• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Screenshot/Music Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

pancakeonmyhead

Kpop Enthusiast
Years
I've been trying to add Light effects in certain parts of my game. It doesn't always work but when it does it looks like this

2q3t4yb.jpg

That's actually gorgeous, it looks like it'll turn out great.

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
My current progress updating Lightning yellows battle screen.
Which looks better, A or B?

A->
new-size-double-battle2.png
B->
pref.png

Atomic Reactor

I think if you center the platforms between the edges of the screen, and the HP boxes, it will look loads better. It won't have as much empty space, and it will just look better in general.... just my opinion!

And Daedelus, it looks good, not much to comment on. But you need to make up your mind and stick to a game for once! Please, I'm begging you XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
The guy's at the bottom should be rendered at a larger size B/W. Well, technically every pokemon game has the guys at the bottom larger than the ones at the top.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
beginnings_by_worldslayer608-d4n4rf5.png

Just a little screen cap for my latest Dev blog about Lost Legends. You can read it by clicking on the support bar in my signature :)​

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Very cool ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ . The tiles are great and the use of the pokemon overworlds really gets across where the player is (this is from when the player helps the professor in your game right? Like a lab/sanctuary).
The shadows for the Torchic and piplup are too big though.
The corner of the water is not right.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Very cool ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ . The tiles are great and the use of the pokemon overworlds really gets across where the player is (this is from when the player helps the professor in your game right? Like a lab/sanctuary).
The shadows for the Torchic and piplup are too big though.
The corner of the water is not right.

This is actually just a promotional screenshot more or less. I used it in my latest little blog to help emphasis the ability to choose your starter from the 15 starters in the original games.

The shadow is a script, this helps eliminate the need to put shadows on hundreds and hundreds of OW sprites.

The corner of the water is correct, it is loose grass hanging over the edge ;)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I like the tint of it, but I don't like the botches of "non tint" lol.I'd suggest remove those, but keep the tint itself as it does give a cool moody vibe to the map.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
I like the tint of it, but I don't like the botches of "non tint" lol.I'd suggest remove those, but keep the tint itself as it does give a cool moody vibe to the map.

But the "blotches" are the openings in the canopy. If I left it as just a tint, it wouldn't look like a forest. There are four types of canopy I could choose from:

-RMXP leafy canopy (overused, I don't think it looks much like a canopy to be honest, anyway)

-DPPt canopy (which is what I have, and I think it fits best)
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b1/Eterna_Forest_map.png

- HGSS canopy (which could look alright, but I feel it isn't as nice as the latter)
http://pokedream.com/games/heartgoldsoulsilver/walkthrough/images/ilex_forest.png

- BW canopy (which are tiny little dots scattered about like light dotting through the treetops)
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/birijion-ow.png

Idk. Those were my choices, and I thought the DPPt one fit the best. I could try the BW one, I guess...

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Even though it's in the official games, I think it's a bad design choice (I mean @Gamefreak for even putting it in). It looks silly for the type of effect they want. I'm assuming their goal was to make it like light coming from the trees, but it's overlaid on the trees. It would be different if the effect only applied to areas that were walk-able and not ON the trees themselves which should be making the effect in the first place. The light is hitting the the tree itself is creating the canopy meaning it shouldn't be layered like that.
I think you should improve on their design and not mimic it. You have a nice OW style, and a custom one, so why copy gamefreak with that design?

Edit: I might as well give you my suggestion on what to do lol.
I'd create a layered effect and make at least 2 images for the effect. I'd then give the images 2 different "z" values (depth/layers). Make one image possibly over the map and the other layered into the map itself minus 1 layer that the tree tops are on.

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Even though it's in the official games, I think it's a bad design choice (I mean @Gamefreak for even putting it in). It looks silly for the type of effect they want. I'm assuming their goal was to make it like light coming from the trees, but it's overlaid on the trees. It would be different if the effect only applied to areas that were walk-able and not ON the trees themselves which should be making the effect in the first place. The light is hitting the the tree itself is creating the canopy meaning it shouldn't be layered like that.
I think you should improve on their design and not mimic it. You have a nice OW style, and a custom one, so why copy gamefreak with that design?

Edit: I might as well give you my suggestion on what to do lol.
I'd create a layered effect and make at least 2 images for the effect. I'd then give the images 2 different "z" values (depth/layers). Make one image possibly over the map and the other layered into the map itself minus 1 layer that the tree tops are on.

Just pointing out that DPPt are the only versions where the light overlays the trees iirc. The other games it falls under the trees but over the walk-able path.

I would not call it a bad design choice, more of a poorly executed innovation (as far as DPPt is concerned)

My problem with your fog layer is that the contrast is way too high. It really clashes with everything else because of it. I would darken it a bit to make it blend. As long as the area is lighter it will still have the effect you want, and it is a nice effect.

But I agree with Neo as far as it being over the trees and how terrible it looks. If the light is coming through the canopy, it should not overlay what is essentially the canopy... if that makes any sense.

I love the Bog screenshot though. We have a national park here where there is a bridge which is the walking path and it goes all through the park, I actually used it as a concept myself :D

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
ZeldaTEST.png

I found an unfinished Game engine, So i contacted it's owner and they've allowed me to continue work on it.
So far I've revamped graphics and scripted the sword.
Thoughts?

Atomic Reactor

Omg is that a tLoZ starter kit? It looks awesome. I would love to use it if you ever decide to let people use it :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back