• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Platform Discussion

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So guys, how do you feel about the games being... DS games?

Also, feel free to discuss how the 3DS can possibly enhance features, or things you'd like to see enhanced by the 3DS.

Last edited:

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
Well, it's highly unlikely the third game will be on Wii, considering how all the main Pokemon games were on handhelds... XD;

That said, I can honestly see it either for the DS alone or a version for both DS and 3DS (kinda like with the first PMD games). Then again, they could always make it just for the 3DS so they can get more buyers. But! if they make it for the DS too they will still be able to attract those who only own a DS/DSi.

Anyways, I guess on the 3DS they'd probably make it as 3D as Rumble Blast. Dunno how to describe it, but yeah. Idk how they'd do the video chat feature, and maybe for some cutscenes they could really utilize the 3D by making a Pokemon or something swoop in from stage left or right!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Not many DSi only games (as in, very very few especially if you discount DSi ware =p) and would make zero sense to exclude people who only have a DS but not the DSi people. As said, a non-handheld console is not happening; Game Freak develops only for the handhelds and have said on multiple occasions they don't plan to do anything on the Wii/etc either.

That leaves the DS and 3DS. The former is clearly being phased out with barely any games now made for it, much less ones that would be major sellers. So hence the 3DS is imo what it will be (and we know they got their hands on the dev kits for the 3DS nice and early too). Don't see why it wouldn't after all.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
They will not use 3D models. I read somewhere that they were sticking with the sprites. It was in an interview or something.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I wouldn't mind it if it was on DS or 3DS, if it's on DS then I won't have to upgrade to a 3DS, but if it's on 3DS then I'll finally have an excuse to get a 3DS. I'm more on the 3DS side here since Crystal was on Colour but Gold and Silver were on the normal Gameboy.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Well i think it will be for 3DS or maybe that the remakes is for DS/DSI and then that the new generation will be for 3DS. They have almost always changed the platform after the third game.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Well, my question is, how will the online wi-fi aspect work between the DS and 3DS games if the third game is made only for 3DS?

And I hope they do both DS and 3DS.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Personally, I think the third game will be for the regular DS systems because if it was on the 3DS, then anyone who doesn't have one won't be able to play it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Game Freak would have to be staffed by a group of lunatics to want to continue using sprite graphics in their next game - and I don't think that's the case at all.

Sprites are costly and time-consuming to draw. Every time you want to add more animations to a sprite-based game, you have to multiply your workload by the amount of new animations you want - and that will very quickly add up to an unmanageable task.

We have roughly 650 Pokémon. That means they already need to draw 1,300 new sprites to fit the 3DS's screen for front and back angles. If they want to improve the quality of animations, they need to draw animations for all of those Pokémon facing in both directions.

A lot of sprites in Black and White are modified or based on older sprites from Gev IV games - already Game Freak is having to make compromises just to achieve BW's simple level of animation.

No RPG game on the planet has fully-animated battle sequences, with sprites, and has the amount of unique playable characters Pokemon has.

Conversely, a 3D model graphic can be displayed from any angle, and can perform any animation without needing further work on the artists part. It makes their job hundreds of times easier and allows them to move the camera around in battles - performing zooms, sweeps and pans and changing the angle of the battle screen in a way that's impossible with 2D sprites.

Sprites are holding back the quality of the games in several ways that also effect gameplay

To top it all off, every Pokémon already has a 3D model made for the Wii games and Pokédex 3D. Most of their work has already been done for them.

Personally, I think the third game will be for the regular DS systems because if it was on the 3DS, then anyone who doesn't have one won't be able to play it.

When people really like a certain game, they tend to pay for things if it means they get to play their favourite game.

Making the same game for both the DS and 3DS is out of the option.

Firstly, it defeats the object of inciting people to buy the new 3DS by offering them something that makes them content to stick with their old DS.

Secondly, it means that Game Freak have two choices about making a game - either create two very different games, one that resembles how BW currently looks on the DS and one that takes full advantage of the 3DS's capabilities, or they can make both games that look and play almost identically to one another - look at Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue and (a very relevant example) Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns for DS and 3DS.

If they go with the first option, suddenly they have to spend a lot more money and more staff to create two games at once that only share basic similarities. This isn't very good because they probably don't have that many people to manage to create two games at once and still remain at the standard of quality we've seen from Pokémon games in the past. If they take the second option - congratulations. You've got a DS game just like the one you bought last year, and a 3DS game that feels cheap and nowhere near the same level as games that were designed soley for the 3DS.

Do you really want them to make a handicapped game that lives up to none of the potential of the 3DS, just so you can still play it on your 7 years old DS?

