• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dragon Nightmares: The Fairy-Type Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Dragon Nightmares:
The Fairy-Type Club

pokemon-x-and-y.jpg

Given the reveal of the new Pokemon type, fairy, the game has been turned on its head. This thread will discuss speculation about new fairy-types introduced in Pokemon X and Y, as well as those who have recently earned the typing. Further we will discuss the revolution of the Pokemon story-line as well as gameplay with the introduction of the typing.

~ Rules ~
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

~ Sign-Up ~
Spoiler:

~ List Of Pokemon ~
039.png
040.png
183.png
184.png
282.png
jf1w.png

0vg1.png
qoml.png
k16s.png
fdvr.png
303.png
Mega_Mawile_Sprite_zps397c14ce.png
lame_dedenne_sprite_by_kyle_dove-d6h8o8y.png

Sprites by: Seiku88 - Flabebe; Kyle-dove - Sylveon and Dedenne; Zermonious - Swirlix/Spritzee; Xerneas - Lydario AND Alexial - Mega Mawile​

~ Members List ~

- Fenneking Swirlix
- AlexOzzyCake Swirlix
- CloysterOyster Sylveon
- EternaAnna Spritzee
- MIAU Flabebe
- Hikari10 Swirlix
- Afit Swirlix
-TreeKangaroo Xerneas
- Alexial Sylveon

I might make some icons if I have spare time.

~ User Bars ~

9O94Vsi.png

~ A Fairy Creative Outlet ~
Showcase you creative skills. Submit any art in the thread, and I will post it into this section. submission is fine as long as it's your work and relates to the fairy type.

~ Discussion Topics ~

1) What do you think constitutes a Fairy Type?
2) Evolution speculation for X & Y Fairy-types revealed thus far?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Username: AlexOzzyCake
Partner: Swirlix too, if you don't mind! :D

I adore all the Fairy-Type Pokémon I've seen so far and can't wait to see what's left to come! They're seeming like a very unique type and the Dragon killing aspect is a lot of fun. Swirlix is my favourite so far because he's just so damn cute, but I've loved every Fairy pretty much equally and I don't expect that to stop haha. One question though, what do you guys think Fairy Pokémon are actually based on..? I'd so the moon based on some of the designs/attacks so far, but I've no idea haha.

Also I made a userbar but it's not wonderful so don't feel pressured to use it!

9O94Vsi.png

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Username: CloysterOyster
Partner: Sylveon
Topic: I don't see where the topics are, but I do like the newer Fairy-type's sprites you have in the original post. Where did you get them from and have Azumarill and Wigglytuff been confirmed as Fairy? (even though it's obvious they might). Sylveon is my favorite Fairy-type so far, I'm a sucker for Eeveelutions. I can't wait to see what it and the other new Pokémon can do.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Username: EternallyAnna
Partner: Spritzee

Oh my goodness but I'm excited for fairy types. I'm hoping that all these lil pink things evolve into some amazingly vicious things. Like Spritzee! Really hoping it's actually a plague doctor and evolves into a towering dark purple thing with secondary typing of poison, ghost, or dark. Because that's badass. And I'm really wondering what other fairies they'll introduce and what their bases will be. And they've gotta be weak to steel, haven't they? Because in legend you can ward them off with iron.

I'm thinking that fairies are based in European folklore and magic and superstition. Because Xerneas comes from Ceryniean Hind/Cernunnos (Greek legendary creature/Celtic god) and yeah. But probably they'll do a lot of moon-magic kind of things because I mean that's a huge thing in myth.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Username: Miau
Partner: Flabébé

Joining! I love all the Fairy types revealed so far, and I hope more Pokemon will be retyped to Fairy, like Clefairy (duh), Cherubi/Cherrim and Castform. From what we've seen so far, I can't really pinpoint what they're supposed to be based on, but considering that "fairy" actually has a different meaning in different mythologies, maybe the Fairy Pokemon will be very diverse as well.

