• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★Simple Vanilla★ - Normal Type Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
About time I join this club!

Name: Avishka
Partner Pokemon: Pidgey, Ursaring and Snorlax
Reason for Joining: they're one of my favourite types, normal type is simply a diverse and a big type and most of them are cute <33
Answer the current topic:
What Normal types would you like to make stronger in terms of stats, abilities and moveset?
Normal types are not used often. i would like to see Braviary and Azurill stronger
Favorite Normal Type Move: Body Slam and Pay Day <33

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Welcome to the Club :D

Actually I think half of the normal type population is somewhat bulky. The other half is exceedingly frail. The sad fact is that most normal types just arn't that effective in battle.

Oh and you said explosion was your favorite normal move. I was always afraid to use it ingame cuz when your pokemon was knocked out it looses friendship. I wasnt sure if explosion or selfdestruct counted for that though Dx
I just thought it was fun to use since it does a lot of damage. I didn't know it lowered friendship also D:

Reason for Joining: they're one of my favourite types, normal type is simply a diverse and a big type and most of them are cute <33
What Normal types would you like to make stronger in terms of stats, abilities and moveset?
Normal types are not used often. i would like to see Braviary and Azurill stronger
I agree with you that most of the Normal types are cute. <3 I remember using Pay Day with a Meowth to earn lots of money and combined with the Amulet Coin I made quite a lot. xD

Reactions: EB

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I agree with you that most of the Normal types are cute. <3 I remember using Pay Day with a Meowth to earn lots of money and combined with the Amulet Coin I made quite a lot. xD
if i had meowth/persian in my team i used pay day a lot just to get money....xD XD it was fun..:P

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years

Welcome to the club :D!

As for the topic. thats pretty interesting. What aspect about Braviary would you like to be improved?

I just thought it was fun to use since it does a lot of damage. I didn't know it lowered friendship also D:
I'm not sure if it does lower friendship. I was just often worried that it might due to a pokemon's friendship being lowered when it faints. But they might not have made explosion count towards that, ya know?

:O I never thought of that before!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I'm not sure if it does lower friendship. I was just often worried that it might due to a pokemon's friendship being lowered when it faints. But they might not have made explosion count towards that, ya know?
That's a good question and I've never thought if cause of a Pokemon fainting from using Explosion it might lower friendship. I guess only use it when absolutely necessary then lol

:O I never thought of that before!
Yeah I did that when I needed lots of money to buy stuff since it added up fast lol

CourageHound

Years
Alrigt, well since the topic is pretty static, how about a new one?

What exactly classifies a pokemon as a normal type? Are there pokemon that arn't normal type that you think should be?

I think a pokemon is classified as a normal type if there is extreme simplicity in its design or if it is very similar to a real world animal without verging off into an elemental type. Like say Ursaring originating from a land bear with no real outstanding qualities would be normal type as opposed to a Typhlosion who would most likely be normal type if it wern't for its fiery vents. A platypus could be normal/water type like other mammalian pokemon that spend a lot of their time in the water like Biberal.

No other pokemon who should be normal type immediately come to mind. I'll point some out later if I find some.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
What exactly classifies a Pokemon as a normal type? Are there pokemon that aren't normal type that you think should be?

For me I think of a normal type as being, well, normal. There really isn't anything special about them, although most of them are so cute. :D I also think of them as being closely related to real animals without being changed too much. As for Pokemon that should be normal type but aren't... I can't think of any off the top of my head :/

CourageHound

Years
After thinking about it some, I think Arcanine and growlithe could be normal types. Its not impossible because most all normal types can learn elemental moves and Arcanine's design is simple enough. No fire protruding from anywhere. A change of color to say brown and bam, ya got a normal type Arcanine.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
Years
can i join?

