• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

blue

gucci
Years
It's a jump when you compare it with Black and White graphics which aren't relativity old, it's mainly because of the shift in console, I know it was expected but I'm not complaining with the results.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Masuda has always defended 2D sprites, and I always understood why. When I first saw the game being in 3D I was a bit concerned, but it actually looks lovely! So now I'm perfectly fine with the upgrade. It's crisp and stylized; it still looks and feels like Pokemon without being 2D.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
The overworld could do with some serious work, but the battles look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
How long do you think the 3D Engine took to develop?

I'm Wondering what you people think

How Long do you think it took Game Freak to Develop the 3D Engine for Pokemon X and Y

To me it Looks like Maybe A Few Monthes Before BW2 were Anounced

Years
For a main series Pokemon game to be in 3D is something that I've waited a long time for. Now that it's actually here, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Sure, some of the graphics could use improvement (remember though, it's still a handheld console), but to see the leap from the originals to now is incredible. I don't know, hopefully the graphics grow on me, since we've still got another 10 months ahead of us.

latioslegends

What worries you masters you
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 4, 2019
It's an amazing, and needed, transition. The design captures the Pokemon nostalgia while embracing the 3DS technology, but as mentioned by other users there are some faults. Textures in some scenes look jagged and pixels seem unnecessarily noticeable., while others, the city that derives from Paris, are smooth and glistening.

When considering Ocarina of Time you would think the developers could push the graphic threshold a little more. Nonetheless it's still a massive improvement and hopefully they are upgraded before the game's release, or at least made up in the sheer amount of fun expected. =D

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
Years
The overworld could be polished up a bit but I'm really looking forward to the 3D battles.

And as much as I have always enjoyed sprites, I haven't been a fan of the zooming in and out of them in the more recent games. I've always thought that the sprites look really shoddy when blown up or shrunken down.

Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2014
Is this going to work?

So as soon as I saw the first few screenshots, I just though: Is a 3D world really going to work after all these years of a birds-eye 2/2.5D world? Because right now that's my biggest concern...

blue

gucci
Years
It was going to happen sooner or later...

You would get the same reaction if they stuck this Generation on the Nintendo DS.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
It was going to happen sooner or later...

You would get the same reaction if they stuck this Generation on the Nintendo DS.

And for Years to come we will wonder why they stuck with 2D for so Long

and Pokemon is Pretty much on Par with Other Games you can see on the Market now

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I hope so. They got plenty of time to polish everything up. I like the artstyle, it's very fitting for pokemon. But technically, the 3DS is capable of MUCH more than this mess.

I don't see it. I'd take the first screenshot over the second any time.

Looks pretty damn amazing to me, but then again, I am a real gamer, and just care about the mechanics and story, which Pokemon always has anyway.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I need to see more before I make up my mind. The models and textures themselves could get sharper as they develop the games more.

It's going to be quite a transition for me either way I'm sure! I preferred HG/SS type graphics. Pseudo-3D, simple, and of that unmistakable Pokemon style. I'm on the fence about how these new games are stylized. I need to see more!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Looks pretty damn amazing to me, but then again, I am a real gamer, and just care about the mechanics and story, which Pokemon always has anyway.
Oh, real gamer, huh? Very sharp. Too bad I'm not one then, but I'm damn glad if it means I prefer the games I play to not look ugly.

The 3DS is capable to do much more than this. I've said it many many times, but the overworld is something you see on the DS.

I couldn't care less about the mechanics if they don't remove random encounters and get a steady, good framerate. Story was always nothing special too.

I'll probably get Dragon Quest 7 instead, anyway.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I must admit, I love the new graphics.
I only hope full 3D in battles won't slow them down. As much as I like Colosseum and XD (never played PBR) , the battles were incredibly slow, even more than in Gen 4. But seeing how fast battle animations in Gen 5 were, I think GF are aware of this problem.

BanditThePikachu

The Raichu of awesome
Years
Hm.. I'm still waiting on my opinion. I'm going to wait a while before I can form a full opinion, but right now, for me it's safe to say that the graphics need a little bit more work. But in 10 months, they are definitely going to be improved, because of course, this is just a trailer. :P

But the battles... the battles. To me, the graphics are amazing and I'd like to see them when they're even better. The only thing: I hope you don't have to wait 1 whole minute just for a visual to finish.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
I have a question.
Is there something like the old super gameboy that allowed you to play game boy games on a super nintendo?

I mean that because I don't like little screens.

I am a rather old pokemon fan (28 years old) who got into pokemon again after more than a decade because my teenage nice fought with her mother and moved to my house, she got me back into that game, but I am not very up to date.

Nintendofox3d

Watch Pokemon Cyclone Saga!!
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2014
The graphics are awesome, although I will miss the pixel-art...

Back