• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Get Physical - The PC Fitness Club

Years
What I ate today:

2 small slices of toast (gluten free)
hamburger over some lettuce (no bun, but a sprinkle of parmesan and 2 cherry-tomatoes)
some nuts and raisins (1 handful)
packet of crisps (baked, wholemeal with oats.. hadn't had crisps in over 2 years lol..)
miso soup (made with organic brown miso-paste, not with a packet)
2 ryvita crackers with nutella and topped with some linseed for fibre
another peice of toast
and 1/3 a can of chickpeas with a tablespoon of salsa
and a carrot
and a small apple

I had also some dried banana chips (like 5), 2 chocolate-mini-eggs, and a yogurt covered brazil nut because I wanted something sweet.

.. Why am I so hungry still!!! :c..

Not enough meat. Unimpressed. AND WHY ARE YOU SAYING CRISPS YOU CANADIAN. Very unimpressed.

I put your food through my myfitnesspal account and it comes to just under 1300 calories. Given your metrics I did a quick BMR calculator and it comes to 1200. You did 2 hours of exercise, which I'll ballpark to around 400 calories (300 - 500 maybe?)

Given my calculations, you might be eating too little, which would explain the hunger. My nutrition estimate may be conservative, but it still places you around maintaining your BMR. The fact that you worked out 2 hours means that you should eat a little more to compensate for that. Your BMI is at 19.5, which to me speaks that your gains will be lower and slower no matter what you do. You've already achieved a lot, and as you approach your goals it'll be an uphill battle. I don't mean any discouragement though, it happens to everybody. I'm still at 23 and I just gained 2 pounds over the weekend (couldn't resist good Szechuan food gahh. Do they have good Szechuan in the UK?).

Now as for your nutrition, you seem to get a lot of your calories from fats - especially the nuts and raisins. Fibre can make you feel a bit more full and fatty foods, from my experience, don't have a lot of it. You could cut your handful of nuts and raisins with a bit of all-bran cereal. 72 grams of that stuff will get you all of the fibre you need in a day. To put this perspective, a 100 grams of cooked rice is about the size of your fist (okay maybe a bit bigger if you have small hands). And obviously you won't be getting all of your fibre from cereal. Since you're interested in building muscle, how about adding some low-fat yogurt into your diet? It'll come with a bit of protein, and you can mix your fruits with it to make a fruit salad. The sweetness of the fruit will take away some of the sour of the yogurt. You can also add all-bran to it for some crunch and fibre.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of miso soup (unless it's fresh I suppose and I probably have never had it fresh) cuz of its high sodium content. The salsa comes under this concern too (unless it's low sodium). You're exercising though, so you need your electrolytes and I guess eating more sodium than usual isn't as bad. But you need your potassium too - in greater amounts than sodium, actually - and I'd recommend a banana for that. Goes well with the fruit salad, too.

But yes if tl;dr, you could add a bit of protein and take a bit of fats from your diet. Fibre will help with hunger, but that might come with a bit of carb, which you don't need to say no to (at least not to large amounts). And you should eat more than your off-day because of exercise. It might slow down your gains, but you're nearing your peak, and at least you won't feel unnecessarily hungry anymore.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I agree with you that I could've had more meat that day, though I did get my protien through the nuts and chickpeas too (chickpeas being high in fibre.) But I probably should've gone out to get more eggs or something and had one of those too.

I disagree with you on the fact that I'm not eating enough though, as I said that I went to the gym the day before, and I ate more the day before to make up for it. I didn't do anything the day that I posted that food dairy but sit on my butt and washed dishes at one point, so seeing that my intake was more than my sedentary daily intake, I actually am ok that day. I know I was still having a bit of muscle afterburn, but this coming weekend I will be eating out more than once. I'm endomorphic and I gain weight very easily.

I agree with you that my fat-intake could be lower, but in all fairness, during the week day, my breakfast consists of greek yogurt (or a soya pudding.. both which have a fair amount of protein) over bran cereal (no milk.)

As I said earlier, the miso soup was made from organic miso-paste.. which pretty much contains mashed soybeans and no added salt. I didn't add any salt myself, either. The only thing I added was 1/4 of a sheet of seaweed paper for flavor.

