• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
And my map:
I'm worried most about the mountains. Mine never feel natural. Any advice?
advice??
well try to make them as random as u can if u dont know how look at some other maps posted here they will help u surely:)
well to the map it is unatrual and u overused those sand where pokemon will apear really there should be tiles where wont apera pokemons coz they can get annoying sometimes...
ass i said try making them more random and not overuse the sand where u meet pokemon.
final rating 6/10

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Well, I'd give it 2 or 3/10 (sorry :P)
When you have more experience you will look back at this map and understand. My first maps were like this.
Firstly, the square shape isn't the most interesting to play and you haven't changed the classic 2 house starter town with a route to the north.
Maybe a slight overuse of the red flower? The trees don't look natural in their placement. I like the use of grass tiles though to make it natural looking. The puddle in the middle I have an issue with though as it's a bit on the large side (but a nice shape).
Also try adding that lighter grass as paths and maybe some more houses, it looks a bit odd having 2 houses on their own.
Sorry for the amount of pointers but I think their constructive. :)

Now for mine :D
This is Beachfront Isle, the starter town in my hack. I thought it would be interesting to begin on an island then travel on a boat to one of the bigger islands.
beachfrontisle.jpg

I'd say this map is very good. It's a nice deviation from the norm, and it's not some big square thing like some towns. Only thing wrong is the above mentioned tile errors. Also, some of the island has bits that go from grass to rock face without a transition. Also, the houses seem like they have too many signs, but I wouldn't know, there may be a reason for that. Suggestions include maybe a few more trees, but its your choice. I just like trees. 8/10

OK, it's time for me to post my map...Even though I'm sure it's terrible.
Map Name: Hydroville (Wow creative ._.)

Map Game: Firered

Comments: This town has been edited about five times now. It's the players hometown, but the gym isn't to be accessed until you get Surf. Many of the trees can be headbutted. Not sure what other relevant things to say.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

I'm worried most about the mountains. Mine never feel natural. Any advice?

When I make mountains, besides being random, I try to always follow them through. I don't like leaving big flat expanses of mountain exposed...I don't think it looks good. I hope I'm explaining myself well...I stink at that kind of thing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Rating: 7
Reason: Some things don't look natural. Others don't look artificial.

Suggestions:
I'll start with the mountains, since that is your biggest concern. They look pretty good -- but it's odd that the bottom side is perfectly straight and flat...

The Pokecenter doesn't look very good (no offense), and it doesn't fit with the rest of the buildings (which all use official blocks). I'd recommend creating copies of the PokeMart blocks, and modifying them to make a Pokecenter that is four blocks wide (like your custom one). Most of the work would simply be a palette swap, so you shouldn't need to edit tilesets -- just blocks. The result will look better and be more consistent with the other FireRed buildings in the town.

The water and coastlines are perfectly straight and rectangular. This is not something you would see on a natural coastline. Now, if the city's coast was shaped or altered by the people, then that's fine... But if it's supposed to be a natural shoreline, then it'll need some unevening out.

You have the opposite problem with some of your fencing. The upper-left building's fence... Why would it wrap around the tree, creating such an odd-looking shape? If I were building a fence in a yard, I wouldn't exclude such a large area because of one tree. I'd build the fence around the tree.

(Moving the tree would be difficult... If you create custom blocks, you won't have to move it that far, and it'll still fit in with the scenery. If you create a 2x3 group of blocks, where the left side is half-grass half-tree, and the right side is half-tree and fence, then it'll look pretty nice.)

Your Gym's ledge is odd. The way you've placed that ledge makes the ledge look completely flat against the ground. Imagine if that area were 3D: for it to make sense, the sign would have to be placed atop a very narrow slope... So why is the coastline perfectly flat? If you move the end of the ledge inland a bit, then this is less of a problem (because one could reason that the slope is steepest near the ledge, and it grows flatter as one moves westward toward the shore). You also have a tile error: the ledge is "clipped" where it meets the northern fence.

The bridge in the middle seems very, very thin. It wouldn't be that thin or that square if it were natural, but if someone wanted to build a manmade bridge -- a route of travel -- then why would they make it so narrow? Larger paths allow more people to travel more conveniently. The bridge therefore doesn't look natural or manmade; it just looks awkward. This same flaw is noticeable on the eastern and western entrances to the town.

