• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
The famous line of the silent protagonist! What would you do if you one day woke up, incapable of speaking like so many of our beloved heroes?? How would you deal with this new difficulty in losing verbal communication? How would you feel?

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Oh, the silent protagonist. They're always so cute~

Struggle with it and then eventually come to terms with it, I guess? Learn sign language? I imagine I'd be depressed for some time after my condition arose, but I'd eventually make peace with my fate and do my best to go on.

At least now people won't have to hear me making snappy comments about them, lol.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Jeez, I'm not quite sure, to be honest! Having to restructure my entire way of living would be a huge pain and I'm not sure if I'd be able to cope with the change, at least not right away. That's not to say I would try regardless, and it would just take a long time. Learning sign language is not something I'd be looking forward to, that's for sure. x_x

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Either learn Sign Language or bring around my tablet and try communicating with that. Sure I'd be upset about it, but I'd carry on eventually.

Years
I'd just write whatever I wanted to say down a piece of paper. I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of having to learn another language.

When I was younger, after I was removed from my mother's care I was mute for weeks.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I'd probably carry a notepad around with me and write what I needed to say, in addition to sign language, since not everyone knows sign language. Then I'd be part of the research teams that find ways to turn thought into speech.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Well I would deal with it. I could write things down to talk to people and/or learn sign language. I think being deaf would be harder.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I already know sign language because my cousin can't speak, so it's easier for me to adapt to this disability.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I've never been in the position where I haven't been able to speak, so I don't know how I would go about adjusting to that.

Obviously, text will become my source of communication so I would write everything out.

I will also be delighted, because being able to not say anything is just wonderful. Except not really. Obviously I would be really upset.

Years
I remember having laryngitis for a week back in 8th grade, and even though I've always been quiet, it was awful not being able to speak. If I went completely mute, though, I don't know if I would bother with sign language, as it seems quite difficult to learn (and those who I was "talking" with would need to learn it, too). Overall I think I'd try to communicate mostly with simple gestures, and maybe written words if I needed to.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I'd probably become extremely depressed, and might kill myself. If I managed to get through that, I'd probably write everything I need to say on a piece of paper. And text a lot more. ;-)

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'd just shut myself up in my house and talk to people online :P. I think I'd be too self-conscious being mute out there in the world. Like, hearing and seeing but not being able to interact... it'd be devastating.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
I would type everything I want to say on a tablet or something. I type faster than I write, so.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
It would be different, surely, not being able to speak, but I think that I could cope with it after the initial shock. I could just write everything or learn to sign like most people said. Then again...it might be a bit difficult to get people's attention that way, so...

I think I might devise this communication system based entirely around flailing wildly at people. It would be revolutionary.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I.....it's actually pretty hard for me to imagine myself being mute. On one hand, I think it'd be fairly easy, but on the other hand, I socialize with quite a few people(mainly at work), so no longer doing that would be kind of a pain and a struggle, though I'd have to get over that eventually.

I'll go the route that most other members have already posted in this thread and I might possibly learn sign language, but I prefer writing down what I want to say.

Years
I don't think I can cope being silent, since I'm bad at socializing.

Also, learning sign language can take ages for me!

Back