Years
Username: Hikari10
Partner: Swirlix

I love the new Fairy-type Pokemon so far and the potential the new type has, while it was mainly introduced to counter Dragons slightly better the appearance of the Pokemon so far are all cute and cuddly, I loved all these Pokemon it was hard to decide a partner. Swirlix is one I especially love because it's a cotton candy puppy creature, and like what Anna said I'm hoping Spritzee has some plague doctor theme to it's possible evolved form, Flabebe is also quite interesting because it's said it may have different flowers between each one, like Spinda's spot patterns. Sylveon is also super-adorable and can't wait to see what evolution method is required to evolve Eevee into it. Last but not least, Xerneas has so far broken the trend of "cutesy" Fairy Pokemon but nice to see we now have a Fairy-type Legendary as well. I've read rumors about the possible type matchups for Fairy, but I love to see what previous generation Pokemon gain the type, I'm especially hoping for Clefairy's line to get it.

Years
Username: AlexOzzyCake
Partner: Swirlix too, if you don't mind! :D

I adore all the Fairy-Type Pokémon I've seen so far and can't wait to see what's left to come! They're seeming like a very unique type and the Dragon killing aspect is a lot of fun. Swirlix is my favourite so far because he's just so damn cute, but I've loved every Fairy pretty much equally and I don't expect that to stop haha. One question though, what do you guys think Fairy Pokémon are actually based on..? I'd so the moon based on some of the designs/attacks so far, but I've no idea haha.

Also I made a userbar but it's not wonderful so don't feel pressured to use it!

9O94Vsi.png

I called dibs on him! haha

Great, thanks for the userbar.

I like the fairy type as well, and have had similar thoughts. The main thing I thought about was differentiating the magical/mystical powers between the psychic and fairy types. Psychics seem to have intellectual abilities, whereas fairies seem to have powers that are more based on a pure essence or their souls to draw from the environmental power around them (the moon for example.). Further psychics attacks, attack the psyche, or their enemies' state of mind. I have a feeling that fairy-type moves are more magic based, and perhaps attack the soul of their opponent. Also, I agree with what EternaAnna has to say regarding mythology, and the connection with the moon as a sources of power.

Hikari - I think that the Flabebe line will become grass/fairy and the flower that they possess when they evolve will dictate its appearance as it will fuse with their essence. I am hoping that each flower has different powers that will affect its stats. For instance a pink flower will boost its HP stat, where as a blue flower will boost its Special Defense Stat. That would especially be nice if the base stats are all equal on flabebe prior to the evolution. I also really want a grass/fairy out of flabebe!

Also, I think we are all wanting that Plague Doctor Spritzee, but then again, I will be TORN between X and Y!

As far as the topic goes, I was going to wait for the thread to be up. From the discussion so far I think that the two topics we can focus on are:

Have fun discussing.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022

Like I said, I feel like "fairy" can have many different meanings. In some myths, they're human-like creatures, like fees and pixies, in others they're shape shifters like the selkies. I guess some common grounds would be that they're all magical beings, sometimes mischievous, and how they come out at night, hence the moon cult present in many myths.

Also, "looks are deceiving" saying seems to apply for for many of them, their appearance is cute or fragile, but they can take on even the strongest Dragons. And speaking of deceiving looks...

Okay, so I saw the plague doctor mask on Spritzee, but still struggled with understanding its connection to perfume. So I looked up plague doctors on wiki, and oh my gosh, how did I not know that they used to carry fragrant substances in those beaks? So yes, I am all for a plague doctor evolution for Spritzee. Come to think of it, Fenneking, was this the reason for our first artwork theme?

So, my guess for Spritzee is plague doctor + pink flamingo, seeing as it may be based on a bird as well. Swirlix has some doggy vibes, so maybe he'll get front legs. Or maybe they'll expand more on the sweets theme, and add candy to the design. And I'm all for Flabebe becoming Fairy/Grass, and I hope there will actually be a different flower in their designs, and not just a gimmick in the Pokedex entry.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Username: atif
Partner: Swirlix! :3

I LOVE Fairy types. So kawaii ^^ I love the fact that Dragon types have a weakness against them, so that Fairy will stand out more and will be used more. Well, at least I will use it. ^^ Swirlix is my favourite Fairy type at the moment. Cotton Candy Pokémon! Unless they reveal another Fairy type which looks even cuter then Swirlix. But since I like Fairy types, I thought, why not apply? :)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
What constitutes a fairy? Definitely connections to myth and superstition more than anything. Presumably many of them will correlate to myths and superstitions in our world and kind of... take the place of what we know. I'm lumping Spritzee in with those because its theme is perfume- it was entirely a myth that perfume warded off the plague (even though some of the ingredients did help, but not because of their scent). The entire concept of a fairy is so variable that it's hard to pin down, but I think that'll be the connection. There should be a huge explosion of history and mythology of the Pokémon world once X and Y come out.