The sign thing in front of the southwestern building looks flat. Look closely at the outlines of similar structures in the game's original blocks: note how Game Freak made careful use of high-contrast shading, and how they even applied subtle highlights to the outlines of shapes. Try to mimic that. And perhaps put a faint shadow on the ground beneath the sign?

Final remarks:
As always, I'm better at seeing flaws than at seeing strengths. The map is quite nice, save for the weak points above. In any case, I doubt that most people would even notice some of the things I've pointed out, so definitely don't let my nitpicking discourage you from any future mapping.

LapeFruitz

Khaos Hacker
Years
OK, it's time for me to post my map...Even though I'm sure it's terrible.
Map Name: Hydroville (Wow creative ._.)

Map Game: Firered

Comments: This town has been edited about five times now. It's the players hometown, but the gym isn't to be accessed until you get Surf. Many of the trees can be headbutted. Not sure what other relevant things to say.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

It's an OK map, but there are some tile errors, ex: the small trees to the left don't have the top when they overlap eachother, and you put the top over a tile where there should of been another tree. I like the normal trees, they look pretty cool. Whats up with those double fences over by the ugly looking pokemon center? The map is also very square, which doesn't look good :\

------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Kontrola Town
Map Game: Firered Hack
Comments: This is the beginning town of my hack. This is the third version and I'm pretty happy about it, tell me what you think.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Comments: This is the beginning town of my hack. This is the third version and I'm pretty happy about it, tell me what you think.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Review: There's something about this map I don't like. It's probably because the trees have shadowing errors. And I know that this isn't the palette rating thread but you should switch back the House and small house palettes where they belong. And in the left corner there is some grass spaces but that isn't even needed since you can't access that part of the map anyway. The shape of the pond is a bit weird, but that doesn't really matter much. Your flower placing is okay-ish...

Suggestions:
Fill in the space at the left corner, fill in the tree shadowing, switch back the palettes, randomize the flower and bush placing a bit...

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
It's an OK map, but there are some tile errors, ex: the small trees to the left don't have the top when they overlap eachother, and you put the top over a tile where there should of been another tree. I like the normal trees, they look pretty cool. Whats up with those double fences over by the ugly looking pokemon center? The map is also very square, which doesn't look good :\

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

ohk first off that side area is unaccesible unless it is really needed i dunno why its their :? the flower placement isnt bad but in some places its just randomely every where lol the trees have some shadow errors :) hmm i have to say over all its not bad so i think i shall go with

____
7/10
____

credits yea alucas calis project and Anbuja
map
Spoiler:

(Btw i saw their are a few trees with side errors i just noticed now)

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2014
my map town 1
rom FR
pokemon tanzanite
map
Spoiler:

My score: 8/10

It looks very nice, however I feel that more could be done with the open space. Maybe add a few more trees to it.

This is my first map in a while:
Spoiler:

Apologies for the quality of the image. I'm aware it's not a very good map. I haven't made a map in about three years and I'm just getting back into it. A few things that immediately spring to mind are the dead straight paths and the Pallet Town base feel to it. If anyone could offer some critique to it, it'd be much appreciated.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
beechtown.jpg
Apologies for the quality of the image. I'm aware it's not a very good map. I haven't made a map in about three years and I'm just getting back into it. A few things that immediately spring to mind are the dead straight paths and the Pallet Town base feel to it. If anyone could offer some critique to it, it'd be much appreciated.
Rating: 4.5/10
Reason: Very basic. Image quality also makes it hard to rate.

Suggestions:
Well, you already identified the biggest issue in the map: it's very square, and feels too much like Pallet. I don't think you're right about straight paths, though; it's a manmade town, and humans tend to construct straight paths connecting locations. (Roads.) The straight paths (lightened grass) between buildings should stay, but you should definitely make the treelike more irregular.

Also, it's very hard to take a good look at your map when you screenshot it with the Grid enabled. Tile errors become harder to spot and the image itself just becomes uglier. :<

Final Remarks:
Keep the manmade stuff straight and regular. Make the natural stuff a little less straight and regular. And turn the grid off.

* * * * *​

Anyone wanna rate or review mine? I built a custom tileset using custom palettes and (mostly) built-in tiles, and I don't know if it's very good. (It's not done yet, so please excuse the green door, the tile error near the bottom-center where a cave exit will be, and the expanse of empty flooring to the right.)
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Anyone wanna rate or review mine? I built a custom tileset using custom palettes and (mostly) built-in tiles, and I don't know if it's very good. (It's not done yet, so please excuse the green door, the tile error near the bottom-center where a cave exit will be, and the expanse of empty flooring to the right.)

