• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3v3 Casual Pokemon Tournament - Need Team help

Suskel

Absolute Zero
Years
My friend is hosting a tournament for X and Y, and I decided to join.
It'll be filled with casual players and a few more hardcore players.
I myself am not too hardcore (I want to be, I just got back to the game) and I'd still like to win the tourney.

This is a 3v3 Tournament, and the only real notable rule is that it's a no Legendary tourney and any Pokemon banned by Smogon will not apply.

I chose six Pokemon to rotate around, but I need help fixing it up or knowing who to replace:

Mega Aggron
Bold
EV: HP/Def (SpD)
-Stealth Rock/Rock Polish
-Iron Head
-Dragon Tail (Earthquake)
-Stone Edge

Mega Kangaskhan
Adamant
EV: HP/Atk
-Fake Out
-Sucker Punch
-Power-Up Punch
-Return

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Bold
EV: HP/SpA (Spe) OR HP/Def (SpA)
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-wisp
-Rest

Thick Fat Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant
(Focus Sash if leading)
EV: Atk/Spe (Def)
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash (Taunt if leading)
-Ice Shard
-Stealth Rock

Mold Breaker Excadrill @ Air
Adamant
Balloon/Lefties
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw

Protean Greninja @ Life Orb
Modest
EV: SpA/Spe (SpD)
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-U-turn

There is no specific theme to my group, I just want to have it well-rounded and eliminate as much risk as possible (that's why I hate using M-Blaziken, he's too risky for me to use since I am inexperienced.
Not a big fan of stat modifying moves.
I'm expecting see a ton of Blazikens, Greninjas, and Sylveons. I'm a bit scared by a few of my friends who have a nasty Noivern and M-Kangaskhan.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Why are you even using Bold on Mega Aggron? This wastes away its good Attack. It should only stick to defensive roles:
-Stealth Rock
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head
-Thunder Wave/Ice Punch
-Earthquake/Rock Slide
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Item: Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy

Or
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head
-Earthquake/Ice Punch
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Item: Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy

I don't think Mamoswine needs Taunt. Its STAB coverage is good so it's better off just attacking the opponent.

Earthquake already hits non-Gengar Ghosts hard enough so if you didn't teach an Excadrill Iron Head in Gen V, use Rock Slide instead as Ground and Rock have good coverage together.

I also noticed this team is Fighting-weak. Having a Fighting resist on the team is ideal. I can't think of anything atm since I'm on my phone. I'll come back to this later.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
For a Fighting resist, you could throw in a Ghost or a Fairy. Aegislash and Slyveon are a couple that come to mind.

-Sylveon w/Leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 4 Defense
Moves: Hyper Voice, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind, Hidden Power Fire/Psyshock

You can use Cute Charm and Moon Blast in place of Pixilate and Hyper Voice if you can't get one of those.

or

-Sylveon w/Leftovers:
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pixilate/Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP, 244 Defense, 12 Sp.Attack
Moves: Wish, Protect, Hyper Voice/Moon Blast, Heal Bell/Toxic

-Aegislash w/Leftovers or Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant/Brave
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Sp.Defense
Moves: Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, King's Shield, Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Gyro Ball

or

Nature: Quiet
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Attack, 252 Sp.Attack
Moves: King's Shield, Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, Iron Head/Sacred Sword

or

Nature: Adamant
Ability: SC
EVs: 88 HP, 252 Attack, 168 Speed
Moves: Automotize, Swords Dance, Shadow Claw, Sacred Sword/Iron Head

And there's some more sets, but this is preobably enough for you.

