• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
hi,

how can you tell if a pokemon has been EV trained or not, do they just have higher stats than a non EV trained poke at the same level?

To my knowledge you can't tell. Although if it has really good stats in certain stats then that could be a sign. But Iv's could be influencing that as well.

Cryptys

Vulpix/Ponyta Fanatic
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Nov 24, 2017
Coil Boost

I recently was catching pokemon/grinding on route 14 using Serperior, and I used Coil multiple times vs a Drifblim. And some of the time my stat increase from Coil would sharply increase all 3 stats instead of only increase them. I checked bulbapedia and didn't see any information about a move like Coil "critting" or raising more than one stage. I also don't see any abilities b/w the two pokemon that would increase stat changes. What gives?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I recently was catching pokemon/grinding on route 14 using Serperior, and I used Coil multiple times vs a Drifblim. And some of the time my stat increase from Coil would sharply increase all 3 stats instead of only increase them. I checked bulbapedia and didn't see any information about a move like Coil "critting" or raising more than one stage. I also don't see any abilities b/w the two pokemon that would increase stat changes. What gives?
My best guess is that you got hit by a move called Simple Beam. This move changes your Pokemon's ability to Simple, which doubles the effects of all stat-changing moves, which means if you Swords Dance, you get four attack levels instead of two, and if you get Leered, you lose two defense levels instead of one. This would work on Coil too, though I'm guessing it kinda backfired on the wild Pokemon using it.

Cryptys

Vulpix/Ponyta Fanatic
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Nov 24, 2017
My best guess is that you got hit by a move called Simple Beam. This move changes your Pokemon's ability to Simple, which doubles the effects of all stat-changing moves, which means if you Swords Dance, you get four attack levels instead of two, and if you get Leered, you lose two defense levels instead of one. This would work on Coil too, though I'm guessing it kinda backfired on the wild Pokemon using it.

It's possible, but I don't think my coil was doubled every turn I used it. I used it about 4 or 5 times consecutively and it only sometimes doubled the gain. =\ Dunno what it was about.

loveheartsxox

poke' fan for over 10 years
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 28, 2011
It seems that everyone is rambling on about other things and not answering my question?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It seems that everyone is rambling on about other things and not answering my question?

Just repost your question and see if someone answers it this time instead of mention how people are rambling :(

pokehunter87

Pokemon Breeder
Years
hello, quick question re: breeding shinies.

is it all just luck unless i cheat using AR or similar? im currently breeding a japanese drifblim with one i caught myself so is it just a matter of patience until i get a shiny drifloon?

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2023
hello, quick question re: breeding shinies.

is it all just luck unless i cheat using AR or similar? im currently breeding a japanese drifblim with one i caught myself so is it just a matter of patience until i get a shiny drifloon?

it's all about luck so good luck

Years
Hey I got a question. I´ve read that for EV training attack in black and white I need to fight lilipups at route 1, but I think patrat also gives attack EV's
Is it okay for me to fight either of them or even swap between them during my EV training.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Hey I got a question. I´ve read that for EV training attack in black and white I need to fight lilipups at route 1, but I think patrat also gives attack EV's
Is it okay for me to fight either of them or even swap between them during my EV training.

You're absolutely right, Patrat does also give attack EVs. It doesn't matter which one you fight, as long as you make sure that the Pokemon you're fighting gives the EVs you want. For future reference, if you're unsure on what EVs a Pokemon gives you, Serebii has that information on the Pokedex page. (:

So yeah, Lillipup and Patrat are the same for EV training, kill either one or both for one attack EV each.

DayDreamer

Pokemon Gamer
Years
What nature is it? Personally I wouldn't EV train any pokemon if the nature doesn't match what I want.

EVs depend on your moveset and what you want it to do. Yes foul play and night slash are physical attacks which uses the attack stat, however foul play uses your opponents attack stat so it doesn't matter what your attack stat is.

I would pump sp.attack and speed. Get foul play and some other special attack moves.

beca

◔_____◔
Years
I read a while ago that the Crown Beasts unlock something special in Black or White - has it been confirmed yet what happens?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I read a while ago that the Crown Beasts unlock something special in Black or White - has it been confirmed yet what happens?

Crown Beasts being the Entei, Raikou, and Suicune recently given away? It allows you to catch a wild Zoroark. Similarly, the Celebi given away allows you to receive a Zorua in Black and White.

beca

◔_____◔
Years
Were they given away again then? xD
& I didn't even know about a Celebi event. When was that?
Thanks for the quick response =]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Were they given away again then? xD
& I didn't even know about a Celebi event. When was that?
Thanks for the quick response =]

Celebi was a Gamestop giveaway from February 21 until March 7 this year. The dogs were given away a second time in February as well, in addition to the times in January that they were given out.

If you use the Transfer Machine (In Castelia I believe?) with any of the shiny dogs, you unlock an event that allows you to catch a Zoroark. Make sure to use that and not the normal transfer system or it won't work (:

And no problem, I'm just sitting in class not paying attention anyway, baha.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
Years
Time Events Have Stopped

I've had Black Version since its North American launch and have been playing it a ton without any problems. After getting the 3DS yesterday, I spent about 5 minutes trying out Black Version on it. Since then, however, all of the time based events have essentially stopped for me. I can't battle Cheren, I can't have my Pokemon get a daily massage, I can't fight the trainers in Black City, etc. Strangely enough, though, I can still battle 5 of the 8 trainers in Nimbasa's stadium (The 3 athletes and 2 double battles, but the last 3 trainers won't battle).

Since then I've tried playing the game on each of my 2 DSes and 3DS, moving the clock around, and just waiting for the date to change normally in hopes of the time events resetting themselves. Unfortunately, none of those have worked.

If any of you know how to fix this issue or have any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Have you tried setting your clock to 11:50 PM or so and waiting for the date to roll over to see if it worked? That's very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back