• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Haiku Contest III

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
haikubanner.png

Banner by DNA on PokeBeach

Biweekly Haiku Contest III

Rules and Entry Information

1.) Signups are determined on a first-come/first-serve basis. Entrants must submit an entry when they ask to signup. Spots will not be saved for people, even if they ask to reserve them

2.) This is a haiku-only contest, meaning that poems must meet the requirement for American/English haikus. The form is based on the amount of syllables, parts that a word sounds like it's broken up into, per line (specifically, five syllables on the first line, seven on the second, and five on the last). If a poem is one or two syllables under/over, they might still be accepted at the host's discretion, but please try to keep track of how many syllables are in each word you use.

3.) Poems must incorporate a select theme each round. Due to writers' interpretations of themes, entries will not be turned down so long as the theme is at least referenced in the poem. However, poems that have nothing to do with the theme at all will be disqualified.

4.) The submission period ends one week from the day this thread has been started. After which, the voting period begins and lasts an additional week. Votes are to be submitted via PM or VM to the host (i.e. Incinermyn) in the form of a ballot. Each person is allowed to vote for up to three poems, and contestants ARE allowed to vote for their own entries. Once the voting deadline passes, votes will be tallied and the three entries with the most votes will be announced. In the event of a tie or lack of votes, the host will cast the deciding vote.

Round Theme: Renewal
Entry Deadline: Saturday, January 11th, 2014 (12:00PM/Noon, CST)
Voting Deadline: Saturday, January 18th, 2014 (12:00PM/Noon, CST).

*Rules, timescales, and other parameters are subject to change without notice.

Entry List

1.) By ToWriteLove
Rejuvenation,
A rebirth of self and all,
First day, New day, Whole

2.) By Slayr231
Shedding the old skin,
Becoming anew again.
Growing ever strong.

3.) By Zephyrion
Amidst the dead soil,
A flower blooms from the ground
New life has been found

4.) By BlahISuck
Chalk white bones in soup:
The lucid broth brings to life
Mine own, cold and dry.

5.) By Wobbu
A lonely acorn.
Hoping to be tall one day,
Just like its parent.

6.) By Vociferocity
wings reduced to ash -
knowing that you'll rise once more
doesn't stop the pain.

7.) By chaoticlapras
I fell off the cliff
My soul escaping from me
I was born again

Last edited:

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
Sorry if this isn't where I submit entry, it's been a year or so since I have touched the Poetry forums. ^^

Rejuvenation,
A rebirth of self and all,
First day, New day, Whole

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
what did you change? also: I'm not sure how I feel about how the two voting rules "can vote for yourself" and "can vote for up to three people" work together. people can vote for themselves and nobody else, which I get the feeling might have happened last round?

related: it's also kind of lame to see how few people actually vote, considering how many enter. but I don't think there's really any way to fix that? maybe give everyone who votes an extra point?

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
I didn't change anything, just updated the OP with Slayr's entry. I've been debating on the "vote for yourself" thing too, but I don't think I'm going to change it. I /may/ make it manditory for people who enter to vote for at least one person, however. I just don't want to have to go around reminding people to vote or risk getting disqualified, though.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Wait, we can vote for ourselves? +1 to Slayr's entry!

^Is what I would say if I were selfish. I don't really like that rule because then people could just vote for themselves without reading any of the entries. I'm not going to force you to change it, this is your contest after all, but I would change it.

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
I say, depending on the number of people entered, there should be no voting for yourself. If five or less people enter, only one vote per person, if 6+ enter, you have two votes, your Vote One is worth three points and your vote two is worth one point.

A little more complicated, but more balanced I believe.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
I'll consider some revisions to the voting process, but I probably won't implement them until next round, depending on how things go this time around.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Crap I forgot to vote last round ಠ_ಠ If you're going to make it mandatory for the contestants to vote at least one other person then I suggest handing out PMs to said contestants when the voting period begins. Completely up to you, though. Anyway, here's my entry:

Amidst the dead soil,
A flower blooms from the ground
New life has been found

Years
Chalk white bones in soup:
The lucid broth brings to life
Mine own, cold and dry.

I forgot to vote last time ;; I'll try to get mine in by the deadline this time.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Congratulations to BlahISuck for first place, Zephyrion for second place, and Strawberry and Vociferocity for tying third place last contest!

A lonely acorn.
Hoping to be tall one day,
Just like its parent.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
oops, just remembered that I never actually entered this!

wings reduced to ash -
knowing that you'll rise once more
doesn't stop the pain.

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2015
Hey guys! ChaoticLapras here, along with a haiku. I used to be quite active in FF&W back in the day, but I left PC :(

I'm hoping to come back to this forum, and so thought the best way would be to enter a haiku! Sorry if it's not that good - I can't write on a theme well...

I fell off the cliff
My soul escaping from me
I was born again

I wanted:

I fell off of the cliff
My soul escaping from me
and I was born again

But it wouldn't fit :(

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Well, the only point in having a theme is to give people something to write about. It also keeps entries fairly consistent.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Voting continues until Saturday. The turnout is up from the previous rounds, but I'd still like to get some more votes before the deadline.

Back