That's a fantastic idea for Flabébé's evolutionary method and the reason behind multicoloured flowers omg. I love it.

Swirlix should become a standard poodle. Idk it just looks like it. But look what I've found about them! "In Goethe's Faust, Mephistopheles first appears to Faust in the form of a black poodle." (Wiki) A demonic fairy/dark poodle? Aw yeah. And standard poodles ain't small, guys- they're usually at least a foot and a half high. That's a decent sized dog. And Pokémon's prone to exaggeration. Oh and "their coats are moisture-resistant, which helps their swimming." (Wiki) Water/fairy splashy puppy? Probably not considering it's the "cotton candy Pokémon" but that'd be cute. I'm really not sure where they'll go with the cotton candy theme if they stick with that. But it looks like a poodle.

Spritzee: fairy/poison, fairy/dark, fairy/ghost
tumblr_inline_mps26dqXEX1qz4rgp.png

[source]

everything else already covered on that one haha. yes plague doctor please

Years
Welcome Atif, yet another Swirlix fan!
Since we are the majority, how about we call this the Swirlix Fan Club? :p

I really like the idea of a poison/fairy evo for Spritzee, perhaps a ghost/fairy, given the life of solitude surrounded by death during the plague era for these healers, plus it would go well with as a gaseous or airy body given the perfume concept.
OMahGAWd! Great find on the black poodle impersonating the devil Goethe's Faust, which is a very well-known story, which makes it's likeliness to factor into the design more feasible.

I have it! Dark/Fairy Type. Based on a poodle with corded hair.
Black Licorice Poodle!!!!! I will lose it, seriously. The Shiny would have to be red.
It would be nice to have some red strands near the crown of its head to resemble twisted red horns.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
OH MY. A LIQUORICE POODLE. MUST HAVE. :D
That would be a nice idea. I would def have it on my team if it was real. oh my gawd sweet poodles xD

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Dude. That would be amazing. Now I'm kind of worried that I'm getting my hopes up for these 'mon. Like what if our visions are just so much more interesting than what GF came up with? Imma be sad if that's the case. ;__;

I'm really really hoping all the fairies will evolve into some hella cray scary things. Like come on, if they're all being drawn from myth and folklore there is a wealth of interesting scary whatnot to use.

Oh also- if older gen Pokémon gain evos this gen, do you think they'll gain a dual type with fairy? I mean fairy almost seems like something to start out with and then combo to make interesting, but that's harking back to the view that fairies are weak and cutesy. There could be some badass combos made by giving older 'mon a fairy evo, right?

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
Name: TreeKangaroo
Partner: XERNEAS YO
I can't wait for fairy types simply because dragon's reigns will end. And I hope they have awesome evos like cute to badass.

JIRACHI HAS TO BE FAIRY TYPE. I don't see how it's steel.

Years
I scraped the art theme. Rather, anyone can post any art in the thread so long as it involves fairy type is some fashion.

Soooo, I am excited about the CoroCoro reveals coming as soon as tomorrow (as far as leakage goes). I am thinking that version exclusive info will be a major focus since the preordering and bonuses have been on full speed since the end of last month. I expect they are going to reveal information so the undecided, like myself, will be able to choose which version to Pre-Order. That's why I am expecting some evolutions for Swirlix and Spritzee in the reveal.

If we do get more info relating to these fairy types, I will add a new discussion point.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Username: Alexial
Partner: Sylveon

I'm disappointed that I didn't join this club sooner lol. I love the Fairy type and I'm super excited to see how it develops and changes the current Pokemon landscape. I'm also very intrigued by the recent Corocoro scans. Mawile is officially fairy, is it not?

