• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime vs Games

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
If you would choose between the pokémon anime or the pokémon games, what would you choose? In other words: which do you like best? Do you really play the games much, or do you prefer watching the anime?

Skybro

Pure Epicness.
Years
It depends.
When the Pokemon anime came out,it was cool.
But after Diamond and Pearl in the anime ended,it got a little...bland.
So right now,I prefer the games.
But years ago,I preferred the anime.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
The anime's great, and I'm a huge fan of it. Unfortunately, though, it could start getting a little boring after watching two - three episodes of it in a row. Plus, I don't really have time nowadays to keep up with it. I know that I can watch episodes at any time on their official website, but they always don't upload ones that are latest. As for the games, that's different. Unlike the anime, I could play them for hours and not get bored—even a little. So, for now, I'd have to say that I like the games better. ^^"

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I prefer the games over the anime. In the games, you can make your own team, with Pokemon of your own liking. In the anime, you have to put up with Ash and his Pokemon.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
This is not an easy choice... I've spent more time playing the games but I only play through a game once every few months, whereas I watch an episode or two of the anime almost every day. I guess my choice would be the anime. Unlike the games, with a new game being released once or twice a year, the anime has a new dub every Saturday (except right now, between BW and XY). I've also been really interested with how the anime changes every now and then.

Wobbuffet in the anime > Wobbuffet in the games.

Sirfetch’d

This is an easy choice for me! I'd definitely pick the games. In my opinion, the games are the highlight of the entire franchise because they give you the closest experience to actually being a Pokemon trainer and isn't that what we are all after? ;) Sure the anime is astounding, but after a while just sitting and watching episode after episode will eventually get boring. The games never seem to get old and offer a new fresh experience each and every time!

Years
While it was originally the anime (and the TCG) that hooked me on the franchise, it's mostly the games that I'm attached to at this point.

To be quite honest, I could probably count on one hand how many episodes of Pokemon I've watched since TPCi took over the dub (not that those two things are related- I stopped watching just prior to that). As for the games though, I've pretty up to date with them over the past few years, and I'd be much more disappointed about missing out on a new game than a new season of the Pokemon anime.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
The games hands down. They're just simply more immersive, not to mention in comparison to the terrible anime, they come out on top.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I was pretty big on the Anime, but as I grew up, I began to hate Ash's personality so much. So I tend to rely on the games a lot. The games show a lot more information and show so much plot, rather than the anime. The anime tends to show very little about said location or characters.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
It's not a question about anime being lame. X&Y anime is particularly interesting and >>> B/W anime. But games. They're so interesting as they engage you through your own journey and let you make your own choices. In my opinion that's better than seeing someone else do them, because you'd think, 'If I were him, I would/wouldn't have done that.' or variations. At times you'd disagree with the protagonist's (here, Ash's) views but you won't question yourself. No matter how sugar-coated the games are, the anime will always seem to be very limiting. The games also come in variety, and there's a lot of games to choose from, three starters to play your game three times with. An endless journey if you catch my drift. Finally, the game allows you to journey with Pokémon. Though the character may not look like you, it is essentially you who's controlling him. You get to bond with Pokémon, to understand and battle with them. The anime is like watching a third person.

Years
Both the anime and the games have their disadvantages, such as being able to dodge in battles at the trainer's commands, whereas in the games, dodging is completely random. But I'm going to have to go with the games, really. The games are what set the franchise up, and the anime is only derived from the games. The games are also more detailed and whatnot, such as methods when it comes to training and breeding, unlike the anime, where we cannot tell which level a Pokémon is, and etc..

Years
I love both but in different ways. The games are great for collecting my favorite cute monsters and killing time but the anime is fun to watch for comedy and to see all the Pokemon I love animated.

So I probably can't pick, though if forced, I'd say the games win by a small margin.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
The games. Imo the games are what make the anime so popular for people of all ages. If the games didn't exist then I believe mostly younger kids would watch the anime instead of the wide spectrum of fans that do. I love both, but the games are my favorite.

Years
The games. I find the Pokemon anime series to be lacking and bland lately \: They just aren't the same as they used to be.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I prefer the games, I play them much longer than I watch the anime.
If the anime was more like Pokemon Origins then, it might be a different story haha...

Back