• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Tutorials: Scripting (In HD Video Form!)

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
hacktutorialsscriptingcopy-1.jpg

For use with Pokescript, NOT XSE.

intro.jpg

Hello, everyone!
Many people (including myself) have made written tutorials that explain how to create scripts in a Pokémon hack game. I myself learned from one of these tutorials.
However, I have realized that some people are still incapable of learning how to script.
So then the idea came to me: I should make a video tutorial!
And so, I have.
Clearly such a topic as scripting cannot be explained by one simple video, and so I have created "lessons," or individual videos each explaining on aspect of scripting.
(They cover them quite well, if I do say so myself :))
Currently, I have 5 full length lessons made, and one short "follow-up" lesson to lesson 1.

followups.jpg

2right.jpg

3right.jpg

fourright.jpg

fiveright.jpg

sixright.jpg

7right.jpg

blank7.jpg

Just click the lesson you want to see!

More to come!

questions.jpg

Make any comments or questions you may have either here or on the youtube page for the respective video.
If you ask a question about a video here, please make it a bit easier on me by posting what lesson your question pertains to!

requests.jpg

If you have a request for a topic, please do so here!
Now taking requests for lesson 8!

dpmfa446.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Nice to see you back foullump this looks extremely helpful and the thread looks really well setup
I bet this will help some people but most people use XSE but Its good that you put up a tutorial that uses pokescript

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Even though I don't use PokéScript anymore, this would've helped me out a TON when I used to use it.
Great job on the tutorial, foullump.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2014
thanks follump i saw your youtube video a couple of weeks and it has really helped me to script. any chance of making a tutorial on how to combine a yes/no script and give pokemon. i undestand the basic scripts but dont understand how to combine them

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
thanks follump i saw your youtube video a couple of weeks and it has really helped me to script. any chance of making a tutorial on how to combine a yes/no script and give pokemon. i undestand the basic scripts but dont understand how to combine them

You just put one command after the other. It's pretty simple.

Anyways, foullump, great job on the videos and everything.
Although, most people use XSE, I'm sure those who still use Pokescript would gladly find this useful.
(b'')b

I'll definitely watch the new ones as you release them.

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years

Funny you should request that! That happens to be the lesson 2 & 3 follow-up that is coming soon! :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2014
thanks you've taught me how to script now. when will the next 2 lessons be release. going on holiday tomorrow unitil august

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2019
[REQUEST] after selecting the YES option of YES/NO your screen will turn black for a second and it will heal your pokemon and ofcourse with the heal sound like the old lady's rest stop

Last edited:
Years
Hiya Foullump. Your tutorials are the best i have found by the way. :D understood them all straight away and i have now started on my hack. Thanks for that. My reason for posting though! Is to request something. Now i asked this question in the Simple Questions forum and was told that it can only be done if you are an extremely good user of ASM/XSE.
Question is : How do i make it so that a pokemon will only evolve when leveled up at a certain location?? e.g Eevee evolves into Glaceon while leveled up at that Icy Rock place in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
I am going to hack Fire Red. :D
Thanks again for your tuts man :D

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
Hiya Foullump. Your tutorials are the best i have found by the way. :D understood them all straight away and i have now started on my hack. Thanks for that. My reason for posting though! Is to request something. Now i asked this question in the Simple Questions forum and was told that it can only be done if you are an extremely good user of ASM/XSE.
Question is : How do i make it so that a pokemon will only evolve when leveled up at a certain location?? e.g Eevee evolves into Glaceon while leveled up at that Icy Rock place in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
I am going to hack Fire Red. :D
Thanks again for your tuts man :D

That has to do with the game's mechanics, so that would involve ASM, so I really can't explain that, as I was always too lazy to learn that! :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2009
I did everything like you said on the first lesson but when i speak to the guy my game freezes , or a red screen appears .. what am I doing wrong? :/

This is the script I use :

#org $begin
lock
faceplayer
message $talk
$talk 1 = Hello.
boxset 6
release
end

the compile option doesn't appear so I just encode it in pokescript , is that the same as compile?

Last edited:

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
when are the next tutorials comming cant wait for them.
I've been doing some work on lesson 6, but I've had some distractions so I haven't gotten a lot of it done yet. :D Sorry!
I did everything like you said on the first lesson but when i speak to the guy my game freezes , or a red screen appears .. what am I doing wrong? :/

This is the script I use :
Spoiler:

the compile option doesn't appear so I just encode it in pokescript , is that the same as compile?

If the compile script doesn't show up you should try reinstalling it into C:\pokewitch and then afterwards install pkmnadv to C:\pokewitch.
If it still doesn't work, you need to click file, database on pokescript, then click on commands.psh in the pkmnadv folder. After that it will tell you that the database has been loaded and then you can encode your script.

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
My person says ÌÉ Á. What went wrong?

Here is my script:
Spoiler:

It does this on LeafGreen, and if the exact same script is imported to emerald, the same thing also happens.
As far as I can see, you are compiling it wrong
Never mind that. I found the problem. You put "$talk 1= Hi." You're supposed to put a space between them, like this: "$talk 1 = Hi."

Emosh

..iReign 24/7..
Years
You da man foullump, I subscribed to your channel yesterday if I remember correctly.. Nice tuts..

Back