• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years

Rating: 2/10

Reason: There are tile errors, literally, everywhere. and those flowers shouldn't be together like that, also there's gonna be border errors.

Suggestions:Try and fix the tile errors, border errors, and get rid of those flowers

Map Name: Route D
Map Game: DarkGrey (Ruby)
Credits: First post of my hack (Currently undergoing acceptance)
Comments: Third route in my hack
Map:
Spoiler:
Whereas i like the fact that theres a bit of variety going on here, i feel that uniform trees, like someone said about mine, are boring, and i think this suffers more tha my map did. other than that there's a good natural feel happening and it woould be interesting to play.
rating: 7/10 - uniform trees and the icky pallette of the grasses cause this mark..

----------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

okay, so this is my town map improvement..
tress have been made more random, houses moved a bit, and paths made the same width.
what about this?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Map Name: Unnamed (Second Town / First Gym)
Spoiler:

If there's any problem with this post please PM me to correct it before deciding to delete. Thanks.

Rating: 5/10
There are several things in this map that I don't like. That house in the top left has two diferent types of doors, 2 signs in front of it and two types of fences. The map will probably have border errors. And that museam building at the bottom eft seems to be impossible to enter, thanks to the ledge. I do like the mountain, though.
Suggestions: Select one type of fence for that house and one type of door, and take away one of the signs. Make it possible to get to the museum, and add a few more significant features to the map, since it looks pretty bland.

And now for my map
Map Name: Moon Village
Map Game: Pokemon ShadowStone (hack of firered)
Comments: Starter town (and despite what you may think, there are no border errors)
Spoiler:

ase

learning How to Hack
Years
There are several things in this map that I don't like. That house in the top left has two diferent types of doors, 2 signs in front of it and two types of fences. The map will probably have border errors. And that museam building at the bottom eft seems to be impossible to enter, thanks to the ledge. I do like the mountain, though.
Suggestions: Select one type of fence for that house and one type of door, and take away one of the signs. Make it possible to get to the museum, and add a few more significant features to the map, since it looks pretty bland.

And now for my map
Map Name: Moon Village
Map Game: Pokemon ShadowStone (hack of firered)
Comments: Starter town (and despite what you may think, there are no border errors)
Spoiler:
Rating: 5/10 It's a decent map but nothing really stands out about it, plus the palettes are really bad. All in all, it has nothing original to offer:(
Suggestions: add foliage and make it a little more random and lively

Now my map!
Map Name: Village
Map Game: Emerald
Credits: Disturbed
Comments: just a map I made to practice with
Image:
Spoiler:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
Rating: 5/10 It's a decent map but nothing really stands out about it, plus the palettes are really bad. All in all, it has nothing original to offer:(
Suggestions: add foliage and make it a little more random and lively

Now my map!
Map Name: Village
Map Game: Emerald
Credits: Disturbed
Comments: just a map I made to practice with
Image:
Spoiler:
Review: First off, why is there grass in a town? Towns don't have grass in it. This town is empty and needs a little work. You need to add bushes. The flowers should go diagonal not in a line. Doesn't look right. Trees would be good as well because this map doesn't give too much shape. The building with that orange roof looks really wierd. I suggest you add a Pokemart since you have a PC.
Suggestions: Add a Pokemart, bushes, and trees. Take out some flowers.

Map Name: Not named
Rom Base: Fire Red
Image:
Spoiler:

Comments: Starting town for my hack Pokemon Knight's Stone.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Image:
Spoiler:

Comments: Starting town for my hack Pokemon Knight's Stone.

Rating: 7/10

Reason: This map is pleasant to look at! I would consider it an above-average map. It's nicely spaced, and is the perfect size for a starter town. However, there are several areas that could be improved in my eyes.

Suggestions: The first thing I noticed is that the paths are sporadic and windy. I would make them more uniform and straight. There are spots where the path is 2 tiles wide, and a spot where it is 5 tiles wide. To me, that just doesn't look right. The second thing I noticed that will give you troubles is that there will be border tile errors everywhere along the sides. The trees get offset by one tile with the little mountains you put in, and this will cause about half of the border to be off. Look at it in-game, if you're not sure what I mean. Lastly, the space in front of the Lab is rather bleak. Maybe add some trees or flowers to get rid of the plain grassy area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My turn!

Map Name: Verdance Wood
Map Game: Fire Red (for my hack, The Tempest)
Comments: You start at the bottom left.

Spoiler:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023

My turn!

Spoiler:

8/10
Very nice. Very logical placement of the grass and trees. Also I really like the short grass. Reminds me of Emerald's. Excellent idea.

