• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The return of an old favourite

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
We've discussed many things here such as past features and past characters but not the actual creature that represents Pokemon. No not about if it will be in the pokedex but rather it'll forgo the Pikachu clones and take on its previous role of mascot of all things Pokemon. In the initial trailer we noticed Pikachu using thunderbolt to connect the world together and that makes me think back to Unova, where Pikachu was barely heard of but only seem in statues. Then in previous games where the whole Pikachu thing wasn't really that big since Kanto where it had a game dedicated to it even. Keep in mind that the statues and a bulletin board of it appeared in Unova despite a Pikachu clone existing, and it was weird how it had no major role nor was really big in representing the games or anything. Given that Pikachu's in the trailer it hints to the fact that they're using Pikachu to familiarize people with the change/new generation - something that hasn't been done before. Given we've seen five generations of Pokemon fans go by it comes to mind that older ones may still be interested and GF would ofc want to hook them in. It could be the case that the Pikachu worshipping in Unova was purely because of the fact that four generations previous to the games just passed by and thus they needed something to keep them hooked, however it just seemed out of place to have Pikachu stuff in a region of just Unova mons for the most part. Now after so many years have passed it could be prime time to bring Pikachu back as the major mascot of the games.

So to summarize what I'm asking here is do you think Pikachu could play a greater role in the representation of the games both inside and outside (not including anime) and instead of going for the clone they choose the real thing and make Pikachu something essential in the games? Would you like to see Pikachu reappear as something important and do you think the above theory is logical in that by using Pikachu to zap the world it could mean it could have a greater role overall and become more of a mascot to even those ingame rather than worshipping it without any real recognition? Could Pikachu become THE Pokemon once again? Discuss.

Lunar Crescent

I choose you pikachu!
Years
I think it will become more important, they really left it out and no one even knew about Pikachu but in the statues and such in Unova, that really sucked to be honest.
I hope it really becomes essential to the games and that Pikachu would '' combine '' them somehow together as seen in the trailer where it Zaps, i hope this will happen.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Pikachu never stopped being the IT Pokémon of the games, regardless of its absence in Gen V. Why else would they have incorporated it into Unova even if it wasn't native or available to be caught in the region? Pikachu was and always will be the staple of the franchise even if it doesn't play a major role in the games ─ which is why it was on top of the Eiffel Tower shocking the world; it's the face of Pokémon.

Besides, Pikachu has never really had much of a big importance other than in Pokémon Yellow and the anime. Other than that, it's always been treated as your average Pokémon.

Based on the trailer, Pikachu will likely be found once again in the wild. I don't think it's going to have much purpose in the games or its storyline though. Meanwhile, we're still more than likely going to get another Pikachu clone represented for the region. There usually always is.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, being a "face" of pokemon, Pikachu is going to be as popular as it can get anyway. Maybe Pikachu can sort of encourage cameos like pokemon trainer Red, or maybe some easter egg references from the Pokemon Yellow Version, but.. there's not much else, imo.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think it may reappear based on the footage they showed in which the player ran into a Pikachu. I'm guessing Unova was just special in that it lacked the mascot but had the original unlike Hoenn which had Pika but lacked Clefairy.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
What I do think would probably happen... is that Pikachu would indeed be some mascot in some way in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, but probably wouldn't be anything major in the games other than appearing as icons or something while connecting globally for battles or something like that. And who knows? We might see Pichu in there as well.

Other than icons and possibly finding Pikachu in the wild, I don't think Pikachu would indeed be having some major role in the games other than possibly being with trainers or presenting something as icons in Nintendo Network connections.

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
I believe it will have a greater role in the game, but if they want me to use it, Its just gonna either sit in my box or be an HM slave. I'm sorry, but pikachu has craphat stats for defense. But knowing gamefreak, it might have more relevance, but it wont be a major part of the story.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Pikachu never stopped being the IT Pokémon of the games, regardless of its absence in Gen V. Why else would they have incorporated it into Unova even if it wasn't native or available to be caught in the region? Pikachu was and always will be the staple of the franchise even if it doesn't play a major role in the games ─ which is why it was on top of the Eiffel Tower shocking the world; it's the face of Pokémon.

Still, that's never happened before, that it's been used in that way when the games are announced. Pikachu could represent connecting the world and thus be the way we all connect (some sort of worldwide Pikachu trading event GF authorises...?)

