• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What I'm Working On

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Am I the only one who, whenever someone mentioned Pokémon XD, reads it as "ahaa!" in their head?

It's probably possible to have unbalanced double battles, although I suspect many scripts would need to be changed to allow for the missing Pokémon (knowing exactly what you've got to work with, 2 Pokémon per side, makes setting up the battles so much easier). It also seems rather unfair. It's not something I'd really look into unless I've got nothing else to do.

But it does give the player a challenge, but I suspect it is only going to be useful for the first 3 minutes of the game until someone catches a pokemon, unless they have the option to send out one pokemon.

Also I want to try to work on a tic-tac-toe game when I have the time.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
There are parts of my story that involve a double battle. I wanted it to be able to happen regardless of whether the Player has at least two Pokemon or not, as it is a story-related battle. I would've made a thread asking about it, but I figured there may be other people that would want it that way.

Incidentally, I have started called Pokemon XD just "Pokemon: Gale Of Darkness" in some places for the very reason you explained, Maruno.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
For the first time ever, I've actually managed to test roaming Pokémon! The addition of a couple of debug options (see the locations of all roamers, make roamers roam) helped with that. I haven't tested the actual encounters yet, though, just the roaming.

I've also figured out how to make cracking ice tiles (the ones you fall through after stepping on them twice) using nothing but an event. See the attached picture.

Also I want to try to work on a tic-tac-toe game when I have the time.
Make sure to add some artificial stupidity to the AI. If it plays perfectly, it can never lose (and it's easy to play perfectly at Noughts & Crosses), which defeats the point of it being a game.

I prefer to make games where there's no AI involved; it's just you versus the rules.

Speaking of tile games, there are several to choose from. A tile-placing game (like the Ruins of Alph puzzles mentioned above), a 15 puzzle, a shuffling puzzle (same as a 15 puzzle but with all 16 tiles, and you swap two adjacent tiles around), and so on. Any of these would be fun to have.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
There's something that occured to me recently.

You know how a trainer is required to have two Pokémon to participate in a double battle? In Pokemon Colosseum and XD, there is no such limitation. Would it be possible to allow 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 1 battles in essentials? I think that's a feature that should be available.
In my game, with a huge effort, I managed to do 1 vs 2 battles if the player had at least one faint pokémon.

Am I the only one who, whenever someone mentioned Pokémon XD, reads it as "ahaa!" in their head?
I believe that this title name had chosen by this reason (plus Lugia being the pokémon X).

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I just thought about another thing.

It makes an exception when you try to start a single battle with a registered partner. Wouldn't it be better to either exclude to partner trainer and have it come back when the battles over or something? There's a part of my game where you have a registered partner that you can walk with, and I think if would be better to have him automatically excluded in single trainer battles.

Normally, this wouldn't be an issue as I have created borders where the partner would leave you automatically or not let you leave, but I'm concerned about the player possible exploiting it by blacking out or something.

Maruno

Years
I'll have a look into that.

Does anyone know what the Round Charm (a Key Item from B2W2) technically does? I know it "increases the likelihood of getting eggs", but by how much? Also, can anyone find the item description for it?

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
Years
Not sure if I am reading wrong but I believe (From what I'v read) that the likely hood is increased by 33% unless I am mistaken for the shiny Charm. BUT! I just read Marrilands review on the item and it only increases the Amount of time at which your pokemon will breed at. So I would say its about 25% increase.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Does anyone know what the Round Charm (a Key Item from B2W2) technically does? I know it "increases the likelihood of getting eggs", but by how much? Also, can anyone find the item description for it?

Well i dont know how much it rises the chance to get eggs but i have the descriptions... ^^
in the english copy i have it says:
Oval Charm
"An oval charm said to increase the chance of Eggs being found at the Day Care."

here are some more new key items:
Permit
"A permit needed to enter the Nature Preserve. Only a few know about this place."

Shiny Charm
"A shiny charm said to increase the chance of finding a Shiny Pokemon."

hope i could help... :)

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
So it's called the Oval Charm, eh? Makes sense.

Failing any actual information about its effect, I have decided to make it halve the chance of NOT finding an egg each cycle (256 steps). That is, it goes from [0,20,50,70] to [0,60,75,85]. I'll change it once I find out what it actually does.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
If you need some more info from the games just tell me... ^^

Maruno

Years
I've finally finished going through the wiki and updating its articles to reflect v10. I've also written a guide: "How to upgrade your game".

