• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Also idk in other things I guess we could have typing X and typing Y, and Pokemon coming under those typings, like that X/Y actually means the typings, and X-Scissor etc and V-create, anything letter-based comes under that typing now. Would change up everything we know right nowww.

Don't you think that's stretching it a little bit too much? I mean, what would those types stand for? How would they relate to the types that already exist? And why would you give an attack a typing just because of its name? I mean, i'm open for almost any ideas, but this is a little bit too much i think...

Guy

just a guy
Years
Types usually have something to do with an element or being of some sort. If they introduced something like an X-type or Y-type, it would seem extremely out of place in my opinion. Like, how would you give an X or Y type any weaknesses and strengths compared to the other types? It's an odd fit.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
They'd represent... chromosomes, I guess. They could be weak to each other! And also weak to fighting/normal because those are human things and if you have bad DNA you might not be normal or you might be bad at fighting. I don't know, I doubt it happening - but still wouldn't that be a shock, that Sylveon is X or Y-typed for example??

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
They'd represent... chromosomes, I guess. They could be weak to each other! And also weak to fighting/normal because those are human things and if you have bad DNA you might not be normal or you might be bad at fighting. I don't know, I doubt it happening - but still wouldn't that be a shock, that Sylveon is X or Y-typed for example??

Well, DNA comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes, really; a person can become bad at fighting, but a person can become very good at fighting. Plus, I don't know how Sylveon represents "Y", when we can say that Yuvental represents "Y", but still, it'd be hard to imagine why. So, I dunno, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, because it's actually a very interesting idea you have here, it's juuust a little too broad in my opinion.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I fail to see that connection honestly. Shivi pretty much nailed it in saying that they're based on elements that we find in the world. Which is why I'm actually against things like a Light type, since between Fire and Electric we already have giving light covered.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
X- / Y-type doesn't make much sense to me. Sure they could be types, but as previously stated, what do they represent? How do we determine what it's effective against and resisted by? We already have this lovely complex version of rock-paper-scissors that in general makes sense (and if it doesn't, you can at least strain it to make as much sense as paper beating rock) and introducing an X- / Y-type would only create confusion.

And yeah, there are still a hell of a lot of type combinations to explore. The only reason Gen II got away with added two new types is because they made sense in terms of the natural world and their stigmas weren't exactly met by other types already (like light being met by fire and electric). I guess you could argue that Rock and Steel are quite similar, however I can also argue that Steel may have been added for balancing reasons. Dragons were scary without anything that resisted it and none of the other types really make sense resisting Dragon. This argument could also hold true for Dark as Psychic was rampant in Gen I.

Considering how "balanced" the game is right now mechanics-wise, I don't think it's intelligent to introduce new types because of how much it can throw that off. We don't want another Gen I Psychic-Type running around do we? To put it bluntly, I won't be continuing my interest in Pokemon if they add a new type.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Sooo... given that the supposed superhype about Sylveon was completely ignored by the lastest Corocoro despite the last issue explicitly saying there'd be more about it, I'm starting to feel like there's no real secret behind Sylveon's type, and that it'll be one of the existing types. That doesn't eliminate the possibility of a new type entirely if it's true, but it does feel like it rather shrinks it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I never believed that GF would ever make a light type, I mean we already have a type to fill that in - Psychic. I always thought that Psychic was the pokemon version of light. Just take a look at Espeon and Umbreon, they represent light and darkness, but Espeon is psychic and Umbreon is dark. There is even a move in the psychic category called 'Light Screen'. I also don't want the same thing to happen where rock and ground are two completely different types with completely different uses. I don't want Light and Psychic to be completely different types with different uses.

I think the type system is fine just the way it is.

I do however want a sound type, as there is no type similar to it. And there are lots of both sound based moves and pokemon such as Jigglypuff and Exploud.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
I never believed that GF would ever make a light type, I mean we already have a type to fill that in - Psychic. I always thought that Psychic was the pokemon version of light. Just take a look at Espeon and Umbreon, they represent light and darkness, but Espeon is psychic and Umbreon is dark. There is even a move in the psychic category called 'Light Screen'. I also don't want the same thing to happen where rock and ground are two completely different types with completely different uses. I don't want Light and Psychic to be completely different types with different uses.

