• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Master Ball discussion

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I've never used a Master Ball before. Not even when I come across shinies. I only use them when I come across a shiny that's capable of selfdestructing, teleporting, etc. Which has never happened.

I don't care too much for shiny Pokemon. Most of the time, Shiny Pokemon have horrid IV stats, and don't have the correct nature. Chances are that the Shiny Pokemon will be a species that I don't even want to use;-;. And considering that many players just RNG a shiny Pokemon, they don't even feel special anymore.

I believe the method of obtaining a shiny is more important than the shiny itself. For instance, if you came across a Shiny Gyarados, Dragonite, or Garchomp, you can brag about it being found in the wild as opposed to the in-game gifts. Likewise, a shiny starter that you got by pure luck has more bragging rights than a person who RNGed or hacked. This might not be known at face-value, but so long as the player knows, s'all that matters.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
When it comes to Master balls, Generation 5 is an absolute joke. The Swords of Justice Trio were so easy to catch that I find walking on a beach even more of a challenge.

So much trouble to get the item for Heatran, quick ball failed and catch it on full HP with a dusk ball. Cresselia was the most easiest to catch and it's capture was quite ironic. Quick ball failed and catched it on full hp with a normal Pokéball.

The lake guardians.. I don't even need to start on this, do I? They were just quick ball captures, even Metang was harder to catch with those three combined.

For now on i'm only using my Master balls to catch shinies wether they have horrible IVs or bad natures is totally irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
I recently used mine to capture heatran, i reset untill i finally got a Modest one.

Edit: for the record, i caught it modest on the 2nd try.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I generally only use master balls for roaming legendaries. I also like to keep a spare master ball around for those rare circumstances when I desperately need to catch something as quickly as possible (e.g., a shiny that knows self-destruct, roar, etc.).

Overall, though, I catch most of my Pokémon in dusk balls. I almost always play at night, so they work really well.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I haven't used my Master Balls yet, and probably won't too soon anyway. I've caught almost all the legendaries, usually with Dusk Balls or Ultra Balls, a Timer Ball for Cobalion and a random Quick Ball for Uxie. I actually liked chasing after the roaming Thundurus in White, and even though I did get a bit annoyed when I realized it can flee while sleeping (why?!), I still didn't use the Master Ball.

I probably will use it on a shiny though, when and if I ever encounter one in the wild :)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I stopped using Masterballs in Gen 4 (Purely because they also looked more suspicious when you are trading!).

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I have used the Master ball, but only on legendaries that are fairly powerful, so that I could use them in the PWT or the Battle Subway. I caught Thundurus on White and then Heatran and Terrakion in White 2.

Years
I used my Master Ball in Black on Reshiram and then in Black 2 on Kyurem, just so that I could at least guarantee a capture from them, and I typically do use the Master Ball on the mascot Pokémon of each game as well.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
I never used my master balls in either game. I was way too paranoid that something would pop up. I've decided I'm just going to save them in case of a shiny or something.

Andrew Shard

Shards of Fury
Years
I catch ALL my pokemon with pokeball including legendaries... I reach the end of the game with all my masterballs untouched and I often trade them or just keep them as a souvenir...

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I decided to use one on Landorous, koffi~

It's attacks were incredibly annoying and I managed to avoid nearly all of them due to Drifloon. Then it ran out of moves. And then used struggle. And then died. I tried putting it to sleep but it wakes up as soon as I throw another Pokeball and ultra balls didn't seem to work that day either. Landorous is such a piece of crap that I nicknamed it justly, koff~

Nakala Pri

Yup, I used mine on Reshiram, which was a huge mistake. I should have used it on Virizion! Damn it, next time I make a file Virizion all the way. :D

Years
I stopped using Master Balls after catching Lugia in Gale of Darkness. I can't remember what generation was newest at the time, but since then I've been using Luxury Balls for legends. I love the design!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 15, 2013
I usually collect them as a way to count how many playthroughs of the games I do.

I did use one on my shiny Metagross though.

Worth it.

Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Nov 13, 2014
I refuse to use master balls. for most legendaries, ill use a pokemon with false swipe to bring them to 1 HP, put them to sleep, and use whatever other balls I have in my bag. for the runners, I use Gengar with Mean look.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I used the Master Ball on Zekrom on White. I'm undecided on what I want to use it for on White 2, probably on Virizion since I wanted to catch it in White but couldn't do so with an Ultra ball. lol

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
I used my first Master Ball to catch Reshiram just because I wanted to get through the game at that point. Now, I have a second Master Ball, and I'm waiting to use it on a shiny Virizion.

Back