• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Anyone real advanced at this hacking stuff? See what I did done is, you know how in the Japanese HGSS you can only select 5 lettered names? Well I need someone who's advanced at hacking to extend that to 8 letters.

All that really has to be done is to find the Platinum code and copy and paste that code over the HGSS one. However, I have no idea how I would go about doing this.

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Anyone real advanced at this hacking stuff? See what I did done is, you know how in the Japanese HGSS you can only select 5 lettered names? Well I need someone who's advanced at hacking to extend that to 8 letters.

All that really has to be done is to find the Platinum code and copy and paste that code over the HGSS one. However, I have no idea how I would go about doing this.

Sorry, but no. You can't just "copy and paste" from Platinum or something. If the name can have up to 5 letters, it's pretty safe to say the memory area reserved for the player's name can use only up to 5 spaces, and what's next is sure used for other stuff.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Actually the 5-char thing is just an entry restriction placed on the Japanese games (not sure about the Korean ones). Save files are language-independent and they always have room for 10 chars.

It would still take an assembly hack though; whether it's an "easy" one or not you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who knows assembly to implement it.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Actually the 5-char thing is just an entry restriction placed on the Japanese games (not sure about the Korean ones). Save files are language-independent and they always have room for 10 chars.

It would still take an assembly hack though; whether it's an "easy" one or not you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who knows assembly to implement it.

Save files are language-independent, indeed. Still, I have no idea where that 10 come from. The player's name can have up to 7 chars plus the terminator and, being stored in a custom UTF-16 encoding, the whole name area takes a total of 16 bytes. Nonetheless, the player's name should be stored into some temporary place before it's actually written to the save. And there could be not enough room allocated there. Those are my two cents.

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years

What "code" are you talking about exactly?

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Oh, I was looking at pokemon names. You're right, trainer names can only be 7.

PokeBal33

Learning how to hack..
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2009
I dont think we will be able to hack it for a while we havent even been able to hack dp that well yet
ya me either. I think most people will stick to hacking the GBA roms. When there are better tools for HGSS then maybe it will get popular.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2015
Yeah you could probably modify the amount of characters aloud in a game. I know for a fact because with pokesav you can make the name more than 5 letters so it's just a restriction in entering names.

Zephi

He who cannot learn.
Years
Ah.. haven't been on PC in awhile. Anyway, on-topic: the list.txt for HGSS on PokeTEX doesn't seem to be working for me. Probably my fault, and it's been a long time since I used it. I moved my pl_list out of the folder, put the one from the first page in there, loaded up SS, and... nothing. I little down the list I managed to come across Charizard's OV, albeit messed up. Where'd I mess this up?

mindfreak

Belgium Rom hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Ah.. haven't been on PC in awhile. Anyway, on-topic: the list.txt for HGSS on PokeTEX doesn't seem to be working for me. Probably my fault, and it's been a long time since I used it. I moved my pl_list out of the folder, put the one from the first page in there, loaded up SS, and... nothing. I little down the list I managed to come across Charizard's OV, albeit messed up. Where'd I mess this up?

Hmm, did you use a clean or a patched rom?
Try HG (unpatched) thats where I found the offsets.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
I haven't ever looked into making tahaxan plugins, maybe I should... On the plus side I doubt it would've saved me more than a few minutes since I batch renamed the narcs anyway.

I've identified all narcs that are identical to those found in (japanese) Platinum and made a list below. I also added some things that I have found along with a few items from this thread. NARCs that remain unchanged from platinum are indicated with a *. Note that just because a platinum narc is in the /a/ directory does not mean it is actually used. For instance D-Trogh noticed that the pokemon icons were in 2/2/8, but the new ones are actually in 0/1/8.

