• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How does EV training work in Pokemon Black and White?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2014
I know that they changed EV in Pokemon Black and now they add 1 point to your stat for every for EV you have in that stat after each battle. I have a level 34 Vullaby that I never trained before and started EV training on Patrats and Lilipups that give 1 Attack EV. I defeated at least 20 of them and my Attack stat only raised by 2 points. Why not 5 like it should??

Also I read that you need to get 8 EV for every 1 stat point at level 50 and it drops to 4 at level 100. Does that mean I am not using EV efficiently by training at lower levels? If anyone can clear both these problems up I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It's hard to explain in words, but Bulbapedia sums it up:

Bulbapedia said:
Pokémon can now gain effort values from battling even at Level 100, and stats are recalculated at the end of every battle instead of only after leveling up, much like Deoxys in the Generation III games. When a Pokémon is defeated, EVs do not get added until after all experience points have been added (if the Pokémon levels up more than once, the second level it gains will have new EVs calculated into it); if a Pokémon levels up in the middle of a battle, its stats will update assuming there are EVs to add from a previously defeated opponent, but EVs from the opponent that caused it to level up will not be added until after the experience points have been completely added

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2014
I read off many sites like Bulbapedia and Smogon and it still doesn't explain why I only received 2 Attack after getting 20 Attack EV. It says specifically that stats are recalculated after each battle too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I read off many sites like Bulbapedia and Smogon and it still doesn't explain why I only received 2 Attack after getting 20 Attack EV. It says specifically that stats are recalculated after each battle too.

Your Pokemon is too low a level for the EVs to have much of an impact on the stats. That's my best explanation. The higher the level of your Pokemon, the more obvious the changes are. Either that, or you've maxed your EVs already.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2014
So does that mean by EV training on lower level pokemon I'm pretty much wasting EV since I'm getting less stat points than a level 100 pokemon??

Years
It happened to me as well, I never EV trained pre-Gen V and I got like +200 EV in a couple of levels, but it wasn't adding the 50 stat points after battle (Though it'd have been kinda weird). Anyway, the more you level up, the stats will eventually increase the way you trained the Pokémon. Of course assuming that you haven't reached the 510 EV limit, as PlatinumDude suggests.
Also, you might as well try to use the Power thingies that the Subway place gives you or even Macho Brace. And, to start with, you could also use the vitamins (Up to 100 EV per stat) for an easier EV training start.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So does that mean by EV training on lower level pokemon I'm pretty much wasting EV since I'm getting less stat points than a level 100 pokemon??

Not exactly. You can start EV training at any level (not too low, though), but you won't be seeing any significant changes until the higher levels. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the stat changes, and just focus on the EV training itself.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
You're never gonna see ridiculous stat gains like +8 in gen 5 since the stats will automatically update after each battle. Unless you pay attention -very- carefully, you're likely to never notice the gain. Furthermore, the extra stats you gain is calculated differently at lower levels than at higher. You'll notice the 252 EVs no problem at level 100 but at something like level 20, you probably won't see the +whatever points from the EVs. It's there, but won't get applied until later. This is mainly to prevent something like level 5 Arcanine with 80 attack.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Here's what happens and why you don't see any huge leaps in stats: it's because you only get all the stat points from EV training when your Pokemon is level 100. Otherwise, the amount of stat points you get for a particular stat depends on the level. Smogon's EV training guide is the best and the one I used to understand the mechanics, here it is.

Copied from there:

Spoiler:

So basically, the amount of stat points you get is actually (EV/4) * (Level/100).

Also, if you want to check if you've done the EV training correctly, call Bianca in B2W2 and she'll tell you if your Pokemon got 510 EVs in total or 252 EVs in a particular stat.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Well since you've got some good answers given to you I'll go ahead and close this now.

If you have any more questions about EV training, feel free to send any of the people who answered you a PM. Or try asking again in the Quick Questions thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back