• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Random Matchup Complaints and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2012
I've had an account here for a while, but I think this may be my first or second post. I just needed somewhere to vent my frustrations with random wifi to fellow pokemon players. This is only about triple battles, as those are all I play.

First off, how do people with obviously hacked pokemon have so many wins? Don't people rage quit? For instance, I was just battling this guy with 75 wins who had ALL shiny pokemon. Seriously? 75 wins? 75 people sat through a most likely one sided battle with him? I mean, he was faster than all of my pokemon (even my aerodactyl with a speed boosting nature and max (legit) speed EVs) and one hit KOed me 100% of the time. Really.

Then, EVERYONE with over 100 wins has protect on every single one of their pokemon and uses it the first turn with some sort of team stat boosting move on the pokemon you'd least expect to have it...kinda easy to predict but so ANNOYING when you don't.

Not to stereotype, but this is true: Almost EVERY Japanese person on random wifi is a douchebag. 80% have mottos that are "Want to trade ______? Here's a hint _____!" or the animated ones and the rest have the default motto. They all hack or play the game nonstop and know everything there is to know about it. The worst part is, they ALL rage when you even come slightly close to beating them (or just use a good move), but so does almost everyone else.

If I come across anyone with over 500 wins, they are ALWAYS Japanese and I used to immediately turn off my DS. Lately though, I've been trying tougher opponents like them and I managed to beat someone with 1600 wins! Too bad I didn't have the vs. recorder at the time. I've only faced a couple people with near that amount recently though, and it was the nightmare I expected.

I feel so bad when I see someone on random wifi with pokemon that are like level 30 or so. It's like, if my experience is bad, they must be about to blow up their DS!

Also, this is all on free mode. I've tried rating mode, but it takes a lot longer and I still get people with 5000 wins.

I'm not whining because I suck, I have 85 wins, which isn't too good, but it's not too bad either. I'm just sick of all this crap on random wifi. I really really hope the next game has online filters and anti rage measures (win if opponent rages).

My name is Jerome, you may have come across me, but I've encountered multiple jeromes, so it may not have been me.

Oh yeah, I forgot (thanks for the reminder mods), please discuss and share your experiences with random wifi, regardless of battle type or mode!

Last edited:

Ghiaccio

Ace Trainer
Years
Well I can't say about the black and white random battles all that much because I use a DS lite and can't get on wifi because the security's too complex for the system, but I have done a random wifi battle once (maybe like the battle tower in Gen 4 I don't remember exactly) but it was tough, and when people hack pokemon it kinda makes me mad. Actually when people hack any game it kinda makes me mad, because it just destroys everything that the people that sit down and play the game a long time to train do. Oh and winning if the Opponent rages is a great idea, and filters and stuff (and maybe somehow blocking hacks, although that would make quite a lot of people mad) would be a great idea too

Drekin

We all live in a...
Years
The only battle type I use in Random Match-up is the Triple Battle and I haven't seen any hacked Pokemon. Yes I've seen a few all-shiny teams but that doesn't always mean they hacked to get them. I have never encountered someone who hacked their Pokemons' stats.

The only thing I've seen is the overuse of Dragon-types but I've changed my team up to compensate for that a long time ago so it is no longer a problem.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

This is really related to battle, but is wifi, all the idiots that put something up for trade, and request "Zekrom LV9 and under" WTF? There are soooooooooo many people that do this! Nintendo NEED to fix this next game. Encode in the GTS certain pokemon cant be bred, and are obtained at ______ level. It's annoying.

Years
Yeah zekrom lv.9 under reshiram lv.9 under or lvl.100 arceus or mew or victini.

But on subject, ive only came close to winning a random match up
The guy had nothing but dragons
Garchomp
Haxorus
Dragonite
And hydreigon I thinks
I survived the first blow from garchomp with my vanilluxe only due to my held item and my blizzard landed amd he was stillgoing!!! Wtf, I ev trained my vanillluxe sp att amd bred his sp att nature

Thanksi had haxorus finish garchomp Isent out excadrill to fight alongside haxorus then p0wned his haxorus even though in turn his dragonight got my excadrill one hit, exca got a rockslide on him though
I sent out my arcanine
He sount out hydreigon, my haxy p0wned his dragonite and my arcacnines egg move close combat p0wned his hydreigon... Thought for sure im going to get my first win ( double battle )
Thn the screen changed amd said the connection was disrupted.

So to wifi random match up, im quite bitter
Not only that but among my losses I have met hacked pokemon
Lots
And garchomps always seem to be the prime suspect

Yeah zekrom lv.9 under reshiram lv.9 under or lvl.100 arceus or mew or victini.