I think the type system is fine just the way it is.

I do however want a sound type, as there is no type similar to it. And there are lots of both sound based moves and pokemon such as Jigglypuff and Exploud.

I don't really see that. Psychic is based off of the mind and is weak to the three most common fears of Bugs, Ghosts, and the Dark. Also some Psychic Pokemon like Hypno are far from being considered good(Especially with the Hypo's Lullaby poem). The sound-type is rummored along side the light-type and many Pokemon will be re-typed to both.
Spoiler:

Years
Gamefreak most likely doesn't have the guts to do something like that, and for good reason. This has a great chance to completely screw balance, and is very high risk because of the unpredictability of the consumer's reaction. And either way it's not very necessary, there's plenty of types as it is.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Gamefreak most likely doesn't have the guts to do something like that, and for good reason. This has a great chance to completely screw balance, and is very high risk because of the unpredictability of the consumer's reaction. And either way it's not very necessary, there's plenty of types as it is.

But there's also the chance that it'll be perfectly balanced too. GameFreak have been known to take risks lately really, with the whole sequels thing, crossing over from out of Pokemon etc.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
In every even gen (2, 4) new things were added. New types in 2, new evolutions in 4, so hy not new types again?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years

I think this is reasonable enough. If they do add types, I can't see how Light or Sound would become the new Gen 1 Psychic "beast" of Gen 6.

Plus, just look at the Pokemon that would be considered FOR these new types (based on user speculation). Jigglypuff? Wailmer? Hardly OP as it is. I can't see it being game-breaking.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I get why Wailmer would be sound but I'd say it'd be a big stretch and in general as it is I don't think there's enough different Sound-types for it to be viable compared to moves/everything else Light would have.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 24, 2017
I don't think it will and I don't want it to happen. It would mess up the balance of the game that we've had as well as get complicated if they changed old pokemon or old moves into a different type. We don't need to make things more complicated. plus developing enough support through tms and features as well as new pokemon for said new type would take away from the incredible potential of the new game which could be focused on perfecting the old pokemon.

Years
I very much hope we do not get new types. I think it is balanced well enough, however, I wouldn't mind seeing some weird mash ups of types to make things interesting.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
from what i saw here, there were speculations about digital, space, sound, light, heck- i even saw ancient!

i think adding a new type or types is unlikely to happen, but still, i think they should be RE-TYPING immediatley!

with all this new untyped evvelution Sylveon is, retyping is the bets thing that game needs to do. Like, if you were given the chance to change the type of a pokemon of your choosing, what would you do? probably make magnemite a steel type and not electric, make rotom an electric only and not ghost, add the water type to bidoof too and not just bibarel...it's common sense a beaver would be part-water right?

you can disagree if you want, but i think i made a interesting point.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
from what i saw here, there were speculations about digital, space, sound, light, heck- i even saw ancient!

i think adding a new type or types is unlikely to happen, but still, i think they should be RE-TYPING immediatley!

with all this new untyped evvelution Sylveon is, retyping is the bets thing that game needs to do. Like, if you were given the chance to change the type of a pokemon of your choosing, what would you do? probably make magnemite a steel type and not electric, make rotom an electric only and not ghost, add the water type to bidoof too and not just bibarel...it's common sense a beaver would be part-water right?

you can disagree if you want, but i think i made a interesting point.

No, your point isn't that interesting, in fact its been said quite a few times by other people and then forgotten because it doesn't make sense or is too much trouble to even bother with. Beavers also don't all live in water so them being part water was a tag on. Gamefreak is known for tagging on types with Normal to increase the number of types in a game. Its kinda lazy, but I don't see Bidoof needing Water Typing. I don't see any need to retype other Pokemon. As for new types, While it would be something nice as it effects all veterans more than new players, I don't see any need to add them at this point and time. They'd probably be better being added later on in another two or three generations.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Light type would be the best choice right now....

I'm really waiting for an Ice/Light Pokemon!

Last edited:
Back