• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonist & Rival relationship.

Flygon-Gal

Fly Away!
Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2012
Well it's not that the protag/rival wouldn't have anything in common, it's just that he doesn't seem like the type for love or crushes. :(

And by I know there is only one rival, so I don't really think that would happen O_o

Years
Errr... the jackass/cocky/over-confident rival turned into our lover? (Wut?) If Game Freak really did that to the rival then...they're trolls. Seriously, trolls.
Anyways to get the thread back on topic (without starting some shipping/fan fiction) I think Mr.Le Jackass Mr.Rival will be over-protective of his sister (like Bianca's dad protectiveness) and he'll apparently have this idea that whatever he does is for the good of his sister and the Protagonist is just in the way.
Or we could screw that idea and say Mr.Protagonist got spicy with his sister... heh, heh, heh... heh. And the rivalry is just some sort of revenge...
Wait, just how old is his sister? 'Cause then a younger bro protecting his older sis just seems a bit too cute, for me. Actually it still seems cute either way...

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
You know what I'd like to see in a Pokémon game? Romance ;) it'd make for a more engrossing gaming experience and add a whole new dimension to the Pokémon games. :)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I agree, but I think the relationship with the protagonists and the rival will remain as good childhood friends. Like Flygon-Gal said, we've only been revealed one and it seems unlikely that GameFreak would add in extra lines between the rival and the female protagonist if you choose her.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Plus, I think parents may be a bit ticked if they developed a love relationship. Pokemon is about friends and rainbows. Sure we've seen characters attracted to each other, but never have they actually formed anything with it that wasn't already existent before they were introduced. They always just stay friends. Hopefully that's how it will stay, as friends, just a really cocky friend with wild hair.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
Since pokemon started to take its baby steps into making a more mature game i can see in the future generations a boy or girl rival(depending on who you choose) to have a actual relationship with the protagonist

Right now HELL NO

They couldnt do it because

1) most people would get mad because the boy character has no relationship
And
2) it wouldnt be rated E anymore which would really lower revenue

Also to me the character would be cocky but kind of supportive at the same time( going off what i saw when he led you to the outlook in the first city in the trailer)

Cid

Years
Why wouldn't it be rated E? Personally, I think a little romance wouldn't hurt the game. But it is pretty awkward for the male protagonist to not have anything, haha.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with Jellicent. Even though I think the rival will be more helpful and concerned at your progress rather than cocky. He does look like he can be a bit like Gary and Silver, but I really want his appearance to not dictate his actions, especially towards you. Or better yet, they should continue on giving good character development into the rival like the old games. Maybe he can turn dark, against the protagonist in the story maybe, then go back to the way he was, with a better resolve and experience or something. Or just follow the usual development and make the character go from really cocky and "Imma beat you in strength all the time!" to a changed man.

frosting

Inactive Account PM if Wanted
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2012
Anyway, growing up as friends he's always been the lesser version of you in the eyes of other people at school and home.

Wait, since when do they go to school? And how does this rival do worse then me? o_o

Cid

Years
Wait, since when do they go to school? And how does this rival do worse then me? o_o
Originally thought this as a post comment but I'll go on ahead and reply. I think that post you were looking at was almost entirely hypothetical. Like it was something the poster envisioned to be the way GF would approach the rival and its relationship with the player. And "you" pertains to the main protagonist in B2/W2 that you'll be controlling.

Based upon the rival's appearance, I don't think he'll be another Silver. He definitely looks like he'll be cocky and confident, but I don't think he'll be the type of trainer who comes off as rude.

I hear he's another childhood friend rival, so here's how I can picture him in the games, or at least how I'd like him to be. This all depends on how far GameFreak is actually willing to play with the rival's development. Anyway, growing up as friends he's always been the lesser version of you in the eyes of other people at school and home. At some point in time, the friendship grew distant as he started to become jealous of all the glory and attention you received. That's when he gradually changed into more of the loner type and started to do things on his own so people would stop comparing him with you.

When his younger sister was born, she started to idolize you more like an older sibling than her own brother. This is what really sends your rival off the deep end. He swears to himself that he'll be better. He swears to himself that he'll be better than you, and that he'll finally receive the recognition he deserves and that his sister will admire him more than she admires you, as nothing hurts more than when your own family praises someone else and sort of ignores your accomplishments in light of someone else.

So he ends up this cocky and confident character, but really he's just an insecure trainer searching for the recognition of his own accomplishments rather than be compared to you all the time. That's when he falls into the hands of the [secretly sinister] Professor Akuroma, who gives him all the attention and praise he's always wanted growing up. Your rival finds comfort in the attention he gets from this highly recognized professor, but really the professor is just using him to advance on his own evil plot.

By the end, your rival comes into the light of what the professor has been up to with him all this time, and when all is done and over with, he finds the real truth in himself and a new sense of confidence. A confidence that he is good at something [what that is, I have no idea yet] and that he will continue to get better at it. He realizes that he no longer has to compete with you to be better at everything, but that he is talented in his own skill and will work on improving it. This is where he receives the right type of recognition from others, and more importantly his sister and family that changes him to be a better person, and of course, a better friend to you.

All that said, the chances of this actually happening are probably slim to none!
Now that I got a look at this post, I would love for this to happen. It even includes the professor who manages to manipulate your rival against you and all.

Back