What I sometimes do is take in 1000cals one day, the next I will take in 1500, the next 1200, 1300, 1000, etc. I will make it fluxuate so my body doesn't get too used to the same amount.

TL;DR, I agree with more protein, less carb/fat, thanks for the tip. I'll go out and grab some yogurt for my fridge to have on the weekends, too! I got some special K red berries the other day, too!

*nomming on banana as we speak* >:3

Edit: What I had today so far:

Unsweetened cheerios (the plain ones) with almond milk
A soya pudding
2 yogurt covered brazil nuts
a banana
hearty chicken soup
greek yogurt
Scrambled eggs with mushroom, chick peas, and topped with ham and flax seeds
5 cashews

Will probably grab some carrots in a bit here. Not sure yet what I will have for second-dinner.. ;_; I forgot to buy lettuce today!
So I might steam some broccoli and drizzle a bit of honey mustard over it :3

Haha I know they're fatty but I like my nuts >:3

Last edited:
Years
Anyways, I did an hour at the gym yesterday and another hour of pilates to strengthen my core and posture~ Was good .o. my butt hurts a bit today though!

Ahh, I see. XD (i don't read)

I meant the meat as a joke. HAHAHA. One of my friends doesn't like meat (eats little of it) for some reason, maybe it's a woman thing? But I love meat.

You can keep your nuts. I cut my nuts because I used to chew on them compulsively, until I got tired of their taste. ;:)

You also eat a lot better than I do. I've gotten 5 hours of sleep a night these past few days (LOTR EE bluray marathon + driver's ed in the day) so my cortisol is probably through the roof and my decision-making capability is at an all time low. Which would explain me ordering ungodly amounts of fried meat to munch on for lunch. I've reversed all the gains I've made in the past 2 weeks hahahahahaha.

I need a healthier lifestyle ):

Years
Hey everyone, looks like nutrition is becoming a dominant topic. So I thought I would throw education into the mix. These are the standards taught to children and teens in the US Education System. First we have the food pyramid (the 20-year standard) and then we have the food plate (est. 2011) which replaced this system.

6590236977_a17e8bc128_z.jpg

What are you thought about both of these? Are they accurate?

Also, what place, if at all, should nutrution play in the education system given the various inconsistencies among nutritionists i.e., no carb or high carb, no meat or paleo, or high fat or low fat.

Last edited:
Years
I think they're pretty accurate, with MyPlate being better because it places a neat emphasis on portion size. Apparently they're vetted by the agricultural industry overlords beforehand to include meat and dairy, but meat is delicious and milk is nutritious so it doesn't matter to me XD. It's a good idea because it focuses on intuition, which is realistic, and also balanced. I can see my own plain-jane diet to be roughly in those proportions, and the nutritional balance is also similar with 15/30/55 for the caloric ratio between protein, fats, and carbs. The pyramid just looks unwieldy in retrospect. I see these things as mass-education visual aids, and in that respect, they're doing their job in making nutrition more or less understandable. As for accuracy, close enough considering agricultural lobbying :P

I'm not sure where low/high carb, low/high fat, vegan, vegetarian or paleo should come in the mix for the education system. There's a lot of discussion to be done, and a lot of damage that could be done if they're covered superficially (and we all know we ain't got time to do otherwise). Vegetarian diets yes, because people should learn about how to cover their bases for nutrition without meat. The others require more inquiry, and should be taught at a more specialized level when those learning it have more background knowledge.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
This is a great idea for a club. I'd like to join! I'm actually a personal trainer, so fitness is a pretty big part of my life.

My summer fitness goal is to be able to squat at least 400. My maximum is 385, and I have been stuck there for a while.

My overall fitness goal is to compete in a triathlon.

My diet has been working well for me. On workout days, I eat 4 servings of complex carbohydrates, making sure I only eat low glycemic carbs, except after workouts, where it's better to eat higher-glycemic carbs. Along with the carbs, I eat 4-5 servings of protein.

On weekends, I scale down. I eat 3 servings of complex carbohydrates with 3-4 servings of protein.

Of course, I also make sure I get my fiber in.

