• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Date of Birth Challenge

Years
This is a Spotlighted Challenge. Here's how it works.

From March 1st, 2024 to May 31st, 2024

Introduction

Hello one and all and welcome to the Date of Birth Challenge! The premise is simple, your DOB dictates your team members, this may result in some very interesting combinations! Here's how it works:

1. Take the day you were born, and add it to the month and the last two digits of the year.

2. Take the day you were born and multiply it by the Generation* of game you are playing.

3. Take the month you were born in and multiply it by the Generation* of the game you are playing, squared.

- a)If you were born in December, January or February, select an Ice type of your choice.
- b)If you were born in March, April or May, select a Grass type of your choice.
- c)If you were born in June, July or August, select a Fire type of your choice.
- d)If you were born in September, October or November, select a Rock type of your choice.

- a)If you were born in December, January or February, select a Black Pokemon of your choice.
- b)If you were born in March, April or May, select a Yellow Pokemon of your choice.
- c)If you were born in June, July or August, select a Gray Pokemon of your choice.
- d)If you were born in September, October or November, select a Purple Pokemon of your choice.

6. The first Pokemon found on the route that corresponds to the month you were born in.

*Remakes are counted as the original Generation they were released in, e.g. FR/LG are Gen 1

For the first three Pokemon picking rules, take the resultant number, and the Pokemon you get is the Pokemon that corresponds to that number in the Regional Dex of your selected game. If the number exceeds the number of Pokemon in your Regional Dex of choice, simply half it, and if necessary, round up up to the nearest number to obtain your Pokemon! As I understand this can all be a bit confusing, I have provided an example below.
Spoiler:

For those playing Gen 6 games, since the Regional Dex has been split into three parts, it will work a little differently for you! Each of the first three Rules will apply to a different part of the Kalos Dex, but you can choose which Rule for which part. An example, for Rule 1, my resultant number is 130, which would give me Pinsir in the Coastal Dex, Aromatisse in the Central Dex, or Sudowoodo in the Mountain Dex, and it is my choice which one I take. BUT, each Dex must be used, you cannot take two from the same Dex, all three must correspond to a Rule. Again, this can be confusing, so feel free to message me with any queries! :)

Rules

1. Your team must be chosen using the above method.
2. You may use HM slaves if necessary, but they must not take part in battles.
3. Legendaries ARE allowed.
4. If you receive a NFE Pokemon, you can choose to evolve it if you so desire. If your Pokemon only evolves through trading, you may trade it to evolve, or use a programme to do it for you.
5. If one or more of your Pokemon are unobtainable in the game you have selected, you may hack/trade them in at a low level at the start of the game. The hacked in Pokemon must be legal, meaning no RNG abuse/illegal moves or abilities.

6. You may use your starter Pokemon until you catch your first Pokemon, but as soon as your first Pokemon is caught, the starter must be boxed/released. If your first Pokemon is not available before the third gym, then you may hack/trade one of your Pokemon at a low level.
7. Emulators and speed up are allowed, but no cheating!
8. Hacked games are allowed, such as Blaze Black or FireRed Omega, as long as they fit into the category of a generation (i.e. No Fakemon, must have a Regional Dex).
9. Just to clear up the confusion surrounding the sixth Pokemon 6, think of it like a Nuzlocke, the first Pokemon you find on the Route corresponding to the month of your DOB is the one you may catch. If you fail to catch it, you're running with five Pokemon. And, if you're playing Gen 2 or one of the remakes (e.g. Gold, Silver, Crystal, SoulSilver, HeartGold) then you must wait until Kanto to catch your last Pokemon!

The challenge is complete when you beat:
R/B/Y/FR/LG: Blue (Your Rival)
G/S/C/HG/SS: Red (At Mt Silver)
R/S: Steven
E: Wallace
D/P/Pt: Cynthia
B/W: Alder
B2/W2: Iris
X/Y: AZ

Please confirm your Pokemon teams on sign up! (With the exception of Pokemon 6 of course, but the route number must be confirmed and this Pokemon should be confirmed once it has been caught)

Here is a sign up sheet:

Name:
Game:
Pokemon Team:[/B]

Challengers:

Spoiler:

Champions:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
This sounds great, gonna try to get through Volt White 2 with this. Hopefully I can find the time for it.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 1, 2013
Cool
Name: PokeMinez
Game: Black 2
Pokemon:Nidoqueen,Kangaskhan,Gothorita,Tepig,Cinncino and something on route 8

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
This is an interesting idea, but I have a question: What about the starter? Do you continue to use that until you get your first Pokemon on your list, then go with that alone?

