• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How did you discover Rom Hacking?

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2017
I had just download GAMEMAKER and was discovering how to make an rpg game in it and i stumbeled upon a rom hacking video.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 5, 2015
I came accross rom hacking when looking for Pkmn Games (roms) and emulators.
I found Pkmn Shiny Gold (FR hack) and I started investigating and found lots of communities, awesome.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2011
I found a nice site that had tons of hacked pokemon games and noticed the game was basically changed from the originals. So I tried one (Brown) and thought it would be fun to make my own changes, yunno? So the first place I find is here at PC, been here off-and-on since, whenever I decide to hop on my hack and get some progress done. Still beginner so far, but my current project for a friend of mine has worked (almost) perfectly. He likes it, and its a good feeling making new areas and such and have the coding work for quests and special add-ons..

Thanks PC. :D

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
well i was looking for a firered game stumbled upon whackahack saw pokemon orange decided to download played it searched for more rom hacks stumbled upon this place :)

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Well, for me it was steady and slow, I wanted more GBA ROMS, so I downloaded hacks thinking they were made by Nitendo, one day I saw RD - RoL(Ruby Destiny - Reign of Legends) which had a few bugs. Then I searched : Pokemon Ruby Destiny. I found out what is a "ROM Hack". After playing Shiny Gold my brother said "Why don't we try hacking?". So I searched "Pokemon Fire Red how to hack" and from somewhere I got A-Map. I already knew about PC then and made an account. Then I stumbled upon other hack tools and here I am, a Pokemon ROM Hacker!

Years
One day,I was bored and I simply wanted to chance pokemon starters in Pokemon Fire Red,so I googled: Pokemon Fire Red change starters...I found it on a site whack a hack,and there,I discovered many,many,many,many hacks

barkalar

I just saw a few videos on ROM hacking and then started doing it myself.

Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2011
Lol people are posting like 3 paragraphs...I simply stumbled upon a hacked ROM and i was curious from the start.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Someone showed me Pokemon Naranja, and not only did I think it was cool, but it sparked an interest in me to figure out how it was made. That lead me to wah, where I found tools and other hacks. Then I found this site, and, well...here I am now!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2012
Prepare yourself for a tragedy worse than Shakespeare, worse than Sophocles, and worse than the tragic Generation 5 of pokemon (i have reasons for hating it. but that's another story!)

So anyways! This goes way back to when i was only in 7th grade. I liked this girl, a LOT. Her name was Emily. Now keep that Emily information in your mind, as we use HM05 FLASHback!

-flashback-
It's 7th grade, in 7th period. My teacher sends us over to the next-door computer lab every other day, to do whatever we wanted! So, beginning of the school year, we played stupid Flash Games. Later on, I discovered ROMs when searching up "Play Pokemon online", cause we all loved Pokemon :D We downloaded roms and VBA off of 4shared, cause most other sites were blocked by the school servers. So every other day, we'd play pokemon roms. Well, my crush Emily was liking this other boy. He didnt go to my school, so i looked him up on youtube (fortunately for me, he had his name somewhere so i was able to find it). He made these videos for Emily, which were ROM videos where he had edited the text and made small towns, playing it out like a movie. He was flirting with Emily, through pokemon. When he talked to a certain character she said "Oh..my name is Emily.." and then his said "wow, that's the most beautiful girl in the world! -blushes-" This made me ANGRY, yet SURPRISED at the same time. I had no idea how he did that. But i wasnt gonna message him and ask, because i now hated him. Well, i told my friends, nobody knew. A month or two later, when searching "Pokemon .gba" on 4shared, my friend came across "Pokemon Quartz.gba" OMFGWTF is that? I downloaded it too, an we played in amazement. Our jaws dropped. At first, we thought it was an unreleased version of pokemon, maybe a leak! But then Emily came over and said "Oh cool, you found a pokemon hack!" "uhh whaat?" i said.   Then she told me "My boyfriend makes those, its called a ROM hack."
Heres what I did:
1. Rip out my heart, because now that guy is her BOYFRIEND..</3
2. Search Pokemon ROM hack on google!

So, after ripping out a bloody heart, i went on to research this.
Many links came up, videos, tutorials, etc. and i got hooked! For years i've been doing this now, and i LOVE it!

-yet somehow, i only JUST NOW discovered PC. Everyone say welcome to lolwhet! :D

AlfaTyrogue

Swag.
Years
Well I have my own little Pokémon Forum RPG site (in danish though as that's where I'm from) and had a very creative region I made up and a good villainous team.
I was almost as good at mapping as I am today and had made a lot of okay cool maps. One day a guy from a grade under me sees me when I'm on the site. He liked pokémon too and asked me what it was.
I told him about the site and the region, and he told med he was able to make ROM hacks and make a pokémon game and asked me if I would like to make one with that region.
I said yes, of course and that is pretty much how I got to know it.
I'm still new and I'm making the entire region playable while some friends of mine help me out.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
About 2 - 3 years ago I was looking around for an online Pokemon game, I stumbled onto this site, I looked around and found the hacks showcase. Then I quickly educated myself on what are ROMs and Emulators (at this point my mind was blown) :P I also learnt how to use IPS files and patchers, I tried to download a hack but I had to be a member, so this account is the result... My first hack I played by the way was Ruby Destiny.

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I found it on youtube, and found Foullumps Pokemon White, I just had to try my hand at it >.<

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
i discovered pokemon hacks by playing pokemon quartz on gameboy advanced sp beta 3 or 4. then i looked up pokemon quartz and got a website witch had every bootleg made... then youtube brought me to wah then wahforum then pc

Aquamentis

Touhoumon Master
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 22, 2016
I found a different hack for touhoumon. And at the time it was pretty much dead, with people asking for things to be added and no one doing anything. I came in and asked for a edit to the game and was, in a polite rephrase, told to go away and do it myself. So I went to google, found this place and started to download tools and teach myself.

Back