• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Touchscreen: Return of the C-Gear or...

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'll be frank and admit that I really disliked having the C-Gear take up the entire space of the touchscreen in Black and White and then again in B2W2. Unless you used the DreamWorld a lot and communicated with other players nearby, it could more or less be rendered useless. At least to me, it was. I also wasn't a fan that HG/SS had made such progress with the touchscreen only to have it taken two steps back when Black and White came out. However, with X and Y being on the 3DS and the availability of StreetPass, do you think there's a chance that the C-Gear will be used even more so than before? Or perhaps there's the chance they'll integrate a new mechanic to operate StreetPass without including the C-Gear and taking up the entire touchscreen at all.

What do you hope the touchscreen will be used for? Would you like to see the return of the C-Gear or would you rather have the start menu as well as other options available to be used instead? Currently we have no idea what the touchscreen will be used for, so it's all up to speculation for now.

By the look of the new battle system, I think it's a possibility that we may even see the HP / Exp. bars down below this time around seeing as how much space the new 3D battles take up.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yeah, I'd rather have the start menu and more options instead of the C-Gear. Perhaps when we actually register key items, we can simply touch the small picture icons to activate them, and still have the option to open the menu. Which, I was sort of annoyed by the Gen 5 bottom-screen mechanics because to open each key item because you had to close every thing before opening the menu to change your pokemon or get your bag, again.

And yeah, I'd like that about the battle; battle wise, I'd like it if during your turn, you can select your moves via the touch screen, and during the phase where the moves are initiated, you can see yours and your opponents HP at the bottom screen; that'd be cool!

blue

gucci
Years
I'd like to see a similar layout Touch Screen interface as it appeared in HGSS, it was so tidy and easy to use.

heartgold-interface.jpg

Maybe if the C-Gear did make a return it could be an option upon the touchscreen.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd kind of like to see the C-Gear again. While it was somewhat useless it did have nice skins which were pretty to see whenever you turned the games on. Other stuff is okay too but such as what hgss had but idk have hgss functionality but Unova's design? I'd want that.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I definitely want something like what HGSS had with the start menu and Key Items below. ('Course, unlike HGSS, maybe they could be the shortcuts BW/BW2 had? Idk.)

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I hope that Pokemon XY will have the same menu as the one in HG/SS, it was really easy to use and clean. I don't really like pressing X to have the menu pop up :C
And also for the key items, would be good to have multiple choices of putting shortcuts on.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I just want to see one main screen with simple options to get to other screens, then you can stay on those other screens if and for as long as you want or need. If you're online, in the DW (or its equivalent) or such, then you can leave it at the C-gear (or its equivalent). If you're in-game, you can leave it at a menu screen, sort of like the one in HG/SS. Maybe even include the option of a set of "apps" like in DPPt. And if you wanted to switch from one of those screens - menus, apps or communication - to another, you could just back out one page to the main menu, then go back in to whichever page you wanted.

That way, whichever setup you were most likely to be using would always be there, and the only time you'd have to mess with anything would be if you wanted to do something different - stop playing solo and go online, for instance.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I would like it back to how it was in HG/SS, where you can even click the Run button to keep it on rather than hold B xD but I would also like it like the poketch in D/P/Pt like a button for taking out your poketch, you know? xD

Guy

just a guy
Years
I don't see why it couldn't be possible. I think having a functional touchscreen similar to that of HG/SS with skin designs like what was made for the C-Gear can be done easily if they wanted. I'd actually like that so long as nothing looks too cluttered on the touchscreen menu.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wouldn't mind the HGSS style bottom screen returning, honestly. I found it to be the best in the DS generation of games. C-Gear was awful and a bit annoying cause you had to make sure you didn't turn it on upon starting your game up to play, and if you did you had to wait on the bottom screen to load to turn it off.

So yeah, here's to hoping the HGSS bottom screen style returns, either that, it gets improved on. Which...idk how much more you can improve on that!

