• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I ditched mine as soon as I caught something else. I think it was harder (especially since you're really skimped for choice outside of Riolu until you get to Virbank) but more rewarding. The main problem is the lack of good water-types available pre-E4. I don't think you can find the Water Stone until really late in the game, which basically leaves you with Azumarill and Jellicent (and the Water starter) as your only usable options.

I know what you mean, though. All the starters in this gen really start to fall behind near the end of the game. My Samurott in White was really only an HM Slave with Megahorn at the end.

If I were to restart my game, I'd do it again. It's a lot harder in the beginning of the game, though.
I think azumarill is a pretty good water poke. Psyduck is also quite good too .

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
Years
My starter is currently at Servine level and I do prefer to keep it in my party out of sentimentality. But I do keep finding I have to switch it out for better Pokes for some of the gym battles.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I ditched my starter both times in White. However, this time I decided to keep my starter (Snivy) in my team and I've enjoyed it. Maybe one day I'll give Emboar a shot but I think I can finally say that I like a Unova starter which is well ... Snivy.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Uh, no...I never ditch my starter...at least until the Elite Four. It's been that way since the first time I played. Right now, it's in my party and I'm cycling around, waiting for Route 18's Hidden Grotto to be generated with a Chatot inside. But once I get two of those Chatot, well...it's gonna get ditched into the PC and I'll use some events to try and plow through the PWT's Johto Leaders tournament...the hardest for me...I still haven't won that one yet.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2015
I can never bring myself to ditch my starter, but I have used it significantly less in this game than I normally do and focused more on overall team building. That said, I still don't feel right unless I keep the starter in my party throughout the whole game.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
such disrespect. I'll never put up my starter. *epic fist shake*
but seriously, nah, I never do that. I always keep my starter no matter which gen. And it always be a level ahead of my other Pokemon, cuz that's how it should be. >.<

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 10, 2023
I've always chose my starter thinking of an HM slave. Recently, I've been coosing starters just to choose my rival(s)' team(s).
But since in Black 2 i finally found an action replay code that removes my need of wasting movesolts with HMs [apart from fly, that is], I could finally be happy and have an actual team of six pokémon, even though some of them will only get their places post-game or nearly so, which is a pity. But I guess Oshawott might be usable in B2W2 until you get a Starmie, Floatzel, or if you don't mind slow pokés, a Vaporeon, Jellicent. But if you don't mind him being slow I guess you could keep him, or get a Lapras.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I chose Samurott for my W2 run, and I'll admit I haven't used her much, but I still trained her and kept her in my team as my water-type. There were always better Pokemon to use against gym leaders and the E4 and other important battles, I guess. Thing is, she ended up beating Iris almost by herself, so she is definitely staying for the Water-type Champ medal, and afterwards probably as an HM slave surf/waterfall/dive user.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Though I like Tepig. I don't like his evos. Snivy and Oshawotts lines I like. But I uselly end up just using Charizard/Empoleon sense those 2 are still my favs. Blaziken being a close 2nd.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2012
Yeah, I droped my snivy instantly for purloin. Now I use ponyta as my main. Its not that I was unimpressed with the starters but I always use them straight through. I thought it would be more fun to use something different.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I started with Tepig in White, and Oshawott in Black, so for Black 2, I thought to myself "Why not pick Snivy?" I didn't like his move set, so I traded in a Charizard after the first gym, and let Snivy stay in the box.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
kinda i tradewd my lv5 tipig for an embore :P
(tipig = black2) (embore=white1)

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I've never ditched my starter before i finish the game, so I haven't for this game either. And I personally found Samurott to be extremely useful. This time I'll use Emboar, so dunno yet tho.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2015
It's easy to ditch starters in B2/W2 because there are so many better replacements.

Volcarona can be used to replace emboar. (Keep in mind it has bad moves at the beginning but great moves once it levels more).

Jellicent can replace Samurott (good moves such as shadow ball and surf and also great sp. defence. bad side is that frillish is crap. But has two great abilities like cursed body for any electric moves and water absorb for easy healing).

Ferrothorn or Lilligant to replace Serperior (Ferrothorn and rocky helmet for any physical attackers also doesn't have a bad moveset like power whip and iron head. Lilligant can have quiver dance and HP stealing moves like giga drain)

If I had the choice to choose a starter from previous gens, it would have to be squirtle. Not only is he my favourite pokemon, but Blastoise is bulky and can pack a punch.

All in all, you have to change up pokemon and find their strengths to really find what ones work for you.

Last edited:

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
At first I ditch my starter to the Box.
Then when there are enough pokemon seen in the pokedex.
I trade them to get the pokemon i want.

I don't ditch 1st and 3rd starters.
I ditch the 4th and 5th gen starters

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2012
I got Genesect from the mystery gift then used him instead of Serperior untill the 5th gym. Now i use him instead as my main.

Back