Rating: 7/10

Reason: I don't think that the golden statues and staircases match the colour of the cave which causes them to stand out a bit much. Also, the statues aren't placed in a very good way and are a bit too close together, and as a result they look like they were just placed without thought. Finally, the area with the hole in the middle of the map (which will probably be some kind of event?) is almost a dead straight path from the entrance, which makes the edges of the map a bit pointless. Apart from these reasons, it is a great cave and has a well designed layout and tileset :)

Suggestions: Place the statues in a more organised way (such as having two on either side of where the player will walk down), spread these statues out, maybe redesign the statues to have a more stoney look to match the rest of the map, and move the entrance to make a more challenging map.

And here's my map:

Map Name: Lexdew Town

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: The starter town for my new hack. Credits to Full Metal for the Rom Base

View attachment 61514

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017

Reason: I don't think that the golden statues and staircases match the colour of the cave which causes them to stand out a bit much. Also, the statues aren't placed in a very good way and are a bit too close together, and as a result they look like they were just placed without thought. Finally, the area with the hole in the middle of the map (which will probably be some kind of event?) is almost a dead straight path from the entrance, which makes the edges of the map a bit pointless. Apart from these reasons, it is a great cave and has a well designed layout and tileset :)

Suggestions: Place the statues in a more organised way (such as having two on either side of where the player will walk down), spread these statues out, maybe redesign the statues to have a more stoney look to match the rest of the map, and move the entrance to make a more challenging map.

And here's my map:

Comments: The starter town for my new hack. Credits to Full Metal for the Rom Base

View attachment 61514

wow impressive i have to say the mountains in my opinion should have a little bit more natural to them but thats fine the house placement id great and not too squashed i really have to say Good map:) so i know you people like ratings 8.5/10
game?? for a friend
comments the screenshot cut out the top bit :(
Spoiler:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
ohk first off that side area is unaccesible unless it is really needed i dunno why its their :? the flower placement isnt bad but in some places its just randomely every where lol the trees have some shadow errors :) hmm i have to say over all its not bad so i think i shall go with

____
7/10
____

map
Spoiler:

Okay well this doesn't really look like a town. It looks more like an assortment of building in the middle of the forest. The path is too small in that it doesn't cover a route to all of the houses. The pond is a nice touch however. The two houses at the bottom look too small and all of the houses use the same palette which makes the map look monotonous. But above all the map looks empty. There's not enough going on for a map of that size. It'd be a good idea to either trim down the size of the map or add something else to fill up the empty spaces.

Rating: 4/10

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
First things first, the lack of tree shading is really noticeable. I never knew shading had such an impact. Secondly, the flowers look too dark and unnatural. Third the houses [the small ones with the red roof] are missing windows which make them look unrealistic.

On to the map, the layout is decent. Actually for a starter town it looks really good. One issue I have is that there is no path connecting the houses to the left with the rest of the map. A path would make it more town-y. The two red houses don't look as good as the blue ones. I think it's because they are lacking the windows and look too small by comparison. Again a connecting path would be nice. The pond is nice and uneven, which is good but having a two tile edge is weird and too restricting on the player while surfing. The trees to the left all seem random and unnecessary, as the player will never see them all.

Overall this map is decent but could do with a few minor changes.
Rating: 6/10

And here's my map:

View attachment 61514
Wow, this map looks pretty good. The tiles look really good and you use them very well. Kudos for that.

There isn't much to say about this. It is REALLY good for a starter town. Basic [like Pallet Town]but not too basic [like Littleroot]. The pond is very nice and the paths look great. I don't know how you'd go about fixing this town since there really isn't much wrong with it!

Rating: 9/10

[T]ouko

Dedicated Scripter!
Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2013
wow impressive i have to say the mountains in my opinion should have a little bit more natural to them but thats fine the house placement id great and not too squashed i really have to say Good map:) so i know you people like ratings 8.5/10
game?? for a friend
Spoiler:

It's weird to critique you xd

Rating : 9/10

Reason: I like it alot, the tiles too, it looks natural. The only thing that bothers me, is the shadow of the trees, at the bottom, looks like it's cut off, since it's a straight line, but on the sides it isn't a straight line. I hope you now what I mean. And that's because od the tile.

