• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Champions League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
That would be rather odd to say the least there regarding Cynthia and Cyrus keeping each other company lol, I'd imagine they would go their own separate ways there seeing how they were on opposing sides back when Team Galactic was running amuck lol. Maybe Cynthia was forced to stay in the Distortion World after Giratina was caught or something along those lines and you try to find a way to bring her back post-game. Just another brain fart though lol.

Regarding her team I think she should have had a Houndoom to replace that Roserade back in Platinum but besides from that and some improved movesets like Togekiss having Roost, Thunder Wave, Nasty Plot, and Air Slash to annoy the piss out of you I can't think of much to add when modifying her team seeing how she's already tougher than a rhino's ass lol.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Yeah, food for thought. Maybe Giratina just kidnapped her and you have to save her after beating the Elite Four. I'm getting crazy ideas... How can a Pokemon kidnap her? Haha...

Roserade should have had Toxic Spikes. That would seriously suck. Houndoom might make her easier since its weaknesses are similar to Lucario's, being Fighting and Ground. But her Togekiss would be so much better with those moves. Thunder Wave is just a staple for an annoyer, along with Confuse Ray or something. Her Milotic might have fared better with Toxic over Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse just looks random on her Milotic.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Well it is Giratina we're talking about here so such actions are to be expected from such a monster haha.

Didn't think about that there tbh but yeah that does sound like a good idea for Roserade to have Toxic Spikes and maybe Leaf Storm too for an unexpected punch haha. Milotic would be passable with Surf/Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Recover, and either Toxic or Mirror Coat for its moveset. Not sure on what to make of Spiritomb's moveset atm though.

Didn't notice the weaknesses that Houndoom and Lucario shared either sadly, I would suggest replacing Lucario with Houndoom in that case but despite my minor dislike for Lucario overall I can't deny how effective it is in battle lol. Especially a set along the lines of Swords Dance, Close Combat, Extremespeed, and either Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch, or Ice Punch as its last move lol.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Oh god, Swords Dance Lucario for Cynthia? True, it has a funny moveset considering it has Shadow Ball and Earthquake on the same set. They should just make it a Physical Attacker and yeah, Swords Dance would make it extremely deadly.

Spiritomb is fine as is. It's just annoying as hell and does its job of not dying pretty well. And no one can deny that her Garchomp gives the biggest troubles of all time in an in-game battle. That monster took down half my team when I first battled her xP

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
They could also slap on a Choice Band for Lucario and have it learn Ice Punch instead of Swords Dance but I prefer facing the SD version instead in all honesty. Her Garchomp could have a Choice Band or Life Orb though haha.

Regarding Garchomp, that thing makes me cringe just thinking about it. I recall facing it with a Hippowdon roughly around level 67 back in Diamond and I nearly got OHKO by a non critical Dragon Rush, that literally made me sweat due to how hard that hit even something as bulky as a Hippowdon of all things. Thank god I never sent up my Salamence or Empoleon against it ugh.

Only kind of moveset I can think for Spiritomb is Swagger, Psych Up, Sucker Punch, and either Shadow Sneak, Embargo, or Taunt but yeah it's fine being left alone for the most part anyways.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
They don't slap on too many items on in-game trainers... I think they should though. It would make it a lot harder for sure. Garchomp with a Life Orb is an even worse nightmare, considering that she could totally use that as an excuse to chuck some Full Restores at it. God, that's some good preparation for the Battle Frontier!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I do recall Cheren using held items quite liberally back in B&W but yeah all of those additions to Cynthia's team excluding the Braviary and Elektross she had in Undella Town would be something straight out of hell in every conceivable way lol.

But I figure if you can manage that kind of battle without using any items such as Full Restores then you're more than ready for the Frontier haha.

For levels though I can imagine her team being all level 85 with her Garchomp being level 87. Truly a battle meant for Champions no lol.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Eh, Cheren doesn't count, even though I kind of liked him. I really wish trainers would level up with you, like Cynthia would keep getting her levels raised until she reached 90 or something. That's what you call a real battle. Definitely Champion-worthy!

I think it would be awesome if your player character officially became Champion after winning and then you could accept battles from random trainers, like rematching Gym Battles in HGSS.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
All this talk about modifications is starting to make the idea of a Platinum hack that much more intriguing lol. Provided I had any hacking skills atm haha.

His use of held items is a refreshing change of pace from the Sitrus Berries Cynthia and Gary use on their strongest Poke all the time if you ask me lol. That and my Umbreon has a heyday with Cheren's team due to knowing Thief and stealing rather rare items like the Leftovers and Focus Sash for me lol.

I think Nintendo wanted to make Red the highest leveled trainer in the game due to his Pikachu being level 88 I believe but yeah the idea of trainers getting stronger after each battle like with the Hoenn Gym Leaders in Emerald and Barry in Platinum is definitely something to look forward to again lol. I wonder how the random trainer challenge is going to work out though tbh.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Platinum had a lot of potential, really. I think the game mechanics made it interesting with the Special/Physical switch and Cynthia just made it all the more awesome.