But on subject, ive only came close to winning a random match up
The guy had nothing but dragons
Garchomp
Haxorus
Dragonite
And hydreigon I thinks
I survived the first blow from garchomp with my vanilluxe only due to my held item and my blizzard landed amd he was stillgoing!!! Wtf, I ev trained my vanillluxe sp att amd bred his sp att nature

Thanksi had haxorus finish garchomp Isent out excadrill to fight alongside haxorus then p0wned his haxorus even though in turn his dragonight got my excadrill one hit, exca got a rockslide on him though
I sent out my arcanine
He sount out hydreigon, my haxy p0wned his dragonite and my arcacnines egg move close combat p0wned his hydreigon... Thought for sure im going to get my first win ( double battle )
Thn the screen changed amd said the connection was disrupted.

So to wifi random match up, im quite bitter
Not only that but among my losses I have met hacked pokemon
Lots
And garchomps always seem to be the prime suspect

Last edited:
Years
Dislike B&W wifi battles?

I seriously can never have fun playing against other live people. The wifi battles are extremely hard it's outrageous! It's pretty much a test on how much you want to nerd out in boosting. Sucks how the battles only run on numbers. I just think it's starting to ruin the game for me and the game series in general. I never noticed how broken the battle system feels to me when I play against others.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I seriously can never have fun playing against other live people. The wifi battles are extremely hard it's outrageous! It's pretty much a test on how much you want to nerd out in boosting. Sucks how the battles only run on numbers. I just think it's starting to ruin the game for me and the game series in general. I never noticed how broken the battle system feels to me when I play against others.

Well by wifi I'm pretty sure you mean random matchup, so I merged this with the thread for it. However! If you do wish to discuss the Generation 5 wifi metagame, then you can head to Competitive Battling Center and discuss there, though chances are it won't have much discussion because not many people there play wifi. :(

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 15, 2018
My first wifi battle was doomed from the start. I happened to face a Japanese account. I swiftly took out his first Pokemon but then he sent out his LV1 Aron. Me being the oblivious to the new version of F.E.A.R Ratatta was like, Ha! You foolish n00b, sending out your little Aron. And then I watched in disbelief as it took out every single member of my team. I raged for days. Also, I wish that they would add 6v6 with auto-leveling to 50 or 100. How do I know if my entire team works in synch if I can't use them all at once?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
My name is Quil, I come in Random Matchup Single and Rotation, and that I agree. The Japanese people AGGRAVATE ME. Yes I learned form them and made my own strategy, that caused me to win more in Single Battles, 52 wins I tell you, and that I beat some Japanese people. But they are a pain, like when I use my best team in Random Matchup(Ferrothorn, Latias, Volcarona, Espeon, Gyarados, and Mienshao), I still lose to them no matter how good they are by stat increases, held items, abilities, and moves. And that when I browse there, I get annoyed of seeing them, ALL THE DANG TIME I SEE THEM, and that a few time, I see the Japanese win over 3,000 times, I just rage quit. that's why I HARDLY GO THERE. Seriously, they must be laughing at us losing when they beat us, and that they take it too seriously! And that I do agree with you about the noob trainers having LV 20 or unbalanced Pokemon, but one time, when I fought this trainer that had a Ditto, she copied my Latias and sweeped all of my Pokemon by Calm Mind and Dragon Pulse, really, I battle for fun, not to make this part of my life. That is why I lost motivation of Random Matchup.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2012
Random Match-up just annoys me. Almost every battle is either with a kid with level 40 pokemon or someone who disconnects right before I win... I find it much more fun to find people online to battle with.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
I actually don't play Random Matchup that often. I do hack my team, I'll admit that. But I use LEGAL HACKS. No blatant hacks with max EVs in every stat and illegal movesets like I see the Japanese guys use. Anyone else see any Huge Power Slaking get past the hack checks recently?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I get disconnected on quite often by lots of different players from different countries, but I've noticed some Japanese will actually forfeit instead of d/c... which is nice ^^

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2017
My name is Jerome, you may have come across me, but I've encountered multiple jeromes, so it may not have been me.

That name sounds familiar. If you remember wailing on an under-leveled trainer with a Serperior and Gigalith, that was probably me.