Years
This is an interesting idea, but I have a question: What about the starter? Do you continue to use that until you get your first Pokemon on your list, then go with that alone?
If you can catch your first Pokemon before the third gym, then just play with your starter until you catch it, and then box the starter. If, on the other hand, it is unobtainable before the third gym, it can be hacked/traded in at a low level to "replace" your starter. I will just update the rules now to make it clearer!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I'll definately do this one then, with Sapphire. I think I might have the toughest challenge yet, with Wingull for the first 2 gyms. I will post videos of this as well under spoiler tags.

Name: Airbourne Bubblun
Game: Sapphire
Pokemon: Weezing, Wingull, Vileplume, Magcargo, Crobat, Route 110.

Here's part 1 (The Zigzagoon/s will not be used in any way, only for pickup ability)

Spoiler:

EDIT: Here's part 2, 3 and 4

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Sounds like fun!

Name: Slaying Moon
Game: Sol Platinum
Pokemon:
1) 17th of December 1991 = 17+12+91=120, so Staryu (is it ok to evolve it?)
2) 17th, Gen IV = 17x4=68, so Machamp
3) December = 12x4x4=192, so Sunflora
4) December = Ice-type, so Glaceon
5) December = Black Pokemon, so Giratina (if allowed)
6) December = First Pokemon found on Route 212, so I'll wait and see what that one is

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
Name: monsterhair005
Game: Ruby
Pokemon:
1) Wingull
2) Tentacool
3) Whismur
4) Treecko
5) Makuhita
6) Route 105

Last edited:

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Sounds cool, definitely joining!

One question though:
Spoiler:

Sign-up:
Name: Chevitile
Game: FireRed Omega
Team:
Spoiler:

MrBunny9612

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2019
I got a question: what if one of the starters is one of the pokemon on your list?

and I will like to join:
Pokemon:
1. Weezing
2. Ivysaur
3. Articuno
4. Jynx
5. Snorlax
6. first pokemon on route 12

Warship

異議あり!
Years
Name: warship
Game: Firered
Pokemon:
1.Electabuzz
2.Poliwag (i suppose i can evolve it to Poliwrath right?)
3.Abra (again i hope i can evolve it to alakazam)
4.Arcanine
5.Machamp
6.Firstpokemon on Route 7

Warship

異議あり!
Years
a question: if the first pokemon i find in route 7 is growlithe, can i choose something else because im already set to have arcanine in my team.

Years
a question: if the first pokemon i find in route 7 is growlithe, can i choose something else because im already set to have arcanine in my team.

Unfortunately, no. You have to think of rule six kind of like a Nuzlocke, it's the first Pokemon or nothing. You can however, choose not to have six Pokemon and just stick with the five by not catching the first Pokemon on Route 7.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Oh, this looks fun!

Name
Me! I'll be playing under a different name though.

Game
Pokemon Blaze Black 2

Pokemon
Rhyhorn
Dodrio
Ho-oh
Shieldon
Gengar
Route 10

Years
I'd like to join

My team:
1. Lickitung
2. Ivysaur (if FireRed Omega counts as gen 1)
3. Butterfree
4. Piloswine
5. Houndoom
6. First pokemon on route 12 (need to check how the routes are marked in FR Omega)

Years
This sounds fun!

Name: WeightyWillBill
Game: Emerald
Team:
1. Cacturne
2. Geodude - Graveler (no trade in VBA's)
3. Torkoal
4. Blaziken
5. Skarmory
6. First Pokemon encountered on Route 106

Edit: So, I found out there are no real encounters on Route 106, unless I use a fishing rod, or surf. Is it okay to use the fishing rod to get the Pokemon on Route 106?

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I will continue to update with every gym cleared, and in Part 5, Roxanne is beaten, but only just. Team: Wingull + 5 zigzagoons (pickup ability)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back