And I feel the PC is a bit out of place, it doesn't really fit in, in my opinion.

I like it alot, but I can't say it's a perfect 10:P

My Map, Route 1, Fire Red

Spoiler:

Now, this is my first map, go easy on me :P

The hardest part was in my opinion to make it look natural.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2014
my map
testing tiles
rom FR
game?? for a friend
Spoiler:

Map review:

The tiles are okay, well inserted with a nice set of palettes, but the water tiles' palette doesn't fit with the overall map; I think you should maybe darken the blue water a tad.

As for the map, I can't see any particular design to the map. The random displacement of the trees and mountain boulders, the overall shape of the map, and framework of the water is rather weak, to say the least. The displacement of the flowers is too arbitrary and unappealing. I also don't see the purpose of the mountain pieces just placed there; maybe they are a nice touch to maps in general, but I don't like them. The wild grass is only okay if the map is a route; otherwise no. From the looks of the PC there, I'm guessing the map is a somewhat checkpoint of some sort.

There are too much to consider when improving your map, so I will just throw at you a couple of suggestions of my own and you're free to either follow my somehow unreliable advice or just swear at me and move on.

Let us start with the most basic feature of all maps: the trees. In your map, there isn't that natural feeling lingering there; your trees are just randomly put. First, remove the single-placed trees all over the map. The map is outlined by trees, but is too square; try adding more than one layer of trees to thicken that outline and do not aim for just a straight set of trees. The mountain boulders should go - they don't have a real purpose just lying there. What I suggest is to either construct a separate mountain somewhere that doesn't obstruct the player's movements or just rid of it completely. The wild grass' displacement need to be more organized; you also have the issue of randomly placing stuff anywhere here. The water should be either moved to the sides of the map or just removed. As for the PC, maybe move it a little bit to the top-right or just right.

I hope you don't think I was too 'harsh' because that wasn't my aim. I hope you will consider my advice. I should probably give a rating now, but won't due to the incompleteness of the map.

Onto my map.

Comments
: This also is my first map, like ever. I took a while trying to spot any tile errors and perfect the tree shadowing, and I hope I didn't disappoint. I am aware of some empty spaces in the map and I intend to fill some, but I need your suggestions. The general feeling I was aiming for is a Nintendo-styled map, with little 'decorations' from myself. I know it isn't very well-made and maybe a little small for a route, but I tried, so I hope you consider that.

Some map explanations before you judge
: The map connection on the left of the map leads to a large lake that will only be accessible after obtaining the 6th badge and HM Surf. The upper connection leads to the second town and the lower one leads to your hometown.

Map name
: Route One

Map
:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Map review:

Onto my map.

Comments
: This also is my first map, like ever. I took a while trying to spot any tile errors and perfect the tree shadowing, and I hope I didn't disappoint. I am aware of some empty spaces in the map and I intend to fill some, but I need your suggestions. The general feeling I was aiming for is a Nintendo-styled map, with little 'decorations' from myself. I know it isn't very well-made and maybe a little small for a route, but I tried, so I hope you consider that.

: The map connection on the left of the map leads to a large lake that will only be accessible after obtaining the 6th badge and HM Surf. The upper connection leads to the second town and the lower one leads to your hometown.

Map name

Map
:
Spoiler:
Alright, first I'd like to say, there is nothing wrong with your map. It is flawless, and I could almost say perfect, in technique. However, it misses something. And that something is what I also always struggle with. Creativity.

Your map isn't square, it looks natural, you achieved your nintendo-like style, it isn't ugly. But it looks like you don't want to take risks, you don't dare to add in that little pond because it might ruin the map :P And this is what I say is creativity, the ability to play with maps in a way that makes them interesting. It's also very hard to learn, and it can only be learned with experience, very few mappers have it. I know I don't.

But seeing as this route serves as a connection route, it's fine. Connection routes that lead to lakes and towns shouldn't be all too special anyway, but I'd love to see something more special from you, as your technique and style is close to perfection :)

Ratingg: 9.5/10

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Map review:

The tiles are okay, well inserted with a nice set of palettes, but the water tiles' palette doesn't fit with the overall map; I think you should maybe darken the blue water a tad.