I do think that wi-fi battles would be improved in B2/W2 if the "random" element was reduced:

• allow trainers to set search parameters according to opponent star ratings, wins and average pokemon level. Let people battle opponents at their own level of experience.
  • When your opponent is found, provide the option to cancel a challenge that is obviously one-sided and return to search mode.
  • Raising pokemon to level 50+ takes a long time for casual players. Provide a "little cup" option where trainers can use only low-level teams. This way everyone can enjoy evenly-matched on-line play without having to first clear the main story.
Finally, Game Freak needs to address the "culture of disconnecting" - people who shut off their DS just before their final pokemon faints to avoid a loss on their record. Maybe new trainer cards should feature additional stats: # Wins, # Losses and '# Disconnects'.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Problems with wi-fi battling in BW

Whenever I win, the other play normally quits immediately. Turning off your DS or unplugging your DS should count as a forfeit. 40% of the time, the other play quits when I win. It's getting annoying. I'm thinking Nintendo needs to fix this. Rage quitting should not be rewarded.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Whenever I win, the other play normally quits immediately. Turning off your DS or unplugging your DS should count as a forfeit. 40% of the time, the other play quits when I win. It's getting annoying. I'm thinking Nintendo needs to fix this. Rage quitting should not be rewarded.

They can't fix it, and it is penalized. If they do it so many times, it penalizes them and will not recognize their scores in the Global Battle Network. Other than that, there is nothing they can do.

Years
  • Age 24
  • US
  • Seen Apr 12, 2012
Originally Posted by TittyKitty
First off, how do people with obviously hacked pokemon have so many wins? Don't people rage quit? For instance, I was just battling this guy with 75 wins who had ALL shiny pokemon. Seriously? 75 wins? 75 people sat through a most likely one sided battle with him? I mean, he was faster than all of my pokemon (even my aerodactyl with a speed boosting nature and max (legit) speed EVs) and one hit KOed me 100% of the time. Really.

I agree that there's gotta be something with battling against a Japanese player with thousands of wins. I battled against a Japanese guy with 5000 wins using the team I plan to use for this year's VGC, and his Excadrill somehow outran MY Excadrill, who had Sand Rush, max speed EVs and IVs, Jolly Nature and everything to boost speed.

During last year's VGC, I pawned this kid in the first round with my team (Volcarona, Sigilyph, Ferrothorn, Sammurott, Eelektross, Hydreigon) in the first round.

But next round, this Asian (not being racist, he really was) kid and he pawned me with a shiny Thundurus and shiny Terrakion combo. My Hydreigon was clearly faster than both, as it had max speed EVs and Choice Scarf, but somehow his Terrakion outran it when first of all, it didn't even have a Choice Scarf, as it held a Fighting Gem to 0HK0 my Hydreigon with Close Combat. I sent out my Volcarona, who had also had max speed EVs and Timid Nature, and proceeded to use Hidden Power Ground, but once again the Terrakion outran it and 0HK0 it with Stone Edge. My Sigilyph, who also had speed EVs and Timid Nature, was outran and killed by the Thundurus. My Ferrothorn was kOed by a Close Combat that was also a critical hit, which shouldn't have happened since my Ferrothorn had Defense EVs and Bold Nature.

The Random Matchup mishap made me a little mad, but the VGC mishap made the bomb explode. I just couldn't believe that I got pawned and didn't land a
single attack, right in front of my parents and siblings, by a Japanese kid.

GoombaGeek

what does this box do
Years
Why do people always ask for "level 9 and under Reshiram/Zekrom" on the GTS?

Seriously. Is there some super-rare lvl. 1 event dragon that everyone wants? Do they all really want hacked Pokémon? Are they trying to be as annoying as possible so that people give in and hack in what they want in an attempt to unclog the GTS?

The only positive GTS matchup I've ever found was when I wanted to trade a Solosis for a Gothita (version exclusives, right?). Guess what, people wanted level 9 or under Arceuses for their level 21 obviously-caught-in-the-wild-minimum-effort Gothitas. The only reason this was positive is because after experimenting with the location settings, I found that the only other Canadian offering a Gothita was looking for any Solosis, which I had. Thank you, Tyler, whoever you are T_T

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2012
Hopefully in Black and White 2, something can be fixed that puts people with similar wins/losses together for battles. I hated it when I first started and faced so many people with hundreds of wins.

Why do people always ask for "level 9 and under Reshiram/Zekrom" on the GTS?

Seriously. Is there some super-rare lvl. 1 event dragon that everyone wants? Do they all really want hacked Pokémon? Are they trying to be as annoying as possible so that people give in and hack in what they want in an attempt to unclog the GTS?

The only positive GTS matchup I've ever found was when I wanted to trade a Solosis for a Gothita (version exclusives, right?). Guess what, people wanted level 9 or under Arceuses for their level 21 obviously-caught-in-the-wild-minimum-effort Gothitas. The only reason this was positive is because after experimenting with the location settings, I found that the only other Canadian offering a Gothita was looking for any Solosis, which I had. Thank you, Tyler, whoever you are T_T

Those are hacked pokemon, I think you can only get em with an Action Replay or something. It annoys everyone, I know :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back