• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide: How to Trade/Battle Pokemon over Wifi (FR/LG/R/S/E)

DarkPrince304

Back to Hacking after exams!!!
Years
Hello there Guys
Its me DarkPrince
This is my very first Tutorial here on PokeCommunity
I don't know if anyone knows how to do it but in this Tutorial I will teach you how trade/battle wirelessly with each other using Emulators.

Things you will Need:
VBALink (Visual Boy Advance with Wireless Connectiviy)
Link:http://www.vbalink.info/download/vbalink180b0.zip

A Pokemon Game ROM( I will use Fire Red)
Link:Google it

A Net Connection

A Fast Computer(Sometimes while trading/battling your emulator can become slow)

Process
-Open VBALink
-Don't open the game
-Go to Options->Emulators->Save Type->Put a Tick on Flash 128k
-Go to Options->Emulators->Put a Tick on Pause when inactive window
-Then Go to Options->Link->Put a tick on Wireless Adapter
-Then ask your friend to do the same
-Then Go to Options->Link->Settings->Tick on Network not Single Computer(Single Computer if you want to trade with yourself :P)
-Then Again go to Options->Link->Settings->Server->Press Start
-You will see an IP Address in a box(Don't close the box till you are connected)
-Tell your friend to go to Options->Link->Settings->Client->And erase the word "localhost"
-Tell your friend the IP Address you see and write the IP Address where "localhost" was written and press Connect
-Both of you will be connected then :D
-Go to Pokemon Center and talk to the lady
-Choose Trade Pokemon/Battle or whatever
-Happy Trading/Battling

And if you want to trade with yourself then(Fast Speed)
-Open 2 VBALinks
-Then Go to Options->Link->Settings->Tick on Single Computer
-Open a same ROM in both VBALinks
-Now put the Pokemon you want to trade on top of your party(I will put a Weak Pokemon like rattata in 1 VBALink and a Kadabra in other VBALink)
-Go to Pokemon Center and talk to the lady(those IP Stuff is not for single computer)
-Choose Trade Pokemon
-Both VBALink will be having same keys btw(just telling)
-Trade over your Kadabra to 1st VBALink and rattata to the other
-Then Kadabra will evolve into Alakazam
-Save your game with your Alakazam(Beware always use a weak Pokemon as my Rattata is lost forever XDD that's why i choose a weak pokemon)

You can use the same way to battle with yourself too XDD
So here's the way to get evolutions like Alakazam,Gengar,Machamp
It really works :D

I traded a Pokemon with my friend who lives in other country(It works)

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2009
I am trying to do this but it is taking a very long time to connect between the VBAs..is that normal?

EDIT: After waiting a long time, the "OK" was sent but then one of my VBAs got a communication error.

Last edited:

DarkPrince304

Years
If you are using Single Computer the process will be fast
Listen first make one VBA do the Make Leader thing and then make the other one connect by choosing join group<---This correct order
Try closing VBALink then do it again
It won't be slow in a single computer

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2009
I got it to work now. It was because I didnt uncheck the pause when inactive option. Thanks man!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I didn't knew that Vba has wi-fi capabilities! I'll try it as soon as I finish my platinum game. Thank you very much!

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024
This could be useful for hacks...so people don't have to change the trade evos

DarkPrince304

Years
Thanks
And one more thing that you don't have to reach the edited evolution level so you can evolve a kadabra for example as soon it becomes a kadabra from an abra :D lol

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
hm i might try this, im currently using tgp but i prefer vba by far, thanks for this tut ^_^

jadored

Jay the Peanut Butter Queen.
Years
Omg!
This was very helpful.
I knew you could trade with yourself but I didn't think you could trade with other people.
Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2010
Sounds great, unfortunately i'm not playing pokemon on my computer right now

Redrup

The Gentleman
Years
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's my first query on this forum!

Anyway, what I am wondering is, I tried to trade with myself using Leaf Green and Emerald versions, to trade my Bulbasaur from Leaf Green > Emerald, however despite the connection working, it said they are not accepting trades from far away regions just yet.

Any idea why this is occurring? Is it because I have only just started on both games, and therefore haven't got the National Pokedex unlocked?

Let me know if you think you have an answer. Thanks in advance guys.

DarkPrince304

Years
^ That is not a problem
There's a quest in Leaf Green in Sevii Islands...You have to bring the Ruby and Sapphire stones to Celia(Bill's Bro.)...That will allow you to trade with R/S/E

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
Years
*sigh* Too bad this doesn't work with DPPt... currently the only way I can get Alakazam and other trade Pokemon there is by using Pokesav, and even then it doesn't do that quite right.

Back