Last edited:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I've said this before. But, now that we have a new thread, I'll put the idea. What I think they should do is make it for the DS, but make it "3DS enhanced." When you play it on the 3DS, it would have more bonus features, and perhaps even access to more Pokemon. This would be similar to how Pokemon Yellow had enhanced graphics for GameBoy Color, but it was fully compatible with the regular GameBoy for those who didn't yet have a GameBoy Color. If they make Gray "3DS enhanced," it will appeal to both those who already got a 3DS, and those who only have a DS. Personally, I'll have a 3DS in probably a couple weeks, but I know how it is to not be able to afford the new system.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I've said this before. But, now that we have a new thread, I'll put the idea. What I think they should do is make it for the DS, but make it "3DS enhanced." When you play it on the 3DS, it would have more bonus features, and perhaps even access to more Pokemon. This would be similar to how Pokemon Yellow had enhanced graphics for GameBoy Color, but it was fully compatible with the regular GameBoy for those who didn't yet have a GameBoy Color. If they make Gray "3DS enhanced," it will appeal to both those who already got a 3DS, and those who only have a DS. Personally, I'll have a 3DS in probably a couple weeks, but I know how it is to not be able to afford the new system.

I was thinking the same before but now I know it doesn't make sense.
Difference between DS and 3DS is huge comparing to one between GB and GBC.
DS and 3DS have similar designs but they are completely "two different worlds" in case of programming. Grey and R/S remakes must be decided to be made only for one console - DS or 3DS because they are very different systems.
Adding "3DS enhanced" elements into DS game would require reprogramming the whole game into 3DS system. And that doesn't seem likely they would put that much effort just to add some "3DS enhanced" details.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I think they may have two versions of the game, but fear that it's going to be 3DS only. I really hope that they're going to end up putting it on the DS so that I can actually play it. I just don't see the appeal in the 3DS enough to get it, and even though I know they're going to cut making games for the DS eventually, I don't really see why. I don't really have that strong of a fear about it not being put on the DS. It seems weird that they would consider not having it on the DS since they've never switched to a new platform at the middle of a generation. They usually save that for every other generation.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It seems weird that they would consider not having it on the DS since they've never switched to a new platform at the middle of a generation. They usually save that for every other generation.

Why should this mean there's a pattern set in stone? They've been releasing games every couple of years for a long time, and that just happened to coincide with how often Nintendo's been releasing new systems - until now. The DS was around for just enough time that BW could be developed and released a few months before the 3DS came to market. Now that the 3DS is out, Game Freak have no obligation to continue developing for DS - they didn't waste any time taking the work they had done on "Pocket Monsters 2" and recreating it for the Game Boy Colour release of Gold and Silver.

Crystal was designed to be exclusively playable on Game Boy Colour. Isn't that enough evidence that they're more than willing to cut support for an older family of consoles, if there's a benefit to be gained from the new technology?

It's time to move on, because Nintendo sure has.

I've said this before. But, now that we have a new thread, I'll put the idea. What I think they should do is make it for the DS, but make it "3DS enhanced."

This is impossible. It's been nearly two years since the 3DS was first announced, and Nintendo have never once said that DS games can be '3DS enhanced'.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think it'll be for the 3ds too. They will hopefully use 3d sprites, they can even use the 3d pokedex unova models or edit's of them to cut roughly 1/5 of the work. Plus it'll bring something new to the third version.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Why should this mean there's a pattern set in stone? They've been releasing games every couple of years for a long time, and that just happened to coincide with how often Nintendo's been releasing new systems - until now.
Please don't overanalyze the things I say (as I didn't mean what you thought I meant). I carefully chose my words in that post. I said it seems weird; I didn't say anything was set in stone.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I'm simply saying there's no reason to be think it at all strange that they don't want to make games for outdated systems because they've always behaved this way.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2012
I had always thought that they were considering making the third game for the 3DS for it's Streetpass and Spotpass functionality. That way the C-Gear would integrate with the handheld much better than it currently does.

But if they are porting it, it would take some time to enhance it for the console, not necessarily for the 3D, which isn't hard to add, but for the alternate resolution.

But again, this is merely speculation.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I saw something about Crystal and Gold Silver...While the Gameboy and Gameboy Color existed similarly how the DS and DSi exist, Crystal could not be played on normal gameboys while Gold and Silver could be played on the Gameboy Pocket and in Black and White even though it was compatible with Colored sprites.

So YES, Crystal WAS made for a DIFFERENT System in the Middle of the Second Generation. The fact that it could not be played on an older system (Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket). It was, and to this day is the only Pokemon game made for a different system than its predecessors. While this hasn't been done after the fact isn't mearly a coincidence. Since the Gameboy Color, the Advance Generation of the Gameboy (Advance and SP) were merely the same system with different features, none of the working mechanics were really changed. Same is said for the DS and DSi series. Same systems with different features.

They can very well repeat Crystal's compatibility issue with any new game IF Gamefreak or the company that will take charge of the new game, OR if Nintendo makes them do so.

Back