Suskel

Absolute Zero
Years
Alright, I made a few changes:
1) Dropped Greninja. I'm confident in this decision since he's basically a squishier, faster version if Rotom. Ice is already covered, and Dark could be covered by something else easily.
2) Not sure if Kangaskhan or Pinsir as Megas would fit in more. What do you guys think? I was thinking about it, and I think Kangaskhan would be safer. Regardless, I put the Pinsir's build I had in mind in this, but I'm not dropping my sights on Kangaskhan.
3) Fixed Aggron as suggested, I like it better than what I thought of. Is it bad to fit a Dragon Tail on him?
4) Thanks for the Sylveon and Aegislash suggestion. I love the two, but if they're notable enough to be mentioned here, that must mean they're actually viable, so this means a lot to me (Actually, I used both before I took a break from Pokemon, and I probably thought they sucked since I had a horrible choice of moveset compared to what I was suggested).
Could one say that a Life Orb/Choice Gengar or a Talonflame could fit in as anti-fighting, or are they too offensive for it?

~~~

Mega Aggron
Relaxed
EV: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head
-Thunder Wave/Ice Punch (could Dragon Tail fit here?)
-Earthquake/Rock Slide

Mega Pinsir
Adamant
EV: HP/Atk
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Quick Attack
-Return

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Bold
EV: HP/SpA (Spe) OR HP/Def (SpA)
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-wisp
-Rest

Thick Fat Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Ice Shard
-Stealth Rock

Mold Breaker Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw

Pixilate Sylveon @ Leftovers
Modest
EV: HP/SpA (Def)
-Hyper Beam
-HP Fire
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind
Note: What do you guys think of Wish on Sylveon in this scenario?

~~

Currently have a Talonflame, Mawile, Volcarona, and Gliscor sitting in my mind now. You guys think any of these guys would fit in better than something that I already have?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
You're not taking advantage of Mega Pinsir's good 105 Speed. Investing in bulk is kind of a waste, since Mega Pinsir is bulky enough. Change the nature to Jolly and the EV spread to 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe. Pinsir really appreciates the extra Speed, despite having priority in Quick Attack.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Could one say that a Life Orb/Choice Gengar or a Talonflame could fit in as anti-fighting, or are they too offensive for it?
Gengar and Talonflame work good as well, but you have to be a bit more careful with them because they're kinda frail. Gengar can be killed by moderately strong neutral attacks, while Talonflame has a 4x Rock weakness and recoil damage to deal with.

Mega Aggron
Relaxed
EV: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head
-Thunder Wave/Ice Punch (could Dragon Tail fit here?)
-Earthquake/Rock Slide
I've always preferred Roar/Whirlwind to Dragon Tail as a phazing option. Phazes through subs(which annoy the crap outta me) and Fairies. If you want a phazing option on Mega Aggron, you can swap Earthquake/Rock Slide with Roar/Dragon Tail. It loses some coverage, but its worked fairly well for me.

Pixilate Sylveon @ Leftovers
Modest
EV: HP/SpA (Def)
-Hyper Beam
-HP Fire
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind
Note: What do you guys think of Wish on Sylveon in this scenario?

1) Don't use Wish on this set. I posted 2 Sylveon sets for a reason; you don't have enough move slots to make a mix of the 2 work, and they perform different functions. The first one is a bulky attacker, the second is a healer/defensive pivot thing.

2) I said Hyper VOICE, not Hyper BEAM. Hyper Beam is almost always a terrible option on a Pokémon.

Currently have a Talonflame, Mawile, Volcarona, and Gliscor sitting in my mind now. You guys think any of these guys would fit in better than something that I already have?
They're all good pokes, but IDK if you absolutely have to use any of them on this team...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Gengar and Talonflame work good as well, but you have to be a bit more careful with them because they're kinda frail. Gengar can be killed by moderately strong neutral attacks, while Talonflame has a 4x Rock weakness and recoil damage to deal with.

I've always preferred Roar/Whirlwind to Dragon Tail as a phazing option. Phazes through subs(which annoy the crap outta me) and Fairies. If you want a phazing option on Mega Aggron, you can swap Earthquake/Rock Slide with Roar/Dragon Tail. It loses some coverage, but its worked fairly well for me.

1) Don't use Wish on this set. I posted 2 Sylveon sets for a reason; you don't have enough move slots to make a mix of the 2 work, and they perform different functions. The first one is a bulky attacker, the second is a healer/defensive pivot thing.

2) I said Hyper VOICE, not Hyper BEAM. Hyper Beam is almost always a terrible option on a Pokémon.

They're all good pokes, but IDK if you absolutely have to use any of them on this team...
@Suskei: if you're curious about how to get Hyper Voice Sylveon, here's how: teach an Eevee Hyper Voice in Black 2/White 2 (an Eevee with Anticipation is preferred here), then transfer it over to X/Y with Poke Transfer. Then evolve Eevee into Sylveon.

Suskel

Absolute Zero
Years
Long time since I've posted on this. Anyways, I've had some time to think about my team, and the tourney begins in 11 days. I've taken into account advice I've received, but at this point I've changed my team a lot.

Here's my most recent post for help on another website:

~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, I'm participating in a relatively competitive tourney, though it's filled with more casual players than competitive.

