• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
they should have given more pokemon normal evolutions instead of this gimmicky digimon-esque mega evolution we see now

Years
Reading through this thread and elsewhere, I'm not so sure that disliking the Mega Evolutions is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think it's quite the majority, either. Whatever the case is though, I'm in the camp that thinks they're quite unnecessary, especially when so many other Pokemon could've used actual evolutions instead. I understand that part of it was to interest past players of the franchise by giving them to the more popular Pokemon, but I would've much rather seen ~100 new Pokemon in Kalos (with some regular evolutions of past Pokemon) than 69 + x number of Mega Evolutions.

The only other thing I can think of that might be an unpopular opinion is that the 4th gen games (not including the remakes) were the worst of the bunch so far, though I'm not far enough into Y to give Gen VI a judgement. I never really felt invested in the story, Team Galactic's master plan of recolonizing in space seemed way too farfetched to be a real threat, and the whole region felt like a ripoff of Hoenn (down to the hometown and Pokemon Leagues basically lining up if you laid the maps overtop each other). The biggest positive was all of the good Pokemon it brought, but beyond that, I just didn't like the games.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Dec 5, 2013
@Knormageddon

You are not alone. I hated gen 5. The region, the starters, the pokemon, all of it.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
"The original 151 Pokemon were the most creative. These new Pokemon look like trash. They don't even look like Pokemon."

I've seen people that would swear by this line. I'm not saying gen. 1 was uncreative, but it definitely wasn't the epitome of creativity. Yeah, Frillish is a stupid design and Trubbish is literally trash. They are uncreative, but you know what else is? Voltorb and Magnemite.

So yeah, gen. 1 is pretty cool, and I get that it's some people's favorite. But I don't think (for the most part) newer games are uncreative or rip-offs.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
Gamefreak has gotten lazy

Generation 5 was the worse generation

Team Rocket is the best Villainous team

Generation 1 and 2 has the best main game pokemon story

Chikorita and its evolutions are actually pretty good

Fairy Pokemon are amazing and were a necessary addition to the previous types

pokemon black and white 2 iris has the worse champion theme

pokemon black and white 2 have the worse champion

the battle subway thingie is terrible

I never use legendary pokemon because I feel they make the game feel cheap

Water pokemon are OP and should be nerfed. I mean come on. I still dont get why they made ghost and dark pokemon normally effective against steel now

grass types need less weaknesses.

ice pokemon need more respect lol

I feel that their should be more alternative evolutions like gallade/gardevoir for ex. or more evolutions like say you learn so and so move and be at so and so level and you evolve. normal evolutions are just too plain and boring

I feel that mega evolutions are cheesy. period. and just dont feel right to me....not natural is what I am trying to say.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Let's see...

- I've always found Sinnoh to be a very boring and disorienting region.
- I honestly believe Ghetsis to be a better villain than Cyrus.
- My favorite games in the series are the Hoenn-based ones.
- My favorite aspect of X&Y is that they only introduced three legendaries, a sharp contrast to the trend of gens III-V.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
  • RSE are terrible games. Period. However I think they introduced some of the best designs.
  • RBYl are the best examples of games that have aged abysmally. I also can't play them for more than five minutes before feeling my stomach turn.
  • B2W2 are by far my favourite games in the series.
  • Red is unremarkable. Every protagonist afterward did the same things and more. He was probably only put in to begin with since G/S were meant to be the end of Pokémon.
  • I only want the R/S remakes announced and out because I'm sick of them being hyped up.
  • There's no such thing as a bad rival, and I think we see the bratty and cocky rivals being best because it's what a lot of us were introduced to.
  • Iris is best champion with almost the best theme.
  • I can't stand D/P, yet I enjoy Platinum.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
An unpopular Pokémon opinion that I have is one I haven't heard from anyone else.
I'm extremely nostalgic when it comes to my GBA SP that can play GB, GBC, and of course GBA games. I used to own a DS, but recently gave it to my brother since I have more interest in playing my older games than newer ones. He still let's me play when I'm at home sometimes when I feel like it. I like the simplistic 8 - 16 bit graphics on one screen and think some games actually look better than DS ones because of the frame rate. There are Pokémon I like and dislike from every generation, but I appreciate them all. I just wish I could enjoy them on my GBA SP. That's right, I'm not a genwunner, I'm a consolewunner.....

EB

Re: World
Years
I'm sure some people would agree, but I typically don't like starters or legendaries. Every run they're there, and I'm at the point in the old games where I box my starter and faint the legendaries for EVs.

I'm reaching this point as well. It seems that with every generation, the starters become more and more lackluster (maybe they always were, with my eye for aesthetics simply improving with age?).

I still catch legendaries, but I make it purposefully difficult. Right now, I force myself to catch them using only Premier Balls.

Years
  • I hate super training with a passion. It's way to tedious but it's important if you want to do well in battle.
  • Pokemon Amie was a good idea that was poorly executed. It's just as tedious as super training but fortunately not as necessary.
  • I think it was a horrible idea to change existing non-fairy type Pokemon into fairy types.
  • The spinoff games are really underrated.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I really wish James and Jessie were long gone. They could have disappeared after Johto, please.

