• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Neti's Natural Mapping Tutorial

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
This is really a big help for me on mapping. Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2010
I like the mountain and water methods. The trees look nice and natural, but from a gameplay standard that method seems to be a negative factor to me. The trees look fine in rows and they don't mess with gameplay, they still add the proper atmosphere, but they don't get in the way, they line the path, etc. A random tree in a few places is fine, it adds a sense of nature. Having strange borders due to random tree placement, however, is definitely a negative to me, it makes the player have to think too much. I understand that probably doesn't sound right, but it's like this: when you're playing the game, you want the path to be rather apparent, the random placement draws the mind to all of the different spots, it looks aesthetically pleasing to an extent, but still isn't needed really. Ultimately, to me, the trees look nice, but they aren't really practical from a gameplay point of view. Nonetheless, I absolutely love the mountain method, mountains are still a time consuming yet beautiful feature of the game. The water features method is nice too. Sorry about the huge wall of criticism on the trees o.o I tend to get a little carried away once I start. ^^;

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2010
I dont agree with the tree part, but the rest is good. your correct about not fixing the coast right away cuz when you do youll find that your going back and redoing everything 10 times... the trees seriously bug me. they are to scattered and when you would play those kind of maps t gets really confusing for the player, that is why nintendo doesnt go wild like that on the maps... that and it becomes hard to tell which area you can or cant go through. some areas tend to be to big and some are just to small... you need to organize the trees some so there is a clear path and then after that make like a part that branches off the main path into the forest where you have idk like a TM or lake or something hiding in the back make a player want to navigate through your rediculous tree lining

~Zetsubou~

Hacker ~In Training~
Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2011
The idiots from my country (Years ago) decided that trees should stand in rows.
Anyway, great tutorial! Will surely use it.

Years
Something just seems... off about the tree one, I just don't think it looks that good. You can make natural ones while still keeping to border/boundaries, as long as they are not squares or anything that is a real shape, so your tree placement just seems unnecessary.
However, I really like the way you did the water and mountain.
All-in-all, it is a helpful tutorial for the water and mountains, thank you.

XChadEMartinX

Rom Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Okay, so I am working on learning how to connect maps, I want to basically learn everything I need to know before I start on my game. Here's my question, I want to use a dessert landscape for my first map, which is pallet town in the game, How could I take the dessert tiles from ruby and sapphire and put them in fire red? and how could I use a different tile set on a map using tile set (0, 1)? If you can't help me then maybe you could refer me to someone who could?

BourbonWhiskey

Pokemon Trainer Since 1998
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 2, 2017
Great tutorial. Thank you very much. This might take me some time in order to absorb the whole information, but it will be worth it.

When the time comes, I will be happy to make my son play the game I made.

Back