NAME: hiinotama
PARDNERS: Scott the Zigzagoon and Chief the Kecleon.
WHY JOIN? i didn't want to join at first, but after checking the top post and looking through the NORMALtype Pokémon, i realised there's actually so many of them i absolutely adore. so i had no choice. {XD} my favourite Pokémon are always the ones that stand out. and in a way, to me, the NORMALtype stands out exactly because of what it's supposed to be; normal. it's the only type that doesn't really specify what it's about.

current topic: NORMALtype CHARACTERISTICS? WOULD-BE NORMALtypes?
like others remarked already, i think what characterizes a NORMALtype would be the fact they're often directly based off real-life animals. for that reason, to make them truly into a Pokémon rather than just an anime-ified animal, they have other quirks that make them 'supernatural'. other types have their typing itself as this quirk, and i think this is what makes NORMALtypes so much fun; they're completely themselves, and don't have anything they need to 'live up to'.
apart from that, obviously a big characteristic of NORMALtypes is that their attacks are not super-effective to any other type, yet they do have one weakness and one immunity. again, this makes the typing itself very 'simple', exactly because they don't have such a wide scala of (non-)effectiveness.
right now i can't think of any Pokémon that should be NORMALtyped, but i'll get back to you if i do.

sorry if i rambled. >_>

CourageHound

Years
can i join?

NAME: hiinotama
PARDNERS: Scott the Zigzagoon and Chief the Kecleon.
WHY JOIN? i didn't want to join at first, but after checking the top post and looking through the NORMALtype Pokémon, i realised there's actually so many of them i absolutely adore. so i had no choice. {XD} my favourite Pokémon are always the ones that stand out. and in a way, to me, the NORMALtype stands out exactly because of what it's supposed to be; normal. it's the only type that doesn't really specify what it's about.

current topic: NORMALtype CHARACTERISTICS? WOULD-BE NORMALtypes?
like others remarked already, i think what characterizes a NORMALtype would be the fact they're often directly based off real-life animals. for that reason, to make them truly into a Pokémon rather than just an anime-ified animal, they have other quirks that make them 'supernatural'. other types have their typing itself as this quirk, and i think this is what makes NORMALtypes so much fun; they're completely themselves, and don't have anything they need to 'live up to'.
apart from that, obviously a big characteristic of NORMALtypes is that their attacks are not super-effective to any other type, yet they do have one weakness and one immunity. again, this makes the typing itself very 'simple', exactly because they don't have such a wide scala of (non-)effectiveness.
right now i can't think of any Pokémon that should be NORMALtyped, but i'll get back to you if i do.

sorry if i rambled. >_>

Welcome to the club! Don't worry about it, its always nice when people go into detail~

Sorry for the late response. Final exams are underway and whatnot...

Anyway, i agree on the fact that most normal types are based on real life animals. But ya know alot of pokemon in the "Field"/"Ground" egg group are predominantly based off real life animals. Another pokemon that could be normal type that's another type(that's also based off an animal) is Mightyena. When you look at it, there seems to be little that could be atributed to its pure dark typing besides it coloration. Now say if you take its shiny form(which is brown) and substituted that for its primary coloration, then there really wouldnt be much sense in it being a dark type.

Another animal like pokemon with barely any alteration from its natural animal is Arbok. It looks like your average giant snake. But its poison type because it has that special quality of having venom. This indicates that normal types might require no more than a general/simple design or origin. I can imagine how challenging it could be to turn animals into pokemon though while keeping a certain theme or tone in your designs.

crimsonskarmory

Alchemist
Years
Could I join?

Name: crimsonskarmory
Partner: Jake the Snubbull, Hamlet the Ambipom
Why I want to join: Well I just really wanted to be part of a fan club really, and Ambipom is one of my favorite Pokémon. So I thought why not join a normal type fan club..

What exactly classifies a pokemon as a normal type? Are there pokemon that arn't normal type that you think should be?
Well most people have already said it but its because they are just normal Pokémon. They are usually based on real life animals. One Pokémon that comes to mind that I think should be a normal type is Stunky and its evolution. Like I said normal types are usually based on real life animals and Stunky is based on a skunk. To me a Poison and Normal type more suits it.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
Years
Anyway, i agree on the fact that most normal types are based on real life animals. But ya know alot of pokemon in the "Field"/"Ground" egg group are predominantly based off real life animals. Another pokemon that could be normal type that's another type(that's also based off an animal) is Mightyena. When you look at it, there seems to be little that could be atributed to its pure dark typing besides it coloration. Now say if you take its shiny form(which is brown) and substituted that for its primary coloration, then there really wouldnt be much sense in it being a dark type.

