• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] GFA's Traditional Art Gallery

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
So a lot of people here know that I sprite, but not a lot of people know that I draw. Fact of the matter is, I do. So here you guys go. Ta-da!!

Two Point Perspective Practice
Spoiler:

Self-Portrait from Oklahoma!
Spoiler:

Still Life in Pen and Brush Pen
Spoiler:

Detail from the Above Still-Life
Spoiler:

Sparrow Illustration
Spoiler:

"His LAZOR"
Spoiler:

Cherry Blossom Illustration
Spoiler:

"All Alone"
Spoiler:

"The Wedding"
Spoiler:

My Jolly Roger
Spoiler:

"Youth"
Spoiler:

Crow Illustration
Spoiler:

Sleeping Girl Illustration
Spoiler:

My FIRST Watercolor
Spoiler:

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
your drawings are very nice. i like how you incorporate different shading methods besides regular shading.

i would try to work on regular shading to add some more depth in a couple of them since some of them just look flat like lazor one.

my favorite is the sleeping girl one. i think the proportions and the different shading techniques make it interesting.

keep making more art(: love them.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
What do you mean by "regular shading"? ... Because that's not really a term. Do you mean pencil shading? If so, that's actually a bad thing. (But yes, Lazor drawing is totally flat. It's also very old. xD)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I am very much impressed by your two point perspective piece. The fact that you were able to get your lines down so well and make it believable is really outstanding. Personally though, I think I like the Sparrow piece the best. It may not have the level of detail that some of your other drawings do, but I feel like the level of emotion you captured is palpable. Also that Jolly Roger. :]

Your crosshatching is great too. It's makes for a really unique style in your drawings. It's pretty clear that you have some classical training in the artistic department! Have you taken classes or is art just a hobby for you?

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Haha, I really like that little sparrow too. Drawing birds is so much fun! And yes, I definitely have *some* "classical" training. I've taken summer and Saturday morning art classes at the Columbus College of Art and Design and I recently took a figure drawing class from a professor of art at American University. (Along with high school art classes and the like.) Hopefully I'll get some further instruction while at college.

thumbnail-600x-shrink.png

So here's something else. I thought it'd be fun to do a "Before and After" drawing. The one on the left is from January 2011 and the one on the right is from August 2013. I must say I'm pretty happy with myself. :)

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Well ... It's been over 24 hours, so bump! Here I have two different takes on an old OC of mine. Perhaps he'll see the light of day again in the future sometime. Who knows!?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Okay. So ... Back! Tried my hand at digital coloring for the first time recently. This was the result.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
this shows potential growth, I really liked Self-Portrait from Oklahoma!

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Ah, thank you, the both of you! Uhm ... Practice? I've also taken a few classes at art schools and in high school and the like.

Anyway, I did my school's freshman talent show poster. Ta-da.

Spoiler:

Didn't get in as many details as I want, but I was responsible for printing, and that costs money. So...

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Thanks the both of you! I have more!!

Here we have a snake done is pastel.
Spoiler:

And here we have a collage piece I did during a figure drawing class I took a while back. I thought I'd hate it, but I ended up really enjoying the minimalism.
Spoiler:

These next two drawings are from the same figure drawing class, but be warned they contain nudity. (Nothing explicit, but things are hinted at.)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I am seeing potential, here. Like early stages of serious development. I'm curious as to how you'll turn out in a few years. But as for the here and now, I'd agree with Alexial. My favorite pieces are both the perspective one, and the sparrow. I admit, I love myself a drawing of a real life bird such as a sparrow, as the source itself is naturally cute. Like hamsters. It reminds me of how Bill Watterson could really draw birds well when the situation warranted.

The before and after shows some nice progress, too. If you want, keep a log (doesn't have to be literal) of what you've done, maybe saving a few of your favorite pieces, and just keep revisiting them. Even in a year's time. If you've been keeping up with it, you should see some progress, and be able to see where your strengths lie.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Mmmm, thanks! That sparrow always gets lot of attention for whatever reason. And yeah, I'm kind of doing that now. Keeping a log, I mean. We'll see how that goes.

Also, I was able to take another figure drawing class, and presumably will every Tuesday now. So wee! Unfortunately getting back in to figure drawing moade was harder than I thought it'd be. But here we have one of the results. (Although the image quality isn't so hot.)

WARNING: Nudity. (Again.)

Spoiler:

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
*saddle on up* Oh, indeed it was. Anyway, I come bearing more figure drawings. A lot more.

Once again, warning for nudity.

Spoiler:

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
What's that? GFA art that's good for all ages? That's right! Step right up one and all! (Images spoiled for size here, nothing else.)

Here, we have the drawing "Panic!"

Spoiler:

And here we have "Punk Rock Space Buddha." This is poster I made for a friend. Drawn on 11x17 Bristol board. Colored with Prsimacolor Markers and touched up in Paint.net.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh wow, you've got some really potent imagery going on in your latest drawings. I'm curious, what inspired the drawing "Panic"? Because it's obviously very powerful and I'd like to know a little more about your state of mind while you were drawing it. If there is anything to say on the matter, that it. Sometimes you don't need to be sad to draw a sad drawing. But if there was something that inspired Panic than I'd like to know! :)

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Well, to be honest, it was two things. The first was listening to a lot of "Panic! at the Disco" after seeing them live--which is the superficial reason. The second was me being in a funk about being in a long distance relationship at the start of college. I just didn't know if it was going to be right for me or not.

Back