• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon X & Y - 1.7 Gigabytes!

Years
1.7 gigs is a lot of memory that I'm sure will be dedicated largely to the graphics themselves, but hopefully we'll be getting a real in-depth game at that size. That being said, I'll just get the physical version rather than the digital download, partially due to having only so much space on my SD card, and also because my wifi hates downloading anything even remotely large.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Even with 3D graphics, that's a lot of data. Video game graphics are made to be as good-looking as possible while using as few polygons and taking up as little data space as they can. I'm looking forward to a very content-rich game with this news.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
Nothing too surprising, since this is Pokemon we're talking about. ;) The majority of it is obviously graphics and animations since code doesn't take up much space at all, and this is coming from someone who programs frequently. Nevertheless, 1.7 is a good size compared to other 3DS games out there.

What would be surprising to me is if they used the 3DS's limit of 8 Gigabytes, haha(I don't think they will reach up to that number in years, like they did with B2/W2 and the DS's limit). Now that would be a large game! Right now, I'm just hoping for lots of content and gameplay, since that's what really matters to me.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
I feel like that is mostly graphics and Audio. I am making a Pokemon Starter Kit for RPG Maker VX Ace and the Spread of memory is 3.47 MB in data, 3.32 GB in Audio, 304 MB in Sprites, 99.5 MB in pre-rendered cut-scenes, and a 2.89 text file containing some universal information. Given my kit does take more memory for audio, but that is only because I have the entire soundtrack for Pokemon BW and BW2 and some other sources in wav format. The official games probably use a compressed format akin to OGG Vorbis.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm not really surprised that X/Y are going to be that large (if the rumor is true that is). Just the sheer size of the new graphics engine (Including the region itself, all the Pokémon models, moves, and NPCs) is going to take up a large amount of space, plus add in all the coding for the region. For a handheld game it is large by any standards, so if this ends up being accurate then I'm going to have high hopes for how much we will have in the game.

Years
I didn't know where to ask so i'm asking here.

I planinig on downloading the game through e-shop intead of buying an actual copy,
I still don't have 3ds, so i don't know a lot about it and i hope you could help me:
The games will be on e-shop? if it does it ill be on the same date the games will be released(October 12th)?

blue

gucci
Years
I didn't know where to ask so i'm asking here.

I planinig on downloading the game through e-shop intead of buying an actual copy,
I still don't have 3ds, so i don't know a lot about it and i hope you could help me:
The games will be on e-shop? if it does it ill be on the same date the games will be released(October 12th)?

I assume the retail and digital versions of the games will be released on October 12th simultaneously, Animal Crossing was available via e-shop on the day it was released in stores so I'd say so.

Kevan

Pokemon Team Analyst
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2013
From what i have read Pokemon X/Y will be on the eshop and it is planned to be released at the same time as the actual copy.

Back