There are a few dead ends but I mean overall, it's a great look. There's a green color around the base of the tree's which shouldn't be that color. No t major but definitely somehting to look into. Might I suggest fixing that in A-Map's built in palette editor.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Well, I'll rate this one.

I really like this map for a few reasons. There isn't a square aspect to it, it is a straightforward map. There are many dead ends that could have items in them, and the layout is nice overall. I would remove some of the grass though, there is a bit too much.
Now, for me
Map Name: Route 67

Map Game: Pokemon Gold

Comments: This map is a long map, and will require a bit of training to go through. There are many items, trainers, and a little island in the lake that holds a trainer and an item. I didn't focus on border errors, or the fact that there is 2 tile errors at the top of the lake, I couldn't find tiles to suit that purpose. If you recognize this map, it is very similar to the one in the contest thread, with some minor edits. Also, it may be a bit too square, so don't weigh that too heavily on the rating.

Mapshot: See attachment

I really like this map! :D It is quite complex, and is very natural in my opinion. You can see the amount of detail that went into it, and it looks like quite a challenging thread to go through. I'll rate it 9/10, however, due to the errors. (First time rating a Pokemon gold map. xD) I''m not that keen on the random boulders/mountains within the trees, but I guess that's just personal preference. Anyway, it looks like Game Freak could have made it themselves. Good job! :D

Map Name: New Path

Map Game: The Game the Map has been made in. FireRed

Comments: A rather simple map; it is the first route in my ROM hack. Places travel from the left to the right, and can use the upper path as a shortcut. Some people may have noticed I entered it into the map off. ;)

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Map Name: New Path

Map Game: The Game the Map has been made in. FireRed

Comments: A rather simple map; it is the first route in my ROM hack. Places travel from the left to the right, and can use the upper path as a shortcut. Some people may have noticed I entered it into the map off. ;)

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
I think it looks a bit dull. I know it's just a first Route, but it looks plain.
You have alot of tree shadowing errors, and I think there's a tiny bit too much flowers(Mostly in the top part), so I'll give you a 5/10.
Add some bushes to it, and although you aren't supposed to have to walk through grass on the way back, you could add some that you don't have to walk through. And, to make it look a little bit better, you could add some sand paths between the grass.
-------------------------
So, here's my map, also from the Get Together Map off:

Name: Route 1
Spoiler:

Let's see how my map goes here. :3
Credits Alistair and PHO.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years

Reason: This map is pleasant to look at! I would consider it an above-average map. It's nicely spaced, and is the perfect size for a starter town. However, there are several areas that could be improved in my eyes.

Suggestions: The first thing I noticed is that the paths are sporadic and windy. I would make them more uniform and straight. There are spots where the path is 2 tiles wide, and a spot where it is 5 tiles wide. To me, that just doesn't look right. The second thing I noticed that will give you troubles is that there will be border tile errors everywhere along the sides. The trees get offset by one tile with the little mountains you put in, and this will cause about half of the border to be off. Look at it in-game, if you're not sure what I mean. Lastly, the space in front of the Lab is rather bleak. Maybe add some trees or flowers to get rid of the plain grassy area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My turn!

Spoiler:

Review: I like this map. A lot. It looks very natural, as well as being very maze like, which forests should be.
Rating: 10/10

Map name: Obsidian Cave
Map game: Pokemon DarkGrey
Comments: Just a small cave, with some powerful Pokemon, and some trainers. The square at the bottom is supposed to be there, and it's square for a reason. I will not say this reason.
Credits: Kyledove/Kymotonian
Map:
Spoiler:

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years

Map name: Obsidian Cave
Map game: Pokemon DarkGrey
Comments: Just a small cave, with some powerful Pokemon, and some trainers. The square at the bottom is supposed to be there, and it's square for a reason. I will not say this reason.
Credits: Kyledove/Kymotonian
Map:

Fantastic map. It's simple but very pleasing to the eyes. The palettes are amazing.

10/10

--

Map name: Koh River
Map game: Unnamed hack of Fire Red
Comments: This is the beginning town. It's very small for the reason that I wanted to keep it very old fashioned, as if technology hasn't gotten there. I also made it so that the cave connects it to a sister city, where you will get your Pokedex (but you get your starters in this city.)
Credits: TB Pro, Kyledove, Saurav, Alistair

Spoiler:

Map name: Spar Cave
Comments: Supposed to be a little bit of a complex maze cave. :3

Spoiler:

Map name: Sozen City
Comments: This is the city with the first gym. It's supposed to be very tranquil. I couldn't figure out how to map the waterfall and river on the rocks perfectly. Forgive me ;_;

Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Map name: Koh River
Comments: This is the beginning town. It's very small for the reason that I wanted to keep it very old fashioned, as if technology hasn't gotten there. I also made it so that the cave connects it to a sister city, where you will get your Pokedex (but you get your starters in this city.)