I think the random trainer thing can work like the Battle Frontier. I mean they're pretty random anyway, so just random trainers can battle you. Maybe they won't be perfect IV'd and all, but I think that would be a wonderful change of pace. And having the highest leveled Pokemon as a Pikachu is kinda embarrassing. Even if it's high leveled, one Earthquake takes it down D:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Oh yeah Platinum was great just due to how much more fleshed out of a overall game it was when compared to Diamond and Pearl, tbh it's actually one of my favorite games in the series now haha.

Actually I can see that now too to an extent, seeing random trainers progress to gym after gym and at some point you would hear from them again as they would request to see you at the Pokemon League but what I'm wondering is what will happen if they end up winning against you, would you demand a rematch to reclaim your title right there on the spot or would you go through the Elite 4 gauntlet again to make it back to the person who took your title. And regarding the champion you defeated to gain your title in the first place I take it they would be isolated in a dungeon like how Steven was in Emerald but they could still be challenged again except their team would be higher leveled that time around. But yeah it is a pretty interesting concept overall lol.

And agreed on Red's Pikachu. My Tyranitar at level 65 survived an Iron Tail and OHKO'ed with Earthquake lol.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
If they win against you... well, I suppose they'd be Champions and you'd just beat them all over again. Or maybe it could, again, like the Battle Frontier where you can keep track of how many trainers you defeated as your were Champion. Interesting way to look at it, and maybe you could see how other Champions fare, like if you check it on Wi-Fi on global chart, or just in-game trainers, like Cynthia reined for 800 battles or something.

I love the idea of the dungeon Champion thing. Steven was hard to get to, just as much as Red, and their battle was so fun. It'd be kinda funny if Champions roamed around like roaming Pokemon and the TV would keep track and you could just stalk them and battle them. Or just a dungeon. Either way, re-battling Champions when they're better sounds a lot better. I wish other people recognized you more, though. There are a few people in the trainers' club and other places, but most people just repeat the dialogue and aren't head-over-heels to you like they are for other Champions. Eh, that's really trivial xD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Another thing I can see working there just as long as we don't have to re-do the Gyms again seeing as we would already have the badges required but we could rematch the Gym Leaders for fun I suppose lol.

What if they traveled from dungeon to dungeon like with Steven going from Meteor Falls to the Sky Pillar to the Dark Cave to the Shoal Cave and etc for example lol. Same with Lance except he would be traveling between regions in that case like from Cerulean Cave to the Whirl Islands to the Dark Cave and etc as well haha.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
A wild goose chase! That sounds really fun, actually. I would totally battle a Champion just for the joy of traveling in every little place in the region and then moving on to the next place. Lance would be a pain to find, though haha. I always hated going from Johto to Kanto for some reason, but I'm guessing Red would stay in the same place since he's too cool to move around and travel.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Ugh it would still be easier than trying to get Blue's number in HG/SS for the rematch, that's probably the main reason why I hate him nowadays anyways lol.

And they should have let you use Fly between regions too besides from the one area in the Pokemon League lol.

And even though Alder is rather weak for a champion as stated before I can imagine him revisiting places like the Celestial Tower, Relic Castle, Dragonspiral Tower, Undella Bay, and maybe somewhere like the Giant Chasm or the Black City/White Forest but despite all that I do remember seeing him at the top of the Celestial Tower at one point in the game where he mentions his former companion and flies off after some dialog. Rather interesting but I still would have appreciated a rematch there or at the very least for him to tell me to meet him in somewhere like the Relic Castle or Dragonspiral Tower for the rematch lol.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
dragon tamers FTW!!

[SIZE="a"]Name: Jack

Friend: Lance

Partner: Dragonite

Reason for joining group:
1. I respect battling the champions of the game.. I love that feeling of determination you get when battling somebody with so much to throw at you and not a great deal of trainers do that in the games..
2. Lance is my favorite partially because I love dragon types
3. Lance is by far the cooler looking guy (I'm looking at you alder with your poncho and I'm shaking my head)[/SIZE]

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Hey, welcome jacktheninjadude! Hope you enjoy your stay at our wonderful club!

And yeah, Alder left me wanting more. He seems like an outdoors person so he would just go about anywhere. He's stupid for not battling me at Celestial Tower. I wish they revamped him or made him more interesting... He had a lot of influence on you, but as a character, I didn't like him.

Ha, getting Blue's number is ridiculous. I'd rather try to find a Chansey in the Safari Zone. I still think he's pretty cool as a Gym Leader, except he doesn't even use a starter Pokemon, which would have made his team cooler in a way.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
[SIZE="a"]Well we all gathered in the plot that alder lost a pokemon.. (don't know what it was) and he now isn't as strong as he used to be..

We first encounter him at charizard bridge.. He shows cheren up after asking what he wants to do with his life.. But when you go to celestial tower and he his dialogue makes him seem sad.. I think that's like a message to all pokemon trainers.. Sure you can be strong.. But there's more to the game than that..

Still I think alder has some silly pokemon.. A fire/fighting can take out half his team (off the top of my head)[/SIZE]

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Alder disappointed me with his team. Fire murders his team, even if most of his Pokemon are actually kinda cool. The same with Rock, and that leaves Dragon for his Druddigon and some fighting move for that afro Pokemon haha.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
SO MUCH STAIRS

[SIZE="a"]Yeah it's a shame really because the game really bigs him up.. I mean.. Why would I climb ALL THOSE STAIRS to battle alder?[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back