• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Favorite ROM to hack?

Years
  • Seen May 2, 2012
Fire Red! always and forever. favorite gen + easy hackability of gba games + more to work with than Red

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Well, I've been pretty much experimenting with the map layout of Nuvema Town on a Pokémon Black ROM, my favorite ROM to hack would have to be Black/White. Why? 'Cause it has a more advanced mapping engine and a 3D battle layout, besides that... it uses animation for each of the Pokémon battle sprites, from front to back and anyone can edit them too... it's all about changing the images for the frame, while the NANR file does the job of going through the images. But I'm sure I'd change to Black Version 2 ROM once the ROMs have come out on the games' release, 'cause I'd be sure that there would be improvements on the textures and maybe other features we could simply rip out of the ROM itself.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Pokémon Emerald all the way. I used to like hacking FireRed, but then I realized how amazing Emerald could be if people knew how it worked, and after a few internal modifications, I've found it to be the very best, like no ROM ever was.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Ruby or Emerald. Just has better features in general, and the features are more up-to-date than FireRed, which downgraded to mimic Gen 1.

Also I don't get why people choose to hack FireRed because "it has better tilez lol", because the tiles for all GBA Pokemon games suck anyway. It's as if the only GBA games you guys have seen is Pokemon - the Pokemon games actually have pretty bad graphics for a GBA game, even your beloved FireRed.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I like Fire Red. When I started hacking, I was using Ruby, but I had some problems. So I tried FR, didn't have any issues, and never went back to Ruby.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
Black version! It's the easiest rom for me to hack! I modified th trainers stat, some of th quotes they say. I even changed the Battle lines and a few names and quotes of the Subway Trainers. I even modified the movesets and the base stats as well... well, I basically modified most of the aspect in terms of Pokemon themselves (stats, movesets, etc.) and the trainers.

GoombaGeek

what does this box do
Years
How come nobody uses Sapphire for anything?

From the tiny bit of hacking I've done, Sapphire seems pretty okay. Are there mysterious Ruby-only tools?

Lord V-Man

Casual modder
Years
I prefer Fire Red. In my opinion it has better looking tiles than the RSE games (not that that matters much if you plan on changing the tiles, but still), it has the most coverage concerning tutorials and tools and the 3rd gen games are a lot more stable compared to older generation games. Looking at the overall picture, Fire Red is just very beginner friendly.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
I'm just gonna stick with Gold.
It's the only game that I really enjoy.

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years
Although Emerald precedes to have better features and is more of a challenge, I prefer Fire Red to it simply becuase there is alot more understanding about it.

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
How come nobody uses Sapphire for anything?

From the tiny bit of hacking I've done, Sapphire seems pretty okay. Are there mysterious Ruby-only tools?
Lolno. When I first started, I wanted to mod on Sapphire as well because it was my favorite Gen III game, but I soon learned that it just didn't work well. After I changed to Ruby, I realized that it was much, MUCH easier to work with. Since then I've moved to FireRed, for favor reasons, as I like it's original sprites better, and I find more to be done with FireRed.
I've heard Emerald is pretty good, as it has the myriad uselessly cool functions that Nintendo threw into their R/S base, but meh. I still prefer FireRed, because I do. Don't really have a legitimate reason.

Years
i think firered is better because vs seeker.I am hacking firered too,but it get weird problem,the game reset itself when my character walking.Did it can happen to ruby too?

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
i think firered is better because vs seeker.I am hacking firered too,but it get weird problem,the game reset itself when my character walking.Did it can happen to ruby too?
It can happen to any game if you dont pay attention. Better read some tutorials, get a fresh ROM and try again.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
I prefer to hack FireRed as I think every generation after Gen 2 is horrible, and I'm too lazy to hack HG/SS properly.

I agree! I loved to play Silver and Gold, so Fire Red is the next best thing and a newer version. I do not care most of the new Pokemon compared to the originals and 2nd gen. Haven't looked closely at HG/SS, but then again I don't own a DS so I think the I am more comfortable with a GBA game. Also never had Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald so so clue about those games.

Back