• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Red Gyarados

KnockFan

Just a Beginner ...
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
When I caught the Red Gyarados in Gold, I used it as one of my HM slaves.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 26, 2014
Got him always. but the first time I caught him, I forgot to save and therefore lost it. My bat was gone and had to charge for like a day -_-

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Best HM Slave for Waterfall IMO. Too bad I HAD to take Feraligatr in Gold. Or else I would have used him.

Good for chain-breeding Shiny Magikarps, however. I was lucky enough to get a female shiny Magikarp, after which I managed to get more Shiny Magikarps, and finally got other Shinies. It isn't easy, I spent sleepless months doing this. Now if I got Colloseum...

I really liked the "master of Lake of Rage" part, though.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
I always caught the red Gyarados because it seemed really cool. I loved that it was a shiny Pokemon that was guaranteed to appear. I never used it tho I just kept it as a collector's item or as an HM slave for moves like Whirlpool and Waterfall.

Kokonoé1

Demon Overlord Top
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 27, 2019
Coolest thing ever to see Red Gyarados for the first time, all shining with the ching-ching-ching sound. To be honest, I haven't ever found a wild shiny Pokemon outside of Red Gyarados despite playing all the mainline games for many hours. Well, least Gen II gave me some slack with Red Gyarados. Haha.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I always caught the Red Gyarados, though I don't think I ever really bothered training it. For me, if a Pokémon could be seen on the overworld map prior to the battle (as in the case of Gyarados, Sudowoodo, and legendaries), it was worth my while to save first and battle it as many times as necessary to catch it. In Gyarados's case, I think I caught it the first time, though.

I do believe I dragged it along with me when I went to battle the Elite Four, but that was because the only Pokémon I had was a (fairly weak, unevolved) Totodile when I first played through Gold. I think it mainly served as attack fodder while I revived/healed Totodile.

Years
Besides my first starter, getting that red Gyrados was the first Pokemon I remember being completely, totally over the moon about catching. I just felt so cool and so accomplished, and every run through I made sure to get him.

Except, for some reason, when I got HeartGold, I forgot about him and spent all my Pokewalker time leveling up a Magikarp to get a Gyarados, only realizing halfway through that a hand-delivered shiny Gyarados with a good moveset was waiting for me.

D'oh.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I caught her first time around but it was female and even today I won't use or even look at a female pokemon for some reason it's super sexist but I just hated it since I was under the impression the male is the strongest but some pokemon that I caught that were female I kept just never used. I actually don't mind feminine looking pokemon being female but I hate feminine looking pokemon being male, ralts must be a girl unless I want gallade, Heatran must be a guy cause it looks like a guy jigglypuff has to be a girl and so on

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I'd just save right before battling it so I could always know if I needed more Pokéballs or a different lead to catch him.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I thought Red Gyarados was epic when I first saw it. I didn't even realise it was a shiny, I thought it was a stronger version of the original Gyarados. I used it throughout the game, even in the Kanto area.

Condroid 2.0

Artificial Humanoid Being
Years
I never really was a fan of Gyrados, and him being red didn't change my opinion in the least. That and the fact that he kept destroying my team made me lust for his blood. It was so satisfying when my level 14 Togapi annihilated him with metronome. ^.^
I do admit though, after playing through the game again recently, I've found him to be extremely helpful in defeating the Elite Four.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
I pretty much always caught it on playthroughs because as a kid my favorite pokemon was Gyrados.... so to have a RED one was big stuff. I never used it though, and never had a Gyrados for a main.

Back