Another animal like pokemon with barely any alteration from its natural animal is Arbok. It looks like your average giant snake. But its poison type because it has that special quality of having venom. This indicates that normal types might require no more than a general/simple design or origin. I can imagine how challenging it could be to turn animals into pokemon though while keeping a certain theme or tone in your designs.

i'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with what i said now {XD}
but yeah, i agree with what you're saying. nearly all Pokémon are somehow based on animals in the first place, but i think NORMALtype is the only one who just doesn't need to undergo any 'typification' - mostly colouration. Mightyena is indeed labeled as a DARKtype for its black and grey colours, but honestly as far as i'm concerned even in its normal form it could've been NORMAL/DARKtyped, like Liepard.
as for Arbok, i'm less inclined to agree because its POISONtype-ification is its colour IMO. i've never seen a purple cobra... but i see what you're saying. :)

One Pokémon that comes to mind that I think should be a normal type is Stunky and its evolution. Like I said normal types are usually based on real life animals and Stunky is based on a skunk. To me a Poison and Normal type more suits it.

Stunky could've been a NORMALtype yes, but i do think Skuntank definitely has that evil characteristic to it that makes it a DARKtype. Stunky is still slightly more on the cute side i suppose, closer to the actual animal that couldve made it a NORMALtype.
but i guess somewhere that Stunky naughtiness could still amount to a DARKtype... or maybe a complete type change was too much of a change for the developers. i don't think i've ever seen a Pokémon actually change types over evolution, they always just get added or removed, no?

crimsonskarmory

Alchemist
Years
Yeah that would be really weird to have the type change completely. And now that I think of it I have never seen a Pokémon change types either. I completely agree with your statement.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
There is at least one Normal type Pokemon that changes types completely when it evolves. Eevee is a Normal type but all of it's evolutions are completely different types. I dunno if that's what you actually meant though about type changes lol

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Username: CloysterOyster
Partner Pokémon: Eevee and Porygon
My reason for joining: Normal types are underrated and need some love
Current topic: I chose Eevee because of the fact it can evolve into 7 other Pokémon. I also chose Porygon because it's overlooked.
Favorite Normal type move: Hyper Beam

Years
Name: Regeneration
Partner Pokemon: Togepi
Why I joined: The topics here sounded interesting.

What exactly classifies a pokemon as a normal type? Are there pokemon that aren't normal type that you think should be?
I'm guessing cause they have nothing special? That ought to get some shoes thrown at me here. Pokemon that should be normal types.. nothing comes to mind. ;____;

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
What exactly classifies a Pokemon as a normal type? Are there pokemon that aren't normal type that you think should be?

As most people already mentioned, what makes them Normal types, is basically the fact that they're "normal". A lot of them are based on real-life animals, however it also seems as though it's the go-to typing for Pokemon that just don't really fit in anywhere, so while not all of them are based on animals and other creatures we're familiar with, they make up like 90% of Normal types. And I kinda agree with Regeneration here, that most of them actually don't have anything special to them, but some of the most special Pokemon in my opinion are also Normal types, so it's kinda mixed. I mean, Pokemon like Eevee, Castform and the Porygon line are definitely special with their unique evolutions and abilities, so yeah, can't claim that all of them aren't special.

But yeah, just because they aren't based on some kind of awesome mythological, it doesn't mean they're any less cool ;) Pidgey ftw!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I always saw Normal type as being the "this pokemon doesn't have any notable elements associated with it" type, but that was somewhat ruined by the addition of Pokémon such as Sawsbuck that're given both Normal and an elemental typing haha (unless the Normal is there to indicate an 'affinity' to the typing rather than having 'elemental powers' from it?). I think Normal types now mean a much more general type of Pokémon - beast/animal like Pokémon perhaps? Or perhaps just something that if you kick it it'll do lots of damage :p

I think Olli summarised well, bar the Pidgey comment. ;)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Pokemon could be classified as a normal type because its generally have some real-life animal feel, with some exceptions. They generally don't specialize in any types, so it's recognizable.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

Normal-types to me are Pokemon that don't possess any sort of unnatural look to them. They're just that, normal. They don't have huge wings, claws or can breathe fire- something which only remains in legends. They're realistic creatures generally, in my opinion. For example Bibarel is exactly like a beaver in a sense, it builds in dams, does hard work etc. Normal types to me are Pokemon that just don't have that supernatural look or quality to them with a few exceptions.

As for any Pokemon being retyped into normal, I honestly can't think of any at the moment. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back