Spoiler:
Review: Well, I don't really like it. The ocean and mountains make it look like a route. And there are rocks in the ocean that aren't needed. The flowers and tree placements seem random also. It would make a nice route though, actually.
Suggestions: Maybe if it was a route then it would look nicer. Fix the flower placements, and try making it look less-random. =]

Map Name: Greenwood Town
Map Game: FireRed
Comments: It's alright. Made it for fun. Please rate/review it with honesty, to make it better. ;] Credits to Wesley FG, Zein, & Alucus_of_Borg for tiles.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
Reviewed Map:

Review: Well, I don't really like it. The ocean and mountains make it look like a route. And there are rocks in the ocean that aren't needed. The flowers and tree placements seem random also. It would make a nice route though, actually.
Suggestions: Maybe if it was a route then it would look nicer. Fix the flower placements, and try making it look less-random. =]

Map Name: Greenwood Town
Comments: It's alright. Made it for fun. Please rate/review it with honesty, to make it better. ;] Credits to Wesley FG, Zein, & Alucus_of_Borg for tiles.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

I don't understand how random is bad, since that's how it is in real life? :/ And it is supposed to look like a route, hence the name. And the rocks are there to stop people from surfing out into nothing.

There's also a reason why there are so many fallen rocks. I won't post why, but you can PM me for it if you actually care. :P

Your map has way to much empty space. Doesn't look natural at all. The map is completely square, which is a horrible thing to do.

But, the tiles are absolutely beautiful. If you just added a tree (or two) in the center) and made the rim a bit more natural (i.e. natural) it would look so much more better.

Even though it is very square and empty, I like the idea of the map, and I love the tiles and palettes.

8/10

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
Destiny demon map
here my review to the map.
OK!
Let get started, why don't we.
I like this map but the problem is the shape and squareness.
I mean the path are in 2 tile space, try making it more spacious.
I also recommend making the shape more complex, not too.
Try to make it more fun to go around and not to easy and boring.
Your rating 6\10

My map:
Name : Route 225
hack Pokemon Starlight

map shot
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Map name: Sozen City
Comments: This is the city with the first gym. It's supposed to be very tranquil. I couldn't figure out how to map the waterfall and river on the rocks perfectly. Forgive me ;_;

Spoiler:
Review:This one looks much better. I'm guessing you have a reason to put un-needed rocks at the top of the river? Anyways, This map looks nice and natural. The thing I don't like is the empty spaces at the clumps of trees. You could add a tree in those empty spaces, so why make spaces?
Suggestions: You know that tree north-east of the Pokemon Center? You could remove it and fix the grass path. And fill in trees at the empty spaces. Also, Those two fat trees in front of the gym is not necessary. You should remove them.

Map Name: Antian City
Comments: This map is more bigger than the last, and is the second city in a certain hack. It maybe took, 1-2 hours to make? I dunno, I don't remember. But that's not important. xP. Those two towers... Well when I showcase this certain hack you'll find out why they're there.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
Reviewed Map:

Review:This one looks much better. I'm guessing you have a reason to put un-needed rocks at the top of the river? Anyways, This map looks nice and natural. The thing I don't like is the empty spaces at the clumps of trees. You could add a tree in those empty spaces, so why make spaces?
Suggestions: You know that tree north-east of the Pokemon Center? You could remove it and fix the grass path. And fill in trees at the empty spaces. Also, Those two fat trees in front of the gym is not necessary. You should remove them.

Comments: This map is more bigger than the last, and is the second city in a certain hack. It maybe took, 1-2 hours to make? I dunno, I don't remember. But that's not important. xP. Those two towers... Well when I showcase this certain hack you'll find out why they're there.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

The rocks are there because of a landslide (a mission in the game is to remove them to go north.) And the trees are like that because it's a lumbering town. The others wont be like that <3

You're new map is very nice. It looks like a very nice town. 9/10

The only suggestion is in the circled space, you should add something. A sign with some flowers maybe? Another tree? Something

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
DuoRyan said:
My map:
hack Pokemon Starlight

map shot
Spoiler:

Review: This appears to be a nice early map, the concept is simple, there is a lot of space for the player and I believe that it is effective in creating a relaxed scene. There are really only two tthings which I feel I should point out that are issues in what is otherwise a good map. In the top-right grass patch, you have a tree and a bush that are randomly placed in the middle of the patch - I'm not sure why you have done that, but I feels as if they are restrictive - The great sense of space you have throughout the map suddenly disappears when you arrive at that section. I'd advise you to either remove the tree and bush, or put them in the corners to ensure that they have little to no effect on the player while still looking nice.