I've never done this myself, but I've covered everything I can think of. Is there any part of it that needs improving or adding?

There's another guide called "How to use Essentials", but it's not been made yet. It will include basic information such as how/when to make backups, how to record what you've done (so you can upgrade more easily), and so on.

I should say that these guides can be edited by anyone. They're not mine, they belong to everyone, and anyone can edit them if they want to. Indeed, I'd prefer it if you guys and girls wrote them, because I have no experience of actually making a game.

Are there any other guides you'd like to see?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
You made some changes to the text for Time-sensitive events too I noticed. Just yesterday, I was reading that article to run a test, and the the original text under time delay said something about used events that don't have time left not refreshing until the player reenters the map, which doesn't seem to be the case any more.

I'm going to skim through the ability effects and move effects pages later to see if there's anything else I can contribute soon, skimming over it quickly right now, It looks like most things in those categories are done or almost done.

Maruno

Years
It still says that (the first paragraph), and it's still the case - I just reworded the article a bit.

I'm not currently working on any move/item/ability effects. The pages you mentioned are certainly still a bit inaccurate, and the effects require researching to make sure they work properly both by themselves and with each other, and that they are indeed the correct effects. If you find any discrepancies, please edit the pages accordingly.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
It still says that (the first paragraph), and it's still the case - I just reworded the article a bit.

Strangely, I'm using two time sensitive events in a map - They appear as a Jigglypuff before you check them, and a Wigglytuff after. I set the event time to 30 seconds. If you talk to one, it will turn back to Jigglypuff after the time is elapsed. If however you talk to both of them, then what you claimed happens and neither of them will change back until the map reloads.

Maruno

Years
Well, I haven't actually checked how they work. You can refresh the map and get the events to update that way, although it's not normally done.

Does anyone know where I can upload a txt file, and be able to get a link specifically to that file? That is, I don't want to use pastebin or anything, because there's extra code on their pages. I'm looking into the Mystery Gift, and I want to test it - the gift is a string of text in a txt file, and I want to be able to download solely that file. The nearest I could think of was uploading the file to the wiki, but Wikia doesn't allow txt files.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Well, I haven't actually checked how they work. You can refresh the map and get the events to update that way, although it's not normally done.

Does anyone know where I can upload a txt file, and be able to get a link specifically to that file? That is, I don't want to use pastebin or anything, because there's extra code on their pages. I'm looking into the Mystery Gift, and I want to test it - the gift is a string of text in a txt file, and I want to be able to download solely that file. The nearest I could think of was uploading the file to the wiki, but Wikia doesn't allow txt files.

I think you can use dropbox for that.

Maruno

Years
I'm having a go with Dropbox, but I can't find any way to make a file public. That means Essentials can't connect to it, so it's useless.

I've tried accessing a different file (http://api.hostip.info/rough.php?position=true), which works, so it's not a problem with pbDownloadToString.

Any suggestions?

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
A friend of mine suggested Google Docs, but I have no clue if that will work. It's worth a shot I suppose. I'll amend this post, or reply, when I get another place of test.
Alternatively, Pastebin does have a Raw Plain text option, so that could work maybe. But I have no clue if your issue is with Pastebin overall, or what.
Another one of my friends also suggested using his File Uploader, which he knows for sure can do straight up plain text, and he says Essentials should be able to read it, though we haven't testes for sure yet. Disregard, I just tested this. Didn't seem to work.

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I'm having a go with Dropbox, but I can't find any way to make a file public. That means Essentials can't connect to it, so it's useless.

I've tried accessing a different file (http://api.hostip.info/rough.php?position=true), which works, so it's not a problem with pbDownloadToString.

Any suggestions?

Downloading files with Essentials is quite bothersome. From what I've experienced you need to have a direct URL to the file, so something like "www.yoursite.com/directory/file.txt". There are several free file hosts out there, I use Nazuka, since it has no adds, has unlimited storage, and is just simple to use. I found no other alternative which worked efficiently enough. Then again, it's a hassle setting up your account, if all you're going to use it for is just testing.

Last edited:
Back