I just need some advice. The only rule is no Legendaries, so we're free to use 'mons like Kangaskhan (though, I'll only pull her out if they pull out an equally bullcrap Pokemon).

My team is very much on the offensive side, but these are my best Pokemon I currently have.
I tried to cover as many weaknesses and whatnot as possible without losing the Kangaskhan influence.

Three of the Pokemon I am about to list are incomplete: Azumarill (Evolve, EVs, Item, Level), Gliscor (EVs, Level), Talonflame (Item, Steel Wing)

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy, Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spe
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Power-Up Punch
-Crunch

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change, Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak (Should I go Shadow Claw?)
-Sacred Sword

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal, Nature: Impish
EV: 244 HP, 252 Def, 12 Speed
-Protect
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Earthquake

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power, Nature: Adamant
-Aqua Jet
-Aqua Tail
-Play Rough
-Superpower

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wing, Nature: Adamant
EV: (I forgot, I know for sure there was Atk, and Speed, maybe a bit of HP?)
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Steel Wing
-U-Turn

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker, Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm a bit worried about Blaziken, so I want Azumarill in no matter what.
I'm also gonna keep Aegislash for fighting types. Out of all, Aegislash is probably the one I have the most experience with (he's wrecked a LOT).

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
You could always get a Belly Drum Azumarill and a Sitrus Berry. Use it on a mon that it's resistant to, so that they either switch out, or don't hit hard enough to really KO Azumarill.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Does this sound good then?

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
-Belly Drum
-Aqua Jet
-Aqua Tail
-Play Rough

Don't use Aqua Tail; use Waterfall instead. Azumarill can't afford to miss. Jolly with 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe is the ideal spread.

There's no need for Talonflame to use Steel Wing; it should just switch out against Rock Pokemon it comes up against and teammates should handle them. Instead, I'd use Tailwind in the last slot for a last-ditch effort to support the team.

Don't use Swords Dance + King's Shield Aegislash. It's too easy to play around:
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Pursuit/Iron Head/Sacred Sword
-King's Shield
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 244 HP/252 SAtk/12 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Substitute
-Toxic
-King's Shield
-Shadow Ball
Nature: Modest
EVs: 244 HP/252 SAtk/12 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword
-Sacred Sword/Pursuit
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Spooky Plate/Spell Tag

or
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head/Shadow Claw
-Sacred Sword/Head Smash
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Suskel

Absolute Zero
Years
I'll take your advice on taking Waterfall.

I see where you're going with Talonflame, but should I really use Tailwind on him as a Choice Banded set?

Also, really? I've had a ton of success with my current Aegislash moveset. I've been able to be the one to control the mind game of prediction. King's Shield has done well with getting healed by Leftovers, and it's pretty much GG if I manage to lower the opposing Pokemon's attack since I can easily take more hits for more Swords Dances.
I've been able to set up +4 and +6 consistently during my recent battles. This set has always been the star of my teams.

Though, I'd like to try a set you gave me, so I'll check it out.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'll take your advice on taking Waterfall.

I see where you're going with Talonflame, but should I really use Tailwind on him as a Choice Banded set?

Also, really? I've had a ton of success with my current Aegislash moveset. I've been able to be the one to control the mind game of prediction. King's Shield has done well with getting healed by Leftovers, and it's pretty much GG if I manage to lower the opposing Pokemon's attack since I can easily take more hits for more Swords Dances.
I've been able to set up +4 and +6 consistently during my recent battles. This set has always been the star of my teams.

Though, I'd like to try a set you gave me, so I'll check it out.
@Talonflame: Generally, yes. Tailwind is meant to be used just before Talonflame goes down.

Suskel

Absolute Zero
Years
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Power-Up Punch
-Crunch

Aegislash @ Leftovers
-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
-Protect
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Earthquake

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum

Talonflame @ Choice Band
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Tail Wind

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
-Swords Dance
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Alright, this is how my team currently looks. If there's any more advice you guys can give me, I'd appreciate it.

The only advice I'm not going to follow this time around is the advice for Aegislash, even though it's kind of rude of me to disregard any advice.
I just feel comfortable with my current moveset. I cover enough with it, and I have more control against Sucker Punch and other Aegislash's out there. (Basically, If I know for sure they are gonna King's Shield me or Sucker Punch me, I can SD/KS to avoid that. If I used my KS the turn before, then I'd be locked into having to take that if I didn't have SD. This has saved me plenty of times. I'm mostly scared about the 5 Kangaskhans I expect to see in the tourney).
