• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Would pokemon X and Y ROM hacking ever be possible?

StΩrmyStory

Novice Pokemon ROM hacker
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 24, 2014
Imagine, in years from now Pokemon X/Y/X ROMS will be accessible (hopefully) for ROM hacking.
I just wanted to point out how awesome this could be, people's imaginations would be no longer restricted to sprites and tiles but entire 3D worlds.
I suppose I made this thread to see if anybody knew why this wouldn't happen or what could go wrong. So if you have any details on 3DS ROM hacking, please share.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Yeah, honestly it would be more impossible than possible ( especially when it comes to changing the pokemon's looks ). Yeah, I guess if you want to spend hours on end remodeling, shading, texturing, and coloring the pokemon then be my guest... oh and let's not forget they are animated. Same with the houses, trees, and maps. It would be incredibly hard to do... it might even be easier to just make your own game instead lol

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Hm, maybe. GBA hacks were possible, and so were DS hacks. If people put time and effort into it, I think 3DS Pokémon games could be hacked as well. Since this is related to ROM hacking, by the way, I'm moving your thread over to Emulation & ROM Hacking.

Moved.

StΩrmyStory

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 24, 2014
I agree and disagree with some points you made, while animating entire new Pokemon, shading and coloring them would be very difficult, modifying or building new architecture wouldn't be that difficult. Over time, popular games (take SM64 for example) the fan base was able to implement entire new maps and story lines of their own design, why could this not apply to Pokemon X/Y/Z?
If this were to come true, within the next decade we should see some very interesting fan created worlds.

I apologize for posting this thread in the wrong section, I'm new to PC. :]

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Maybe, but there's a reason that GBA hacking is popular. Everything is just 2D tiles and sprites, which is very easy to modify. If you want to make 3D models for everything it's just going to be a lot harder and require more skill.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I honestly don't know.

I'm not really updated when it comes to DS hacking, but I think they're still in the basics. Most tools created are just simple, like modifying wild Pokemon, modifying trainer's Pokemon, those kinds of stuff. So I think X/Y hacking wouldn't be until the future, when DS hacking progress is now equivalent to the GBA hacking progress now. It would be really amazing, though, if one were to make X/Y hackable, but it's going to be hard work. X/Y hacking would most likely start when the next handheld console releases, but I'm not too sure.

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
Yes maybe on GBA because It is possible if it's made by a giant team of hacking experts or just one guy who has all knowledge of hacking and has a friend to make sprites for him because he's too lazy...... But today I saw a poll on WesleyFG's site about what kind of hack will he make there were so many votes on a remake of Pokemon X and Y...... I was like "O_O dats intense."...... But I hope someone does make a remake of X and Y on GBA cuz it'll be great. :D

But I'll stay on topic...... Maybe it is possible to hack the 6th Generation games because I saw a website like a month ago that has Gen 5 hacking tools I was like "wat you can make Gen 5 hacks?!" so maybe it really is possible to make 6th Gen hacking tools..... I would really like that. (Oh there's a 3DS emulator now. :D) (But I don't know what it looks like lol :P)

StΩrmyStory

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 24, 2014
True, fans will probably need entire teams of people to create the game they desire, but GBA hacking isn't going anywhere for those who want to independently create games.

StΩrmyStory

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 24, 2014
To my knowledge, there are no X/Y/Z ROMS. Sorry to disappoint, :P

Last edited by a moderator:

大輔

Adventurer
Years
I agree and disagree with some points you made, while animating entire new Pokemon, shading and coloring them would be very difficult, modifying or building new architecture wouldn't be that difficult. Over time, popular games (take SM64 for example) the fan base was able to implement entire new maps and story lines of their own design, why could this not apply to Pokemon X/Y/Z?
If this were to come true, within the next decade we should see some very interesting fan created worlds.

I apologize for posting this thread in the wrong section, I'm new to PC. :]

Well, I come from a background in animation. It's easier to create 2-Dimensional animations because it's just frame by frame. But it's totally different when animating for 3D celled objects. Usually when animating for such objects, there are joints that you have to consider, each item is detailed with specific textures, and the overall model is just a bunch of polygons that were morphed and connected via the invisible joints and sections. It's a lot more time consuming than one would think... that's why nobody has officially had the time to develop successful 3D pokemon fan games besides maybe Pokemon Generations.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
Everything is possible. It depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into something. For example, it took a while to get simple things like text hacking done on Diamond & Pearl, today we are able to write our own scripts and even have some decent tools to design new maps etc.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I don't see it happening and really catching on for another five years, maybe more. 3D hacking as opposed to 2D hacking is a HUGE difference. An XY rom? I could see it coming out in a year once ebverything sorts out.

Years
Well, i think it can be done but not anytime soon. We're SO outdated i mean heck, we still haven't perfected hacking Gen IV and V and we're still stuck with Gen III. I mean we can hack Gen IV and V but it's 2013! Gen IV was 6 years ago and we're still on Gen III. Although, to tell you the truth i'm not complaining about it since i am one of those people who hacks Gen III more :P (you can blame my crappy pc.) But still you'll have to be VERY patient if a X and Y ROM (and emulator) comes out and i think that by the time that happens, any average pc would run Desmume perfectly fine and people might start hacking Gen IV/V as for X and Y....like i said you would had to be patient......and i mean very patient.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
It won't be impossible, just a long time in the making. We don't even have all the data about how everything works in X/Y yet to make decent guides on raising Pokemon competitively, because we can't decrypt it let alone emulate it in any way at all (there are ROMs of X/Y by the way, 3DS games can be dumped. They just can't be emulated... especially X/Y. Don't ask me where they are, I have no clue). After those two happen, then we can even start to think about hacking. But even then we'd still be looking at an entirely new challenge to discover completely.

We don't quite know everything about Gen 3 yet and Gen 5 tools haven't been around for extremely long, for a grasp of how long things will take on this one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 14, 2014
Well maybe, maybe not. The best option would be to go to coolrom get the gba emulator and look for pokemon x and y in 2d sprite form for the game boy, or at least a pokemon game with 5th gen pokemon in it.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
Most likely possible given enough time yeah, but what you want to do would vary in difficulty considerably depending on your scope and what tools we have available in the future. Texture editing is probably not too hard once we get a hang of the graphics format and how to convert images to and from a format suitable for the game; animation editing would be more complex but doable if you're skilled enough in 3D animation; while adding new models for Pokemon or player outfits would be a tricky job to ensure they're properly rigged to the existing bones or creating brand new rigs and animations for Pokemon.
Though, it's probably easier to understand the concept compared to dealing with the sprites-animated-with-3D-graphics used for most things in Black and White.

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I'm going to put this short, but the only reason nobody wants to do DS Hacks, and will probably not do X/Y hacks is because all the maps are in 3D, meaning that the only hacks that will actually surface will require a lot of 3D modeling experience, which simply does not come easily. GBA Hacking will probably one of the last hacking scenes accessible to all kinds of people due to it's ease of editing.

bunny24680

Keep Catching, Keep Battling - It's a Pokemon Life
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2021
Hey guys, hello everyone... I am new on the community and I wanted to ask a question. I wish to play pokemon x or y on Pc but all links I found on google appeared fake and contained passwords and Surveys........ Is there any place where I can download even any one of the game's rom without any password or survey???????

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 23, 2014
@bunny24680
Actually, its not available yet, my friend tell me that there is 3ds emulator, but it still in DEV. So, the point is X / Y is currently not available for computer.

Back