• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There was a discussion on NeoGAF about possible console-exclusive characters. I was against the whole idea at first, but a poster then talked about Sakurai possibly seperating clones into different consoles (for example, Toon Link in Wii U and Young Link in 3DS, or Ike in Wii U and Chrom in 3DS). Different characters, same movesets. That really piqued my interest somehow. What do you guys think about console-exclusive characters (and console exclusivity in general)? Yay or nay?

Where's the source of Sakurai saying that? I wasn't able to find it on Smashboards regarding said source. As for the Toon Link example, Wouldn't it make sense to use "Link Between Worlds" Link for the 3DS rather than Young Link, seeing as that Link uses the same sound clips as Toon Link from the game?

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Where's the source of Sakurai saying that? I wasn't able to find it on Smashboards regarding said source. As for the Toon Link example, Wouldn't it make sense to use "Link Between Worlds" Link for the 3DS rather than Young Link, seeing as that Link uses the same sound clips as Toon Link from the game?

I'm just sparking discussion about console exclusivity.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
Mega-Man made it, so that's good! I hope Sonic returns(and another char from Sonic franchise.)
But, he can't add 3rd party characters galore, because the game is meant for Nintendo characters and Nintendo fans. Speaking of Nintendo, Pokemon Trainer 2 maybe? Please? PT was an interesting idea, I want to see it happen again, but in a new way, like maybe the XY starters.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Titles of the game have been revealed by Sakurai.

Since Nintendo's broadcast earlier this week, many have wondered what names would be assigned to the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash Bros. With Melee and Brawl subtitles already used, would the new games keep the fighting spirit? Scuffle? Skirmish? In this case, series creator Masahiro Sakurai is thinking in simpler terms - the two games are called Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Kind of simple, but now we know.

Stay tuned to more from my conversation with Masahiro Sakurai as soon as I can possibly type it.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-final-names-revealed

Well those are pretty straightforward. Not too creative at all.I rather have them be called "Super Smash Bros. Universe". :/ C'mon Sakurai you could of done better.

Last edited:

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years

NO TRIPPING! :D

Well hey, they may not be creative, but they're definitely original.

Super Smash Bros. (for) Wii U
Super Smash Bros. (four) Wii U ;)

I was hoping for Kerfuffle, but alas.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
No tripping is seriously the best news lol.

Now let it have hitstun and tone down the defensive options from Brawl and you got yourself a good game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I've got into argument with one of my friends from Skype, who is anti-Ridley and believes in the "too big" reason, and no matter how much I counterargued his claims using some of the points Ridley supporters used to counteragrue the "too big" excuse, he's still not convinced. This is what he wrote for us Ridley supporters on why we're fighting for a lost cause:
Spoiler:

Are all of our cries for Ridley in Smash Bros. in vain?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I don't buy this "too big" argument. Sakurai NEVER said Ridley was too big, all he said was that he'd be hard to make a moveset for and be balanced.

Ridley has appeared several times to be comparable to Samus's size without looking awkward.
Super_Metroid_boxart.jpg

Metroid01--article_image.jpg

SamusvsRidley.jpg

Sakurai adds whoever the hell he wants to add regardless of size or whatever. There's no point in arguing how character X won't be in because Y reasons. We just got Villager (a character that he shot down during Brawl), Mega Man (a character Capcom's been ignoring for the past gen) and Wii Fit Trainer (a character NOBODY expected). This whole idiotic roster analysis thing needs to stop.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The news still keeps on coming. According to Sakurai, SSB4 will not have a SSE as an Adventure Mode: http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/06...he-adventure-modes-story-in-super-smash-bros/

From a technical standpoint, this is perhaps a very good idea. SSE, along with other game modes he added, took up most of the GB, which is around 5, in Brawl's dual-layer disc, which is limited to 8GB. The roster only took up about 2GB, so now those extra spaces can be used to increase the roster size for the 3DS version, which holds the same amount of GB as a Wii disc.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Yay! I hated the SSE. Some of the stages that came out of it were pretty fun (I play them in multiplayer using a stage pack hack), but the transitional stages? Guh. Like playing modern Kirby with bad physics

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds

According to page 2 of this article, no one in the roster has been cut yet, and since Sakurai has previously expressed his distaste in character cuts and wanting to include as many characters as possible to the roster, he'll try to axe as little veterans as possible, which means if any veteran character didn't make it in SSB4, it wasn't due to replacement scrappys like how people mistake Lucario as a Mewtwo replacement, but because of time constraint.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
WHAT?! NO MORE SSE?!
Boo! I loved that thing(besides the Great Maze level...that was tedious to go through).
Hopefully they'll have a new mode of play that makes up for this.
(I wonder if Score Battle is back...)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Alright, time to make my roster prediction, which will have two versions depending if any circumstances have been fulfilled in the future.

Here's the first version of the roster (if all 35 Brawl characters were to come back):

1st row - Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch
2nd row - Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Ridley, Metaknight, Falco, Pokemon Trainer, Roy, Snake
3rd row - Peach, King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Pit, King Dedede, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Ike, Sonic
4th row - Bowser, Wario, Toon Link, Palutena, Villager, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, Ness, Mega Man
5th row - Yoshi, Little Mac, Olimar, Ice Climbers, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., Lucario, Lucas, Random Button

Here's the second version of the roster (With Toon Link presumably disconfirmed, and assuming Snake and Sonic are one-time deals only):

1st row - Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch
2nd row - Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Ridley, Metaknight, Falco, Pokemon Trainer, Roy, R.O.B.
3rd row - Peach, Dixie Kong, Ganondorf, Pit, King Dedede, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Ike, Wii Fit Trainer
4th row - Bowser, King K. Rool, ALBW Link, Palutena, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, Ness, Mega Man
5th row - Yoshi, Wario, Olimar, Little Mac, Villager, Mach Rider, Lucario, Lucas, Random Button

Both rosters include 44 characters on the slots, and including transformations adds up to 48 chracters in total. I have to include the random button, depsite wasting a slot for another misc. character, since it's being included in recent fighting games, which brings me this question to discuss: Does the Random Button need to come back for SSB4?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Well I'm glad that Olimar wasn't replaced by Alph or the other new captains, but notice how he was revealed when Pikmin 3 was soon to be released in Japan. It could mean we'll be getting a character based on a new Nintendo title coming to Japan each month. Here I'll be listing out the games in the next following months of 2013:

August - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Can't be Luigi, because he's traditionally a hidden character)
September - Wonderful 101 (The Red Hero may be our next newcomer)
October - Pokemon X & Y (Possibly Pokemon Trainer, since Mewtwo was a hidden character before)
November - Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze (Either Diddy Kong or Dixie Kong)
December - Super Mario 3D World (Peach, since Sakurai seems to have a limit of having each series having up to 3 reps for the starter roster)

Back