• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Amaranth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Great screens,
but i think you're using the gas screen filter a little too heavily, I get it's part of the storyline, but i would try toning it down, especially the purple one.
Point taken, it's one of these things that I constantly tinker, so expect something a less "intense". =)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Being honest, the graphics and the mapping in this game are some of the worst I've seen in a fan game, and that's simply a criticism. The sprites that you commissioned, such as the overworlds and trainer sprites are great. But the thing is, everything you've commissioned is far better than everything you've done. The graphics you did yourself for the battle system and the intro don't suit a Pokemon game at all. You're mixing pixel art with graphic design which does not work. It is a clash of style. The fogs are way too heavy and make the clarity of the game fall to zero. They're simply hiding the fact that there is terrible maps underneath. The maps I've seen on DA are open, messy, the paths don't work with the ground, empty, shapeless, and the pink trees and odd colours do not favour the game at all. This isn't a solid Pokemon game at all. The overworld maps and so on do not resemble a Pokemon game. It looked a lot better like this, despite being quite unoriginal it still had correct colours, and some semblance of decent mapping and clarity. I'm sorry to say, but you're not doing the game any favours with the direction you're going in with these graphics, tiles and the way you map.

The first thing I would actually suggest is that you get a tileset that works together, and don't put things like paths which go on grass onto mountains. I recommend that you go back to normal colours and avoid pink trees and brown water and so on. Then you're going to need to learn to map a lot better. Your routes are not playable. The player is simply going to walk through empty maps with open spaces and it's simply boring, as well as seeing hundreds of tile errors.

If you need help with any of these things do not be afraid to contact me. I think you need to hone your skills and find a direction. It's good to be original, but remember you're still making a Pokemon game. And you still need to worry about clarity and making the game playable.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Being honest, the graphics and the mapping in this game are some of the worst I've seen in a fan game, and that's simply a criticism. The sprites that you commissioned, such as the overworlds and trainer sprites are great. But the thing is, everything you've commissioned is far better than everything you've done. The graphics you did yourself for the battle system and the intro don't suit a Pokemon game at all. You're mixing pixel art with graphic design which does not work. It is a clash of style. The fogs are way too heavy and make the clarity of the game fall to zero. They're simply hiding the fact that there is terrible maps underneath. The maps I've seen on DA are open, messy, the paths don't work with the ground, empty, shapeless, and the pink trees and odd colours do not favour the game at all. This isn't a solid Pokemon game at all. The overworld maps and so on do not resemble a Pokemon game. It looked a lot better like this, despite being quite unoriginal it still had correct colours, and some semblance of decent mapping and clarity. I'm sorry to say, but you're not doing the game any favours with the direction you're going in with these graphics, tiles and the way you map.

The first thing I would actually suggest is that you get a tileset that works together, and don't put things like paths which go on grass onto mountains. I recommend that you go back to normal colours and avoid pink trees and brown water and so on. Then you're going to need to learn to map a lot better. Your routes are not playable. The player is simply going to walk through empty maps with open spaces and it's simply boring, as well as seeing hundreds of tile errors.

If you need help with any of these things do not be afraid to contact me. I think you need to hone your skills and find a direction. It's good to be original, but remember you're still making a Pokemon game. And you still need to worry about clarity and making the game playable.

True.
But I like the photoshop GUI, i think it looks better then the one Black/White had.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014

Okay. I have just finished finals, I'm free to work on this project now without any hindrance. I think it would be good time to just step back and think about how I should make this work.

Thanks for your input, as always it is appreciated. =)

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
I hope you're not using Lucas in the final version.
I hate his hat :P

Master-Pixel

Fakemon Artist
Years
Hmmm; overall a brilliant concept :D
The graphics are well made; and positioned in a ncie way on maps; creating that Pokemon-Esque feel, the storyline is awesome, and battle screens look good :D

However there are a few things which I'd suggest you'd change;
The Gym Leader Warning; I just feel it's unnessecary, you already know what type of Gym it is usually through the Gym Signs or the name of the Town or City - the Gym Leader Warning just seems to give to much away; in essence taking away that anticipation when you go fight the gym leader's first pokemon without knowing what Pokemon the Gym Leader has :/ Moreover having the warning; might possibly make the game to easy; as players would then adapt their team to suit the Gym Leader's; adapting to their Weaknesses and Strengths :/

Another thing is with the Battle Graphics's; the platform for the Pokemon aren't that appealing; they look more like a dip; rather then something they stand on :/

Bear in mind; this is my opinion - so don't go changing it due to what I think - just consider what I've said :D
Hopefully I've helped :D

Keep the good work up on Amaranth :D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm afraid this thread is well past it's revival date of 2 months. Try not to revive threads that old Shaly. I haven't seen any updates on it in a long time, so perhaps it has been. Either way, gonna close this one up.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back