/a/0/
Code:
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-growtbl*
        4-pokemon battle sprites
        5-
        6-trainer backsprites
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-script
        3-scr_msg*
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-item icons
        9-
        0-pokemon icons
        1-
        2-wechar*
        3-wepltt*
        4-wecell*
        5-wecellanim*
        6-imageclip*
        7-message file
        8-underg_radar*
        9-
        0-
        1-namein*
        2-
        3-
        4-evo*
        5-fontoam*
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-pst_gra*
        0-bm_field*
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-ugeffect_obj_graphic*
        6-start screen graphics
        7-
        8-ug_trap*
        9-
        0-ug_fossil*
        1-ntag_gra*
        2-tradelist*
        3-ug_parts*
        4-opening*
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-ug_anim*
        3-weather_sys*
        4-
        5-
        6-nuts_data*
        7-
        8-
        9-pokefoot*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-oekaki*
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-fld_comact*
        4-
        5-
        6-contest_data*
        7-
        8-wifip2pmatch*
        9-demo_trade*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-field_cutin*
        4-demo_climax*
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
/a/1/
Code:
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-vs_demo_gra*
        5-pokezukan*
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-pokeanm*
        2-
        3-
        4-alt form sprites
        5-egg_data*
        6-egg_demo_particle*
        7-
        8-
        9-shinka_demo_particle*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-wifi_earth*
        4-ranking*
        5-ppark*
        6-
        7-
        8-btdtr*
        9-btdpm*
        0-
        1-
        2-poke_yofs*
        3-
        4-
        5-poke_shadow*
        6-
        7-poke_shadow_ofx*
        8-
        9-fldtanime*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-bm_room*
        9-
        0-area graphics
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-d_test*
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-pl_cb_data*
        6-wifi_unionobj*
        7-guru2*
        8-frontier_particle*
        9-bucket*
        0-codein_gra*
        1-
        2-worldtimer*
        3-manene*
        4-dp_height*
        5-dp_height_o*
        6-lobby_news*
        7-email_gra*
        8-wlmngm_tool*
        9-balloon_gra*
/a/2/
Code:
        0-wflby_map*
        1-wifi_lobby*
        2-pl_btdtr*
        3-pl_btdpm*
        4-pl_bsdpm*
        5-
        6-pokelist_particle*
        7-wifi_lobby_other*
        8-footprint_board*
        9-zukan_enc_platinum*
        0-ballslow_data*
        1-pl_etc_particle*
        2-pms_aikotoba*
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-poke_icon*
        9-kowaza*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-intro graphics
        3-
Thanx for the locations. now all i need 2 know is how to open the file with the new trainer back sprites. Is their a program that can??

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2015
We cann't see the things at the YouThbe in China...
Who can help us?
oh....I am so sorry that I cann't speak English well....

Last edited:
Years
  • SV
  • Seen Oct 30, 2014
Hey Everybody
Why don't modify the Game Text (the place where we put player's names, rival's name)? Could we put English font on the boxes? If Anyone knows put, talk to me and teach me! I don't like the letters in Japanese!
On the site of Spriters Resource have many pictures of the boxes!

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Hey Everybody
Why don't modify the Game Text (the place where we put player's names, rival's name)? Could we put English font on the boxes? If Anyone knows put, talk to me and teach me! I don't like the letters in Japanese!
On the site of Spriters Resource have many pictures of the boxes!
Doing that would require an assembly hack, so it's unlikely that it will happen.

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
Years
To be honest, even if we could hack 4th generation games as well as we can hack 3rd generation games, I wouldn't switch over. I'm perfectly happy with my 2D graphics.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
There is a certain advantage when it comes to making/editing 2D over 3D. Even if it were as easy as ploping a map model into Maya, etc just learning how to operate a 3D editor seems to be quite complicated.

I wasn't around for the golden age of GBA hacking though, and I have no desire to backtrack.

Last edited:

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
Sorry if I'm not able to put questions here.. But I really want an answer.

I know we can edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS already, but how good? Here are my questions:

1) Are we already able to edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS as good as in DPP?

2) If I'm going to edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS now, can I use the edited .narc file for the English HG / SS Roms (when they are released)? Or do I have to edit every Trainers' Pokémon again then?

3) (Only answer this question when you've answered YES to question 1) I was trying to edit the Trainers' Pokémon, but it looked much more messed up, with every Trainers' SECOND Pokémon being at level 1 or something. Eh, it just looked messed up. Or was I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
What i realy want is a mapping tool, maybe like in the tool is shows everything 2d and then in the emulator or whatever would be 3d... i dunno! If only we had the stuff nintendo used to make the games :( IM GOING ON STIKE!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back