Also, all of the food I eat is non-processed, but it's actually easier than you might think to eat this way. For example, I can eat pancakes and spaghetti as long as they are whole wheat.

Oh, and I always make sure to space out my meals by at least two hours.

Years
Today's workout: I went fencing again! I did some jump rope before practicing, and then a bit of bladework and footwork. Afterwards I sparred for my first time, and won 5-4! My coach let me take a foil home to practice, so very good day all in all. Logged 1 and a half hours of fencing + however more time practicing at home.

Also, I golfed yesterday. I'm starting to develop a bad habit of my hips trailing my arms, and tried really hard to shake it off. Thank goodness I pulled myself together for the last three swings to go straight forwards. I'm not biking as much as I used to after going to the bike shop and checking what's up. My bike is clearly not safe/ergonomic to ride, but I'm wary on slapping down $700-800 on a bike with drop bars.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I've been a bit sick lately.. and I also ate out a bit this weekend (made pizza at home and had a cupcake, then a burger for lunch on Saturday at a place with mini-donuts as a dessert, and a goat's cheese and veg salad with fougasse for dinner. An iced coffee with a hazelnut shot on sunday, and a stone-baked pizza for lunch.) Had other meals around those meals like for breakfast and etc but those were healthier meals, but I wanted to give all that a mention.

I went to Pilates for an hour on Sat though, did some walking on the weekend too, but doesn't balance out the eating...

Anyways, I took some advice here with the yogurt but I prob had too much today, this was my food for today:
Breakfast= Fruit and fibre cereal with a soy yogurt. 2 brazil nuts. Also a small glass 150mls or so of coconut-banana-pineapple smoothie (the innocent-smoothie brands that are not from concentrate.)
"Snack"= DIdn't really have time to snack today.. but I had a coffee.
Lunch= pea/lentil/bean and ham soup. 1 soda cracker. Handful of nuts.
Snack= Thinly spread Nutella over 2 ryvita sunflower seed crackers.
Early Dinner= Seared Ahi Tuna steak over lettuce/salad with a drizzle of teriyaki sauce.
Second Dinner= seed-fibre granola (small handful which would be about maybe 2-3 tbsp worth?) 5 fresh strawberries, another handful of nuts (2 tbsp) and about 2-3 heaped tbsp of greek yogurt (fat free.. the Fage Total 0% ones that have 10.5g of protien and only 4g of sugar (from carbs) per serving. Best ratio I have found on the supermarket shelf.
A green tea biscuit. 5 dried banana chips. 3 yogurt covered raisins.

Years
This is a great idea for a club. I'd like to join! I'm actually a personal trainer, so fitness is a pretty big part of my life.

My summer fitness goal is to be able to squat at least 400. My maximum is 385, and I have been stuck there for a while.

My overall fitness goal is to compete in a triathlon.

My diet has been working well for me. On workout days, I eat 4 servings of complex carbohydrates, making sure I only eat low glycemic carbs, except after workouts, where it's better to eat higher-glycemic carbs. Along with the carbs, I eat 4-5 servings of protein.

On weekends, I scale down. I eat 3 servings of complex carbohydrates with 3-4 servings of protein.

Of course, I also make sure I get my fiber in.

Also, all of the food I eat is non-processed, but it's actually easier than you might think to eat this way. For example, I can eat pancakes and spaghetti as long as they are whole wheat.

Oh, and I always make sure to space out my meals by at least two hours.

400 squats would be very impressive though I think you'd be better off increasing your load rather than repetitions, so grab a backpack and shove a bunch of water bottles or whatever and then try squatting.

Today's workout: I went fencing again! I did some jump rope before practicing, and then a bit of bladework and footwork. Afterwards I sparred for my first time, and won 5-4! My coach let me take a foil home to practice, so very good day all in all. Logged 1 and a half hours of fencing + however more time practicing at home.

Also, I golfed yesterday. I'm starting to develop a bad habit of my hips trailing my arms, and tried really hard to shake it off. Thank goodness I pulled myself together for the last three swings to go straight forwards. I'm not biking as much as I used to after going to the bike shop and checking what's up. My bike is clearly not safe/ergonomic to ride, but I'm wary on slapping down $700-800 on a bike with drop bars.