My second niggling issue would have to be the path in the top left as it is absolutely massive and is interrupted by the tree and flower. It would probably look better if you broke it up into two parts anyway.

Suggestions: As I said in the review, (re)move the bush-tree and break up the top-left pathway. A few more flowers wouldn't hurt either.

You don't have to do this, but I'd advise you to making corner tiles for the lake as it sorely needs them ._.

Overall, this is a good map, but a few little tweaks wouldn't hurt it.

Destiny Demon said:
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Review: Surmonter is correct in regards to the empty space in the top-left, it is quite empty in comparisson to the rest of the map and needs to have some more stuff going on. Your width in this map could be more consistent as it seems to be changing pretty often in what is a relatively small space. Its generally accepted that grass in towns isn't a good idea, but your map is your map - Do what you want with it. That area with also has a problem - You have created a one-tile path which really restricts the player's movement, so I'd advise you to widen that.

Suggestions: Fill up the empty space on the left with stuff - Trees, flowers, a house - Whatever you want. Have a think about the grass and one-tile path which I mentioned in the review. Might as well widen the path infront of the Mart by removing the top row of trees below it while you're at it. A few more flowers wouldn't hurt to brighten the map up a little bit :D

Its a good map, but some extras would help bring it out into its own :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
My map:
hack Pokemon Starlight

map shot
Spoiler:

Review: This is not a bad map. But the grass paths seem to big, it doesn't look nice. It takes up all the space, which where you can put flowers.The green bush thing in the middle of tall grass is unneeded. And at the top of the map where there are two flowers, it can be replaced by a tree.
Suggestions: Make a tree where those two flowers are at the top of the map. Remove the bush and replace it with tall grass. Make grass paths a little thinner. :)

Map Name: Rosaceus Forest
Comments: A map I made last night and felt too lazy to upload xD; It's a forest, but there's a gym well, the leader's a bug lover. =) And I used big trees because well, it's a forest. I think this is one of my best maps. Anyways, here it is:
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Map Name: Rosaceus Forest
Comments: A map I made last night and felt too lazy to upload xD; It's a forest, but there's a gym well, the leader's a bug lover. =) And I used big trees because well, it's a forest. I think this is one of my best maps. Anyways, here it is:
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Uh, sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with the statement that this is one of your best maps. It has major flaws that need fixing before I'd class it up there (it's not bad, but some of your other maps are waaaaaay better.) You're generally offering the player 2-3 spaces to walk through in the majority of the map I tend to look on 3-5 as the stock amount in my maps; of course, it's your mapping style you can interpret that however you wish. I counted all the tile errors this maps contains and came up to four, which isn't too high a number compared to other maps but still, nevertheless, disappointing and unwanted in a map. Your mountains seem to be extremely awkward to me, you have mountains in an area but don't have any small rocks to accompany them? Just seems a bit strange and ill-fitting in my opinion. Also, I tend to use either two or mountain layers because it looks nice and it still keeps borders perfectly fine. You can use one if you want but I suggest you use two layers based on my personal experience. However, the map's biggest flaw is the fact that you can walk through to the gym and through the whole map without battling a wild Pokémon. You can battle trainers, sure; but you want to have the security and familiarity of battling wild Pokémon in your maps. Your tree placement is really obscure, too; in some places your trees and naturally placed and in others they're compactly placed, you should probably stick to one style placement. I really dislike your flower placement, too, I suggest you group them in twos or threes and a lot more sporadically, too.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I think it looks a bit dull. I know it's just a first Route, but it looks plain.
You have alot of tree shadowing errors, and I think there's a tiny bit too much flowers(Mostly in the top part), so I'll give you a 5/10.
Add some bushes to it, and although you aren't supposed to have to walk through grass on the way back, you could add some that you don't have to walk through. And, to make it look a little bit better, you could add some sand paths between the grass.
-------------------------
So, here's my map, also from the Get Together Map off:

Spoiler:

Just bumping my map.
No-one rated it. D:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Spoiler:

Review: Alright, let's see, it's not bad for a first route. =3 But you could add more. It looks plain. All there is is tall grass, (actually that's all it needs, xD;), but maybe make it longer, since that looks kind of easy... But, there's that cave. Do you go out or in to it? If out, then that route can stay the same, if going in it, then make the route longer because it's short.
Suggestions: Well, make it longer if you're working your way to inside the cave, since that's pretty easy. Maybe add ledges? But either than that, it looks like a nice map.

Map Name: Presinus Maze
Comments: I guess it's not that bad. =P It's for my hack Destiny. A maze... Is it easy or hard? Or normal? I dunno, I think it's fine.. But what do you guys think?
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back