I think the designs of the gym leaders grew worse over the generations. Kanto and Johto had the best, Kalos' are downright awful in some cases. Imo ;)

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Too many pointless "throwaway" Pokemon are made due to "tradition's" sake. Regional rodents, birds, etc. Diggersby with Huge Power is interesting, and Talonflame with Gale Wind is interesting, so I give Gamefreak credit there, but both abilities are hidden.

Too many pointless hurdles. Being forced to trade to get all the Pokemon, egg moves, hidden abilities, etc.

Events. Events are a nice name for DLC. They're already programmed onto the game. If any other company tried to pull that off there'd be hell to pay... oh wait didn't Capcom try to do that recently, I believe there were some repercussions for them. Instead of you having to pay $10 to get unreleased Pokemon, Gamefreak sells the rights to events off to large companies, so those companies can distribute them.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
Oooh, this thread I like!

- Generation V was arguably my favorite generation and I think it had very interesting and likable Pokémon designs, not in spite of but because of the strangeness.

- Charizard has a very bland design, especially in comparison to Blastoise or Venusaur.

- Lucario is very overused and uninteresting (actually, this one is increasingly popular), and I think it's a shame that Zoroark will always be overshadowed by it. It's like the Wolverine of Pokémon!

- Cynthia's battle theme is, as far as Champion music goes, the one I like least. Actually, Cynthia in general comes across as... Like, too good a person. She doesn't have the affable casualness of Alder or the antagonistic smugness of Blue or whatever.

- Generation I, despite being my "childhood generation" (though that's stretching it since the first game I actually played was Crystal; still, I watched the show and collected the cards before I had a Gameboy of any kind), is by far my least-favorite.

- Garbodor is Garbodorable.

- N is a creepy sociopathic manchild once you get past his being Captain Hotness. I love that about him, actually, it deconstructs the whole bishonen way in a very effective way! I really did prefer him as a villain, though. I'm just not huge on anti-heroes in general.

- I don't mind detrimental natures, at least in my storyline teams. Part of the challenge is working within limits!

- I love X & Y to death, but they kind of suffer from what Diamond & Pearl did. They have a strange inexplicable feeling of incompleteness, and part of me would prefer a Pokémon Z to patch up the gaps instead of a Pokémon X2 & Y2.

Oh boy I sound so whiny!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
Eevee, its evolutions, Lucario, Charizard and ALL OF GENERATION THREE are highly overrated, ESPECIALLY Blaziken, and I wish that all of the people clamoring for a Hoenn remake and practically turning "HOENN CONFIRMED" into a meme get a rabid wolverine shoved into their undershorts.

*drops microphone and leaves*

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
Mega evolutions really are pointless. You have the choice to use the mega evolution in a fight or not. But why the hell would you not choose to do it and make your Pokémon stronger this way? Why is there even a choice if everyone knows the player is gonna do it anyway? They really could have just made it a regular fourth evolution. But even then I would find it pointless. 3 forms are enough and I would rather see a new evolution for Pokémon that don't have any, than new evolutions to Pokémon that already have the established maximum of evolutions.

Also without wanting to be a hipster or whatever, but I have to say a lot of popular Pokémon are absolutely overrated. Lucario and Absol for example. I really don't understand why they are so incredibly popular.
I also never really cared for Eevee and its evolutions. Actually playing Y it's the very first time I'm using an Eevee evolution and just because I got an Eevee via wondertrade very early in the game.

On the same note I always refuse to use the "route 1 birds" every generation has. You know, Pidgey in gen 1, Taillow in gen 3, Starly in gen 4, Pidove in gen 5 and Fletchling in gen 6. I always thought these were just boring as hell. (except for Hoothoot in gen 2. Hoothoot is awesome.)

-- Matt

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
Also without wanting to be a hipster or whatever, but I have to say a lot of popular Pokémon are absolutely overrated. Lucario and Absol for example. I really don't understand why they are so incredibly popular.

This right here, this is what I was trying to say! "You only dislike it because it's popular" is a common defense for this sort of thing, but in a way, it's perfectly valid to dislike something for being popular. I wouldn't have such a beef with Lucario if it weren't shoved down our throats so much. Liking something when it's obscure and disliking it once it's popular, now that's being a hipster... Disliking something for being overrated but truly lackluster isn't too needlessly nonconformist I don't think.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
I don't like the dual-typing in pokemon. It first started, when they made Bulbasaur half poison. That's the first time it bugged me really hard. Just because it has poison powder in its movepool. It's not that I dislike having moves of different types in a movepool. I dislike the dual-typing. Just decide in which type a pokemon belongs. I know that this is probably an unpopular opinion, but at least make Bulbasaur pure grass again.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Mega evolutions are gimmicky, and many of them look kinda stupid and over-designed.

I was horrified when my Aerodactyl sprouted what appears to be a goatee and bushy black eyebrows mid-battle.

Back