I'd like to fence against you someday, would be pretty fun.

Years
Spoiler:

Coffee is a performance enhancer which you might want to take before your workout. My friend once bought me a Caramel Macchiatto while I was at work. When I came home, I had the sudden urge to go to the track at a high school and ran 2.6 km on a whim, basically without losing breath. I ran all the way home and then ran around the block some more, and I still wasn't tired. 150mg caffeine and 40g of sugar means you're on overdrive for the next couple of hours. So there's that, if you're interested. Also, whats with you and yogurt covered stuff? :P

I'd like to fence against you someday, would be pretty fun.

I'd love to! I need the experience too. There's a tournament next Saturday but I decided not to go cuz I found out on such short notice and I don't want to spend money either. And I've got no gear.

Today's workout ... and update!:

15 minutes of bladework before breakfast and 30 minutes of footwork before lunch. I think I'm starting to get the hang of lunges, did probably 20 over the course of the day. Also 45 minutes of walking at 4.0 mph to and from school.

I've lost 4 pounds since coming back from China a month ago. Now that I've started fencing though, I don't know if I want to lose the other six cuz I'll be working on growing some massive thighs. My pushups will probably be pushed off to who knows when since my arms are getting sore with bladework and golf. My potbelly is gone in the morning now though, and that's good enough for me.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I've been craving yogurt stuff lately too!!!

Ok so for today
I did an hour and a half at the gym. Made sure to sweat while doing weight stuff (trx crunches, squat presses, side lunges, etc.) So doing interval areobic stuff too I guess you could say? The only cardio focused thing I did was the rower where I went full force for 2 minutes, and then stopped for a minute to let my heart catch up. Repeat 2 other times.

What I ate:

3 tbsp granola (seed/high fibre), 4 small strawberries, 50g of greek yogurt (that total 0% one)
coffee
soda cracker and 2 brazil nuts
Lunch was a Seared Ahi Tuna over a bed of lettuce with a drizzle of teriyaki sauce over.
greek yogurt again (the other 50g of the pot) some bran flakes, 3 strawberries.
Dinner was a hamburger (no bun) with a sliced tomato over lettuce, cheese, and also a drizzle of ceasar over the lettuce.
handful of nuts
2 yogurt covered raisins.

Should technically eat more today but I'm actually feeling quite full. Probably all the meat.
It's fine though because I will be eating out on Saturday this weekend, as well.

Years
Today's workout: I think my 15 minutes of bladework and 30 minutes of footwork is becoming a routine. I also tried doing new exercises to increase my arm speed, like practicing bladework to a metronome, doing 10 pushups as fast as I can, and thrusting a shampoo bottle that weighs 3x the foil back and forth. I also practiced lunging and it's starting to become instinct. I think I did 100 of those today.

Other than that I had to run some errands for a friend and ended up walking briskly some half hour, so my daily hour of activity is more than fulfilled.

Today's food:
Breakfast:
Large egg
Steamed chicken bun (90g)
Half a tangerine (30g), 3 strawberries (20g), and a small slice of peach (30g)
Half an avocado (50g)
1.3 cups of 1% milk
Golean Crunch cereal, Kashi (33g) <-- have any of you tried this? it's pretty high in protein but i don't know others' opinions

Lunch:
1.3 cups of 1% milk
Pasta (rotini (180g) with shrimp (50g), firm tofu (40g), carrots (70g), and gouda cheese (27g))

Mid-lecture Snack:
Double decker rye bread peanut butter sandwich (3 small slices with ~1.5 tbsp of peanut butter)

Dinner:
Mung bean soup (1/4 cup mung bean, 1/8 cup white rice)
Cooked napa cabbage (120g)
Cooked broccoli (90g)
Firm tofu (70g)

@Kura that tuna looks really really good. and teriyaki too? omi.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
400 squats would be very impressive though I think you'd be better off increasing your load rather than repetitions, so grab a backpack and shove a bunch of water bottles or whatever and then try squatting.

I didn't mean repetitions. I meant weight. Ha ha.