As for the map, I can't see any particular design to the map. The random displacement of the trees and mountain boulders, the overall shape of the map, and framework of the water is rather weak, to say the least. The displacement of the flowers is too arbitrary and unappealing. I also don't see the purpose of the mountain pieces just placed there; maybe they are a nice touch to maps in general, but I don't like them. The wild grass is only okay if the map is a route; otherwise no. From the looks of the PC there, I'm guessing the map is a somewhat checkpoint of some sort.

There are too much to consider when improving your map, so I will just throw at you a couple of suggestions of my own and you're free to either follow my somehow unreliable advice or just swear at me and move on.

Let us start with the most basic feature of all maps: the trees. In your map, there isn't that natural feeling lingering there; your trees are just randomly put. First, remove the single-placed trees all over the map. The map is outlined by trees, but is too square; try adding more than one layer of trees to thicken that outline and do not aim for just a straight set of trees. The mountain boulders should go - they don't have a real purpose just lying there. What I suggest is to either construct a separate mountain somewhere that doesn't obstruct the player's movements or just rid of it completely. The wild grass' displacement need to be more organized; you also have the issue of randomly placing stuff anywhere here. The water should be either moved to the sides of the map or just removed. As for the PC, maybe move it a little bit to the top-right or just right.

I hope you don't think I was too 'harsh' because that wasn't my aim. I hope you will consider my advice. I should probably give a rating now, but won't due to the incompleteness of the map.

Onto my map.

Comments

Map name

Map
:
Spoiler:

well i like this mao its a very basic and simple yet it works as a route 1 its easy simple and the grass placement is done well the flowers are also placed well overall this map has been donw well
crdits the usuals
its an autum town
Spoiler:

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
map unown
Base FR
game test
crdits the usuals
its an autum town
Spoiler:
Well besides the tile errors it's a cool map, but, i dislike the surface combination, the green is in the middle not on the left or right side.But as i said it's cool ^^

Now for my map
Name:asdf map
Rom Firered, Neti's Romabse
Credits:Neti and ofc Lu-Ho
Comments It's a bit empty guys.And WARNING A LARGE MAP IN THE SPOILER
Spoiler:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Now for my map

Wow... Really, COOL idea.

But seriously, the tiles look really good. Very winter-y. I personally like the use of the ice blocks for frozen water.

Bad things:
The stairs that connect horizontally look great on their own, but when put together the top one looks off, and probably needs a special tile.

On the right side of the map, it's a straight line for the shoreline. Maybe make a small island covered with trees jutting out.

The bridge needs some snow on it.

All in all, I've seen almost no winter routes/cities at all. It looks really good, and is pretty unique for a hack.

9/10.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Well besides the tile errors it's a cool map, but, i dislike the surface combination, the green is in the middle not on the left or right side.But as i said it's cool ^^

Now for my map
Spoiler:

Pfewww, that's a pretty amazing map you have there. Nicely planned out, and wonderful to go through :) But since you already know it's a great map, lets get nitpicky :P Part of the following is going to be criticism on your mapping style, sorry about that, it isn't meant to be insulting :P

Spoiler:

All in all, I'm being really horrible, and actually your style fits in perfectly and looks great. The playability is well, less, but still not horrible or bad at all. Just do know that the rugged snow mountain grass area, kind of conflicts with the straight path, straight trees town area, but seeing as you have a nice transition around 3. I guess this is irrelevant.

So, to basically conclude this. You can disregard a lot of the previous comments I made (except about the straight lake thing 2.), seeing as you have one amazing map here ;)

Rating: 9.5/10

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
well i like this mao its a very basic and simple yet it works as a route 1 its easy simple and the grass placement is done well the flowers are also placed well overall this map has been donw well
crdits the usuals
its an autum town
Spoiler:

First, it looks weird to see that only part of the map is not autumn, it would have looked better to have the entire map look autumnish, and it doesn't look like much of a city with 3 houses only, where is the PC/Mart/Gym etc.. Also, the path on the right looks like you didn't block edit the bottom of the path, and the path on the left really leads to nowhere, it serves no purpose there if it just leads to a dead end, Anyways, i like how the map looks (tiles are awesome btw) but it needs a lot of stuff to work on. 5/10

Map Name:route 2
ROM base: fire red
Comments: none

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2021
Map Name: Lax Yar Town

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: Newest Map! Rate ^^

Mapshot:

laxyartownzv6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.