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I had my C-gear off almost 100% of the time while playing. The only time I really regarded it for any reason when when I accidentally clicked 'Yes' instead of 'No' after turning the game on. Frankly, what's the point of a TOUCH screen if you aren't using it for anything of the sort?

I'd love something along the lines of HGSS's touch screen. For me, that was useful. It just sped things up, made sense, and you didn't have to think about it.

I'd love to see a Poketch (sp?) that used the HGSS touch screen as a default 'app'.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I'll be frank and admit that I really disliked having the C-Gear take up the entire space of the touchscreen in Black and White and then again in B2W2. Unless you used the DreamWorld a lot and communicated with other players nearby, it could more or less be rendered useless. At least to me, it was. I also wasn't a fan that HG/SS had made such progress with the touchscreen only to have it taken two steps back when Black and White came out. However, with X and Y being on the 3DS and the availability of StreetPass, do you think there's a chance that the C-Gear will be used even more so than before? Or perhaps there's the chance they'll integrate a new mechanic to operate StreetPass without including the C-Gear and taking up the entire touchscreen at all.

I agree with you completely. I absolutely loved how the bottom screen was utilized in HGSS and despised the C-Gear. In fact, even the Poketch was loads better in D/P/Pt.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
For me, I would like to see a combination of the three. The C-Gear's ability to have a bunch of customize-able layouts, the little nifty apps from the poketch, and the simplicity and organization of HG/SS's design.

What really turned me off from the C-Gear, was the constant reminder of whether I wanted to turn it on or off upon loading the game. It got really annoying, and was hoping Gamefreak would remove that part from B2/W2, and just have the player manually turn it on in-game instead.

HG/SS had to be favorite. It pretty much had every function right then and there.

The Poketch was alright. I liked how there were a bunch of apps you could mess around with, but it was slightly difficult to navigate. If only there was an option where you can automatically go to a particular app without having to repeatedly press the forward/backward button to get to the desired app.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
I had my C-gear off almost 100% of the time while playing. The only time I really regarded it for any reason when when I accidentally clicked 'Yes' instead of 'No' after turning the game on. Frankly, what's the point of a TOUCH screen if you aren't using it for anything of the sort?

I'd love something along the lines of HGSS's touch screen. For me, that was useful. It just sped things up, made sense, and you didn't have to think about it.

I'd love to see a Poketch (sp?) that used the HGSS touch screen as a default 'app'.

Couldn't say it any better. The C-Gear was a complete waste if you weren't in a highly populated area and even then all it successfully did was drain your battery. Overall I preferred the Poketch from DPPt with all the different little apps was my personal favorite of the touch-screen based tools.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Instead of having a C-Gear... how about we have something entirely new? C-Gear was exclusive to Pokémon Black/White/Black 2/White 2 anyways, so I highly doubt it would make a return to Pokémon X and Y.

As far as new technology goes, I'd like to see something that works in a similar way to the Pokétch from Diamond/Pearl covering the touch screen.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I'd like to see anything more useful than the C-Gear. The HG/SS-style menu would be the most useful, but even something like the Poketch like in D/P/Pt would be all right and have its uses.

But the C-Gear was just a pain. The customization was a nice touch with the skins, so no matter what they use for the bottom screen, I hope that stays. They should just have something that can be used by everyone all the time while playing the game, instead of a group of people at particular times.

Years
If the C-Gear were to make a return for X and Y, I'd love to see it replace the PokeGear in a near-identical bottom screen to HG/SS. I think they finally perfected the bottom screen with HG/SS, yet replaced it with something I used 2 or 3 times tops with the C-Gear (I honestly had more use when I had the Dowsing Machine on the bottom screen).

Also, with the emergence of smartphones, I could realistically see a bottom screen that has "apps" on it (giving us options for Menu, C-Gear, Key Items, Bag, etc.). This might actually be a really good idea, because it would give us everything we want in one place, and be able to bring back fun things like the Poketch had.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I never used the C-Gear much, especially since I never took advantage of the Dream World. I much preferred the layout of HGSS, as it was simple and highly useful.

Back