Last edited:
Years
Today's workout: Fencing class dragged on for two hours. I ended up fencing with these dudes wayy better than me. I found out that I'm really aggressive and have to stop myself walking into their blades. One of my opponents ended up breaking two foils on me, one of which was his own (sorry) and we took a whole chunk of it off, and the other was that of our instructor's and we broke off the little button at the end XD. But I still love lunging and going for the kill, so it may be some time before I stop walking into and breaking other people's blades.

Also, Toronto is currently under torrential rain that took out the traffic lights, so I had fun running in the rain and fending off the cold with body heat, so that's part of my workout too.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Went to the gym today for about an hour~ Also I signed up for spinning and pilates on Saturday (1 hour each) and it'll be my first time doing spinning so YAY.

I ate out a lot this weekend (celebration= my anniversary YAY) but now I'm getting back on track.

Dunno if I should update here about what I have eaten or if I should update the "What did you eat today" thread...

Anyways..
Less than half a Total 0% Yogurt (40g) where 100g has 50cals and 10g protien/ 4g sugar from carbs/ 0g everything else.
High fibre cereal (fruit and fibre)
Coffee with almond milk and one tsp sugar.
lunch I had a large egg with ham, cheese, and tomato omlette over a salad (no dressing.)
2 pieces of dark chocolate.
dinner I am having Total (full fat greek yogurt) same as the other brand but the full fat version.. had about 1/4-1/3 of the cup so maybe 35g?
10 grapes
2 handfuls of nuts with sultanas, linseeds, and sunflower seeds
also going to have an alpro soy-protien drink afterwards.

tbh I had some turkey in the fridge but I'm too tired to cook tonight.. it's already 8PM @_@

I don't remember everything I ate yesterday.

Some inspiration for you guys:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
2 whole hours of fencing today! I helped a buddy of mine out for this tournament tomorrow. It kinda sucks for him though, cuz he was mostly sparring with me, a lefty, so hopefully that won't throw off his game tomorrow. I also have two lovely new welts in addition to a healing scar (yes the foil drew blood underneath the jacket!) and a big fat bruise. In fact, I probably overexerted and got a migraine so I have to keep track of my nutrition and things.

Today's workout: July 16

Another 2 whole hours of fencing. Got my ass handed to me. Got another welt. I'm not very good with my parries, I use too much arm so I'll have to work on that. Also I don't get low enough, so I need to work on that too.

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I would like to join!

Username: Impo
Overall Fitness Goal: I would like to gain a muscle whatever that is
Summer Fitness Goal: Abs gosh I need those
Favorite Physical Activity: I love running! Especially with great music!

Today I walked to school and back and also went to the gym! It was chest and tri day, but I am actually the worst person with chest, can't lift anything.

I have my first timed half marathon in a months time!
I did one a couple of months ago (not an event, just ran 21.1km), and I got a time of 1 hour and 57 minutes, I'd like to see if I can get to 1 hour and 50 minutes!

Years
That was some really insightful advice in your second to last post, Kura. I've just been doing the push ups and bicycle crunches at home - though I do like 150 + of each. Sometimes at Karate I do similar workout exercises during the warm up so maybe I should do a similar thing at home too instead of focusing heavily on the push ups and bicycle crunches . . .

Years
So I fenced today (yesterday) like always, but something very special happened today (yesterday.)!

I ended up beating my sparring partner (yesh!!!) for the first time!

To be fair though, he won the first 2 bouts (I think the scores came up to 7-8 vs. 10), buuut I won the bonus round 5-3! He was longer than me, but I was more aggressive and it took a whole twenty minutes to put two and two together and realize my strategy was to cautiously advance on him. That way I close the distance while keeping my target well protected, and since I'm the more aggressive one, the trend is that he gets pushed down the piste. I think I kept it slightly within a step-distance and gave him lots of invitations just to mess with his mind and have him fall back on his instinct, which is to retreat. And then I feint towards his six (I'm lefty and he's a rightie) and strike him on the low line on his 8, and flick his exposed side.

POINT GET! He's a really good sport, really cool with my expression of triumph and all. We're actually really good with one another, win or lose, rain or shine, so it's a shame he's leaving Monday :'(

I feel like such win today. In the excitement I left my foil at the club, but I will be back Monday to pick it up :P

Back