• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

mr. mime should be male only

Years
  • Age 32
  • usa
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
since lots of people believe that jynx is mr mime female counter part an there can be female mr mime i think we should ask them to make mr. mime a male only pokemon. it is a pet peeve of mine!

:paranoid:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Too late for that, I'm afraid. Mr. Mime was given its name before genders were introduced. Granted, yeah, they could've made Mr. Mime a male-only species in G/S/C onward, but like I said, it's too late for GameFreak to change the gender ratios of the currently known Pokémon.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
Too late for that, I'm afraid. Mr. Mime was given its name before genders were introduced. Granted, yeah, they could've made Mr. Mime a male-only species in G/S/C onward, but like I said, it's too late for GameFreak to change the gender ratios of the currently known Pokémon.

yep, better just do what me and my friends do and nickname all the females ms. mime

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
yep, better just do what me and my friends do and nickname all the females ms. mime

Haha that's clever!

His Japanese name has nothing to do with gender anyway, which is the real issue here. Since it's made in Japan, they wouldn't base genders on a local translation. The people you guys have issue with are the original localizers, who didn't plan ahead, not the game makers really.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I thought Mr. Mime already was 100% male? Yikes, looks like we have our first transgender Pokémon (not that that's a problem or anything, just for giggles).

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
His Japanese name has nothing to do with gender anyway, which is the real issue here. Since it's made in Japan, they wouldn't base genders on a local translation. The people you guys have issue with are the original localizers, who didn't plan ahead, not the game makers really.
QFT.
Just because American release has it as Mr. doesn't matter that it has to be 100% male when Japanese name has nothing to do with gender.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
You might as well say the Geodude line should be male-only because it has "dude" in it.

Personally, I think that the Generation I English names look kind of awkward and not well thought-out in comparison to the names found in Generation II and onwards. Then again, back when Pokemon was first localized things were different. (I'm a sworn enemy of Genwunners.)

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I never really thought the first generation had the most well thought out names, either. Well, Vulpix is clever.

lifeburst

ROAR OF TIME
Years
Mr. Mime should be male only. When we're at it, Buneary and Lopunny should be female only, aswell as Skitty and Delcatty.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
W-wh... I hope that's a joke that's been writen really, really dryly.

Cool screen capture in your sig, btw.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Mr Mime doesn't have a gender prefix in the Japanese version of the game, it was only in the English version that he has one, that's why he's not male only, cause he never had a male specific name to begin with.

Years
I do think it's really weird seeing a female MR. Mime... it really doesn't make sense.
There's a few other Pokemon that I think should be gender specific, like Gardevoir, especially since Gallade, a male only Pokemon, was introduced

Bobby Emerald

A voice of reason.
Years
Could say the same for KINGdra, it happens a lot in Pokemon.

I think we could let that one slide...I consider the name Kingdra to be like, an Emperor Penguin type thing...you know what I mean? There are female emperor penguins, so a female Kingdra wouldn't be awkward. At least not nearly as awkward as a female Mr. Mime (thanks a lot localizers....)

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
They named Mr.Mime because in Gen I, genders weren't implemented yet and they didn't thought about Pokemon having genders :P

If you wanna help out the cause, name every female Mr.Mime you find 'Mrs. Mime'! Let's start a revolution!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
He looks like a guy. o.o
Compared to the Machop line... barely :) . BTW, Machop can also be any gender.

English names have absolutely no bearing on whether a Pokémon can be only a male, a female or either one, because they are given to Pokémon long after the Pokémon is created and fully defined. Japanese names might.

And apparently, neither does appearance. For instance, during Gen 1, all my friends were convinced all Goldeen were female and became male during evolution in Seaking (BTW, not that far-fetched a theory, some fish can actually change their gender, but I digress) . Then Gen 2 came around, proving both Pokémon could be of either gender.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
It should also be mentioned that Jynx is a female-only Pokémon, so why not Mr. Mime? It's probably too late to go back and change all the ones who look male or female but Mr. Mime should be 100% male in my opinion.

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
Sorry,too late.

Mr.Mime was introduced BEFORE gender was introduced in Gen 2.If you change the gender ratio of Mr.Mime in Gen 6, and still have the ability to import from Black/White/Black2/White2 to X/Y and you import a girl Mr.Mime,you will get bugs or the game might crash.You should've said that to Game Freak 13 years earlier in 2000.

sorry.

Compared to the Machop line... barely :) . BTW, Machop can also be any gender.

English names have absolutely no bearing on whether a Pokémon can be only a male, a female or either one, because they are given to Pokémon long after the Pokémon is created and fully defined. Japanese names might.

And apparently, neither does appearance. For instance, during Gen 1, all my friends were convinced all Goldeen were female and became male during evolution in Seaking (BTW, not that far-fetched a theory, some fish can actually change their gender, but I digress) . Then Gen 2 came around, proving both Pokémon could be of either gender.

I agree with you.Game Freak made pokemon like this because they wanted to have pokemon that would appeal to both genders.

Sometimes,i refer them as "he" or "she" depending on which pokemon instead of "it".

Could say the same for KINGdra, it happens a lot in Pokemon.

well what about in Japanese versions?
ok well,Kingdra has that name in Japanese also but other pokemon like geodude.

geodude in Japanese is Isitsubute.Our language doesn't have to affect how other people in the word see these pokemon.

Last edited:

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
Better to find a female Mister Mime than a male Gardevior. Imagine how odd it was to find out THAT was a guy. I remember when I figured out what those pink and blue things meant... good times... good times.

Back