Besides, I'm running out of time and don't want to breed a whole new Aegislash (because I'd make one with Sp.Atk and would like to keep my current one).

Is there any Pokemon that I should replace at all?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
You may wanna consider using Earthquake (instead of Crunch) on Mega Kangaskhan so it can power through Steel and Rock types.

I think that Gliscor's EVs are supposed to be 252 HP, 244 Defense, 12 Speed and not 244 HP, 252 Defense, 12 Speed. and Talonflame's EVs are something like 40 HP, 252 Attack, 212 Speed.

Also....I noticed that you don't have a single special attacking poke on your team. That might be a problem....

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Power-Up Punch
-Crunch

Aegislash @ Leftovers
-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
-Protect
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Earthquake

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum

Talonflame @ Choice Band
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Tail Wind

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
-Swords Dance
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Alright, this is how my team currently looks. If there's any more advice you guys can give me, I'd appreciate it.

The only advice I'm not going to follow this time around is the advice for Aegislash, even though it's kind of rude of me to disregard any advice.
I just feel comfortable with my current moveset. I cover enough with it, and I have more control against Sucker Punch and other Aegislash's out there. (Basically, If I know for sure they are gonna King's Shield me or Sucker Punch me, I can SD/KS to avoid that. If I used my KS the turn before, then I'd be locked into having to take that if I didn't have SD. This has saved me plenty of times. I'm mostly scared about the 5 Kangaskhans I expect to see in the tourney).
Besides, I'm running out of time and don't want to breed a whole new Aegislash (because I'd make one with Sp.Atk and would like to keep my current one).

Is there any Pokemon that I should replace at all?

You may wanna consider using Earthquake (instead of Crunch) on Mega Kangaskhan so it can power through Steel and Rock types.

I think that Gliscor's EVs are supposed to be 252 HP, 244 Defense, 12 Speed and not 244 HP, 252 Defense, 12 Speed. and Talonflame's EVs are something like 40 HP, 252 Attack, 212 Speed.

Also....I noticed that you don't have a single special attacking poke on your team. That might be a problem....
Going with what Zekrom said here.

If you want a special attacker, refer to the mixed and Toxic-stall Aegislash sets I posted. As I mentioned before, no one ever uses Swords Dance + King's Shield Aegislash. It was hyped when Aegislash was first revealed, but now people have found ways around it.

Suskel

Absolute Zero
Years
Alright then, how does this sound?

~~

Kangaskhan
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Power-Up Punch
-Earthquake

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change, Nature: Hasty
EV: 4 Atk, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Flash Cannon
-Sacred Sword

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
-Protect
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Earthquake

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EV: I actually need help here
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost
-Swords Dance (Tail Wind?)

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
-Swords Dance
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide (Should I take Shadow Claw to take out Trevenant and Gengar who block my Rapid Spin?)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Alright then, how does this sound?

~~

Kangaskhan
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Power-Up Punch
-Earthquake

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change, Nature: Hasty
EV: 4 Atk, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Flash Cannon
-Sacred Sword

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
-Protect
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Earthquake

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EV: I actually need help here
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost
-Swords Dance (Tail Wind?)

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
-Swords Dance
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide (Should I take Shadow Claw to take out Trevenant and Gengar who block my Rapid Spin?)
See the EV spread I suggested for Gliscor. It needs more Speed to get the jump on Mega Garchomp and opponents slower than that.

Jolly > Adamant on BellyJet Azumarill. Outspeeding Scizor and Wash Rotom is very helpful.

Use 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe for Talonflame. While Leftovers gives Talonflame some sustainability, Sharp Beak or Sky Plate powers up Brave Bird further. Use Swords Dance in the last slot.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
So, I have a question. I see the mixed set Aegislash. I always felt like it should have more EVs into the Mixed Set. Like 100+ in both attack and special attack? That way when you are using pursuit or other moves like that, you deal a little more damage.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So, I have a question. I see the mixed set Aegislash. I always felt like it should have more EVs into the Mixed Set. Like 100+ in both attack and special attack? That way when you are using pursuit or other moves like that, you deal a little more damage.

The reason why mixed Aegislash has the first half of its EVs put into Special Attack is because Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are the main STAB attacks and as a result, Aegislash needs all the power it can get.

Back