But with all that's been said it still comes to mind that Pikachu will be something more than it's been before due to the way X/Y were announced. Maybe it's even considered legendary here.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I think people are overthinking things, like the announcement. Pikachu isn't going to be any more important in the games than it's ever been post-Yellow.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think people are overthinking things, like the announcement. Pikachu isn't going to be any more important in the games than it's ever been post-Yellow.
This.
Pikachu will proably be like any other pokemon. Besides the electricity was a metaphorical connecting of the world representing how it's a world wide release, nothing much more than that.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
On the trailer, I saw a scene of a wild Pikachu appearing, so I think you can catch him in the wild...yeah. I think Gen 6 will not have many new PKMNs, just like johto. The only new PKMNs we know right now is Fennekin, Chespin and Froakie. So I think some PKMN of all the regions will be catchable in the tall grass.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Completely agree. Pikachu is still just that, pikachu. The reason he wasn't in Unova is because Unova's actually pretty distant from the other regions (we all should know that) and including him in promotional stuff would have made no sense considering Unova was supposed to be a brand new adventure that was meant to feel fresh by including 156 new pokemon with absolutely no old ones. Let's look at the X & Y trailer again...we also see Patrats, Psyducks, Audinos, etc along with Pikachu. It's nothing lol

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
I think that they may make Pikachu usable by improving even more the light ball, perhaps it will boost now another stat.
It is weird that a game has a weak character as the face of the game. I think it would be good if they made Pikachu usable by improving even further the effects of the light ball.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Still, that's never happened before, that it's been used in that way when the games are announced. Pikachu could represent connecting the world and thus be the way we all connect (some sort of worldwide Pikachu trading event GF authorises...?)

But with all that's been said it still comes to mind that Pikachu will be something more than it's been before due to the way X/Y were announced. Maybe it's even considered legendary here.
It's as how MRAS described it; Using Pikachu's electricity around the globe was more of a metaphorical meaning than a literal one. I doubt Pikachu will have any importance in the games, much less being considered a legendary.

A special Pikachu Wi-Fi event is never out of the question though. That could always happen within reason I'm sure.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Well we had him on the tower, appearing as a wild (probably an event with him) but that's really it, hopefully he has a bigger effect on this game xD

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
Besides, Pikachu has never really had much of a big importance other than in Pokémon Yellow and the anime. Other than that, it's always been treated as your average Pokémon.

Well I feel that just the fact that Pikachu got Pokemon Yellow automatically makes it something a bit more than an average Pokemon. 'Average' is something Pikachu probably won't ever be.
I, personally really hope it does make a comeback and become more prominent in X and Y. Pikachu really is a great Pokemon.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Well I feel that just the fact that Pikachu got Pokemon Yellow automatically makes it something a bit more than an average Pokemon. 'Average' is something Pikachu probably won't ever be.
I, personally really hope it does make a comeback and become more prominent in X and Y. Pikachu really is a great Pokemon.
Pikachu is definitely something special to the franchise, there's no argument there. In the games, however, Pikachu is no more special than your average Meowth. The only thing that makes it stand out is because it's basically the "face" of Pokémon. I don't expect X and Y to change that and make Pikachu any more prominent than it has been since the days of Yellow.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Does anybody even still care about Pikachu? All of Pikachu's personal fans aside, I feel like the Pokemon is little more than a figurehead. Like, even Game Freak and the Pokemon Company can't be arsed anymore. They may as well go with the swing of things and make Eevee the new face of Pokemon. Pikachu seems like a Pokemon they just use because it's been that way for years, now.

I'm honestly hard pressed to find anybody who has a whole lot of zeal for the Pokemon today in a very broad, all encompasing sense in the way that is was even back in the 3rd generation. Even nostalgics who only recognize the first generation only put higher emphasis on the starters and Rattata (no complaints from me on Ratatta recognition :P). Again, the exception being those who are literal fans of Pikachu, which is fine.

(For the record, I still like Pikachu. Not as much as several other Pokemon, but, y'know.)

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Because of older gens, Pikachu would ALWAYS be the true mascot of the games. However, it's not needed for the lil' rodent to have a big role in more recent games. It might be considered to be overused and cliche. The games are good right now and there's no apparently need to add a Pikachu into the storyline.

Back