Also, I'll happily contribute some Fairy type related art if you guys are looking for some. n_n;

sylveon_sprite_zpse5f518a3.png

Years
Hey Alexial, welcome!

I will definitely add a Mawile to the group even if we only know for certain it's megalution is part fairy, but you never know if they will change his type as well.

Oh, and you reminded me, I need to add Dedenne to the roster.

Great, we need art!

Feel free to switch your partner if you come across your new found love as we get more and more reveals! I know I will when I get my Swirlix evo. Half of you are also in this boat :p

Discussion of the September CoroCoro and Nintendo Reveals:
What are your thoughts on Mawile becoming a Fairy type?
What are your thoughts about Mawiles Mega Form (all sentiments about mega's in general aside)?
What are your thoughts about our regional electric rodent being a fairy type, and/or your general thought about Dedenne?

Last edited:

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
What are your thoughts on Mawile becoming a Fairy type?
I've never used Mawile before, so I'll just base my thoughts on her design. That being said, I really love the idea! After reading a bit on her origin, she seems to be based on a Japanese youkai, so there's the mythological reference at least. Now, it is true that many Pokemon have supernatural origins anyway, but besides this, Mawile also likes luring her prey with its cuteness, and then chomp at it, which matches some myths about fairies being tricksters and deceiving others with their looks.

What are your thoughts about Mawiles Mega Form (all sentiments about mega's in general aside)?
It seems like the Mega Forms give each Pokemon that transforms to it a specific advantage, which is something always welcomed. I don't think they've revealed what Mawile's Mega Form actually does, probably a boost to its Attack, like it does for the Lucario and the others. Anyway, Mega Mawile looks really dangerous, so at least they nailed it with the design.

What are your thoughts about our regional electric rodent being a fairy type, and/or your general thought about Dedenne?
My first though: it looks too much like Raichu. I'm starting to warm up to it and accept the fact that there are only so many rodent designs that they can come up with it. About it being Fairy, I like it, well, I would've liked it being paired with any other type to be honest, I thought Emolga was really fun given her dual typing -- none other than Flying, which gave her immunity to Ground attacks! So I'm really curious about how exactly its Fairy typing will affect Dedenne's abilities, and I hope it's not just a marketing ploy to increase the regional electric mouse's popularity.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'm personally very happy that Mawile has gained the Fairy typing. Mawile is long overdue for some kind of boost, be it new typing or evolution or whatever. It's just such a reputation for being borderline useless.. so I'm glad it's finally going to get some prestige in the Pokemon world.

I love the Mega evolution too. n_n; It would totally be acceptable as just a normal evolution as well. Also, Fenneking, I made this for the thread! Just to donate in place of the Mawile that's up there now. Hope that's okay!
Mega_Mawile_Sprite_zps397c14ce.png

And even if Dedenne shares a lot of similarities with some other electric rodents.. I don't think it's a bad Pokemon at all! Uninspired or not, I think it fits perfectly in the "Kalos" world, if not the Pokemon world as a whole. Everything about it reads exactly as it should, in my opinion, and I wouldn't change it even if I could. Besides, the idea of a Fairy type being available so early in the game is great!

Years
Yeah, I agree with Dedenne. Plus, it is a round little hamster/gerbil-like pokemon, which is quite different from a pika. I wonder if they are going to give this little guy an evo? The trends would indicate 'no', but this generation seems to be addicted to breaking traditions, in mostly good ways.

The plusle/minun, Pachirisu, and Emolga lines have all been stand-alones. Dedenne may be a bit different with the unique typing.

In random news...
type in "swirlix evolution" into google images, and you get my picture as the fifth result. The pixel are is of a poodle I made prior to the Swirilx CoroCoro leak and decided that it could make a cute Swirlix evo after the leak. So, I would have designed it much differently had it been intended as an evo, but I just went with it since it was a cute, pinkish fluffy striped poodle! I was surprised there has only been two or three other designs for an evo.

dandicane___swirlix_evolution_by_fenne_king-d6d65kk.png

I know...Swirlix's shouldn't be breeding with Lopunny's :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back