• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dad?

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Well, in the games, usually there is something that "Dad" bought in your room (i,e," A TV Dad gave me for my birthday" when looking at the TV in your room in BW). B'sides, I always thought he was out on his own adventure. Also, I believe in DPPt, Palmer was Barry's (Pearl/Rival) father- It may be possible the Protagonist's father has a similar role (I always thought that Caitlin's Butler/ Battle Castle Frontier Brain looked suspiciously like the protagonist for some reason).

In the anime, isn't it said that Giovanni dated Ash's mother? And with that, wouldn't there be (or has been) speculation about Ash being Giovanni son? With that, wouldn't that make Ash "Silver(?)"

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I always assume he went off on his own journey somewhere.

I do want to see a game in the future have the dad be home and the mom absent, just to switch it up a bit.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
I always assume he went off on his own journey somewhere.

I do want to see a game in the future have the dad be home and the mom absent, just to switch it up a bit.

Well, that would be anti-traditional. Doesn't the mother always stay home (stereo-typically)? Maybe grandparents? The mother and father would be... gym leaders (double battle a la Tate & Liza in Gen III)? And they would be home at night-time, seeing now that there are different parts of the day.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Considering that Barry's dad is a very successful Trainer (Battle Tower Brain) I imagine that it's normal for males in the Pokemon world to continue battling, perhaps to raise money for their family, whom they never really get to see. Also, some mothers in games have also been trainers previously. Considering the world's general view on maternity, it would make sense that in the Pokemon World, women stay at home to care for the child until he/she can become a trainer too. Your father was probably never quite as successful (except in 3rd gen) and as such, you are probably aiming to surpass his legacy. At least, that's how I look at it.

Years
This is more of a trivial fact then headcanon but related nevertheless. I don't believe I have enough posts for linking to the source but Google is always there for you. Hopefully you can just take my word for it.

As we all know SNES came before GB/GBC. Hopefully that common sense. Earthbound (Mother 2) was a SNES RPG that they wanted to try to sell in the US so badly that they even include a guide in the giant box that it came in.

Ok, one of the things that inspired the guy who made Earthbound was The Body which the short story Stand By Me was based on.

On Pokemon G/R/B/Y (pretty sure it was on Yellow as well) the TV in your house have a scene from Stand By Me.

Sure, it could just be a totally random reference but it could also been a way for Pokemon show reference from Earthbound. You could also just type the two simple keywords "Pokemon Earthbound" into Google to find other stuff that people think are references from Earthbound, some less believable while others like Pokemon naming their towns after colors like how Earthbound name theirs by numbers (Fourside) are more so.

Worth pointing out that Ness didn't really have a father at home, love to ride bikes and lastly he wear a cap.

Basically, the fact could be simply because Ness didn't had one, Red doesn't get one either. It could just by a copypasta design choice.

Now back to the fun discussion of headcanon. My favorites are currently:
1. He died in a war.
2. Team Rocket Boss is him. Explain why his gym was right next to his town.
3. The guy who help you in Brock's gym was your father too scared to tell you so. He travel gym to gym to help you out which explains why the gyms allow such a guy...He shouldn't be there!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I have always wondered about this. It's strange, really. There isn't even a question. Why? How does it make any sense? It's just boring doing the same-old, same-old.

Although cliche, one story I came up with was the protagonist setting out trying to find their father, only to discover that he was the head of the local terrorist organization, Team Terrible (yes, I was that terrible with names at the time). That would be an interesting twist nonetheless - trying to find one's father. The Pokemon games are going to need that, and it seems to be the next logical step, or at least something to add in...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
3. The guy who help you in Brock's gym was your father too scared to tell you so. He travel gym to gym to help you out which explains why the gyms allow such a guy...He shouldn't be there!

Haha, this is a great theory! It would be such a neat twist if the next game revealed this.

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
Years
I always thought your Mom was a single mother who doesn't like talking about their ex husband/parter
Or maybe your Mom doesn't know who the father is either for whatever reason

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
I just think in the first games it wasn't necessary to the story to add one, and (like most Pokemon games do) they just stuck with the habit of not adding one; except in third gen where they threw a curve ball.
All I know is things would be different around here if Blastoise was MY dad.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2018
If you press A when you're facing a TV in Celadon's department store in FR/LG -- dunno if it's the same in HG/SS, R/B/Y or G/S/C -- some text will come up saying something about the player's dad. I forget exactly how it goes, but it's nothing major, just a throwaway things saying that "dad would like this" or some such. I'd say that's some solid evidence that Red/Leaf know their dad, don't you think?

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
If you press A when you're facing a TV in Celadon's department store in FR/LG -- dunno if it's the same in HG/SS, R/B/Y or G/S/C -- some text will come up saying something about the player's dad. I forget exactly how it goes, but it's nothing major, just a throwaway things saying that "dad would like this" or some such. I'd say that's some solid evidence that Red/Leaf know their dad, don't you think?

True, true. Same goes for Black in your room, like I said before.

ZettaSlowbro said:
A Charizard could have eaten your dad...
>_>
<_<

Heheh, I see what you did there. Although, if a Charizard did eat your dad, then he would be in a field involving Pokemon, right (Trainer, Professor, etc)?

I think, that they should seriously consider your father being the Champion- or every weekend he's home, and you get to battle him (after the E4). He would be on a random route during the day, or battling other trainers.

Or what if your dad was your rival? Or at least one of them? Or even a situation like Roxie and her father in B2W2?

Years
I don't think I have ever considered where the dad would be? This is interesting because, I never thought twice about only seeing the mother in the Pokemon games. Though this may be because, I lived only with my mother in my later high school years.

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
I honestly never thought about the player's dad in the games. Weird, because I'm much closer to my father than my mother.
The only dad I have wondered about is Ash's father. I always thought it was either Giovanni or Lance for whatever reason.

Back