• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think is the best ability in the game?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I love having a Pokemon with PickUp when I'm doing a playthrough. I had Linoone in my Ruby Version and by the time I reached Flannery I had nearly 60 Super Potions in my bag just from my Linoone. Definitely a useful ability :b

I also like abilities that neutralize attacks like Water Absorb, Volt Absorb, Flash Fire, etc.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Effect Spore is pretty useful, but it doesn't get much distribution. Similarly I like Flame Body and Static, since they take care of the status for me. Facing a Pokemon with such abilities pisses me off though.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
multie scale is a really cool abillity that I just learned about when playing on poke showdown. It makes dragonite into a beaslty bulky sweeper. I also like serenegrace. hahaaa. paraflinch ftw

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Serene Grace makes Togekiss epic, true. I think one of the really good ones is Speed Boost on Blaziken. Next time I play Black, I'm getting one of those :D

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Trace is definitely an underrated ability. Porygon2 and a variety of other bulky Pokemon work great with it. With Trace they can freely come in on Pokemon carrying Flash Fire/Sap Sipper/type-absorbing abilities and then use them to their own advantage. Plus it adds a great element of surprise since many players forget about it. Definitely one of the more underrated ones. Another one is definitely Magic Bounce. While it's only carried on about three Pokemon, with the right prediction you can backfire all sorts of stuff on your opponent. Harry Potter and Pokemon crossing over. Never thought I'd see the day. <3;

And I'm really surprised no one has considered Tinted Lens. (I've skimmed over this thread so sorry if someone has actually mentioned it :p). It can turn a non-effective move into something that rips through everything. It gives underrated bug-types a niche and I honestly prefer it on Yanmega over Speed Boost. While I pretty much look at everything from a competitive aspect, I still think its a darn good ability in-game wise as well. And finally Simple is ridiculously overpowered. Don't believe me? Ozzy once swept me with a +4 Swoobat after about 3 Calm Minds. Talk about OP. ):

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I can't say I've got one favourite ability, because I know 3 abilities that are pretty good. One of them is Moxie, really good for Fighting-types. Another one I like is Synchronise because it can screw the foe over. Also, a really good one in Generation V is Sturdy, because you cannot get knocked out in one hit. I don't really like Sturdy in Generations III and IV because it really only protects you from four moves (Guillotine, Horn Drill, Fissure and Sheer Cold), though.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
-Tinted Lens is my favorite ability in the game. It allows pokemon whose shallow movepools could muster nearly nothing to do neutral against Steel-types, and allows even their stabs to do neutral. Examples include Yanmega, Venomoth, and Noctowl.

-Compound Eyes boosts accuracy by 30%. No, it's not the best, but boosting something like Sleep Powder to 97.5% and being faster than Breloom shouldn't be taken lightly.

Magic Guard, Regenerator, Multiscale, Wonder Guard, Imposter, and auto-weather are all in the running.

Back