - it kinda makes me want the idea of no more HM's be a thing. Kinda like in Ash Gray where you get a surfboard to Surf and like an axe to cut. I'd really miss Surf, Waterfall and maybe Strength but that's about it.​

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I prefer the term buddies. lol Anyway, I definitely use them. Some HMs don't bother me, like Surf, Fly, Strength, and Waterfall (if this is gen IV and beyond since there's no physical/special split before then) but I tend to just stick them on other Pokemon instead, especially in newer games where there are so many better moves to choose from.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I've used HM slaves a total of 3 times. One was in AS regular playthrough, where I had a Skarmory as a fly slave, as none of my mons could fly. As seen in JBGD, I had a Sentret cut slave, as somehow all my 1st encounters can't learn cut. I had a normal HM slave for my very first Black 2 nuzrun, but I forgot who it was and it doesn't matter as the run is over.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Usually, I prefr not to have to use HM moves on the main party. Maybe Waterfall. It depends, one that can use most HM moves is useful, and maybe also a Water-type.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I rarely use HM slaves, but I only use Surf or Fly and not even bother with Cut or Strength since those are just normal-type HMs and cut just nerfed of Scratch reason for this I use travel HM slave instead of shortcut or puzzle HMs

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Nope, no HM slaves for me. I prefer to structure my team so that I have any HM slots that I need taken care of. The closest I probably came to one was when I used a Swanna in Black 2 for Fly and Surf.

Years
HM slave gyarados is my favorite one to use out of them all

I dont know why i just like using him a lot

Though i prefer not keeping them in my team most of this time
Because i want to keep room free for my main team

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I use HM slaves, because most HM's are really bad moves. Pokemon that I generally use as HM slaves include Linoone, Bibarel, Tropius, and Psyduck.

The only good HM moves in my opinion are Surf, Fly, and Waterfall. Those moves I can have on my main team members. Especially Surf since I tend to use a special attacking Water type in most games that I play. But sometimes I use a physical Water type, and then I use an HM slave for Surf as well.

Years
Not really. Every once and awhile I might need a move like Rock Climb or Whirlpool, but other than the random or odd obstacle I don't have much use for them.

Years
I used some in Sinnoh since I hated all the HM requirements in those games. I am excited that Poke Ride in Sun & Moon is the final nail in the coffin for these mostly useless moves.

Back