• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What about the Pokemon fan base annoys you?

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
Wait, we can't discuss the reasons behind people's opinions? Even if those opinions become extremely insulting?

So, this is basically a "whine and bi- moan" thread? Well, that's extremely childish.

Not as childish as having an argument over a game that has a target audience towards children, or pretty much just arguing about how much you hate each other in general.

Anyways, I don't really like seeing threads go to total hell, especially here, since it'll remind me too much of /vp/, but by all means, you guys can go ahead and argue, but I'll just watch.
Try not to get your artery on my popcorn.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
Touche.

I didn't mean to be mean by it I'm just saying that threads are about discussion. If you don't discuss it's just pointless complaining and I get enough of that already.

And I don't really foresee the possibility of these discussions getting out of control. This is a pretty peaceful forum.

Check out any Gen 5 section here that talks about the Pokemon designs and you'll see what I mean.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
@Coolcatkim22

It doesn't matter if you only like 2 games of the franchise, you still count as a fan. However, I think it's reasonable to think that someone who likes more of the franchise is a "bigger" fan than someone who only likes 2 of them. They still both are fans of it, the only difference being that one of them is a bigger geek than the other.

@Killjoy

Hey, I took offense to that mocking of my quote, but that wasn't the reason I responded, I just wanted to get him to calm down a little. Of course, responding probably fueled the fire, but I felt that I should've at least said what I think.
Anyways, I agree, it is a good thread, and I believe that addressing the problems is the best way to fix them. Maybe those who read this might start paying attention to their own behavior, and we'll be able to have a more unified community.
PEACE MAN.

Gawd, I sound like a hippy.
But yeah, peace. I've been to a certain board on the internet, and I am completely disgusted by the disunity of the Pokemon fans, and I'd really hate to see this place fall apart like that. (Although I doubt it, since the moderation is more careful.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Mods can deal with controlling members. Thanks for your concern UV but it's unnecessary, it's my job to deal with out of hand posts, not yours :) If you see something that seems over-the-top in the future, feel free to report it instead and the moderator of that section will take care of it!

Yeah, but here's the problem. How far does that extend? How much of the franchise do have to like to be considered a fan of the franchise?

Do you have to like all the Pokemon games or just the main games? What about the anime or the manga, do have to like them too? Do you have to like every single thing that is Pokemon related?

It just raises too many questions.

Now, granted your talking about people who only like one or two game of the franchise but even then I think it still counts. There still a fan of something Pokemon related and if they liked say over 151 different Pokemon, I think that's enough to count as a fan of them.

For me personally to see someone as a fan of the franchise in general, it's not a high bar. I only expect them to know about new main game releases and give them a fair chance/play them before passing judgment on them. I would like the definition of a 'fan of Pokemon' to change merely for the sake of being able to have a conversation with people. Especially on college campuses, it's common if you sport something from the first generation publicly for a person to come up to you, profess to be a big fan of the franchise, and then immediately backpedal if you ask them about anything more recent than Gen III. I love wearing things related to Pokemon but now I end up just avoiding anything that has Gen I or II Pokemon on it because it's frustrating to deal with time and again getting excited to have a conversation with someone about a subject that I'm passionate about, and realizing that when they said they're a fan they meant that they liked it for a year or two in '99.

There would also be the cutoff of when Pokemon stopped being a 'fad', which is about halfway through the third generation. A majority of people I know that claim to be fans but really just liked it during fad stages like the first two generations and ignored everything after that. If I'm lucky I may run across someone that played Ruby or Sapphire but after that the fad stage was at its end (at least in the US, idk about anywhere else), so anyone that remained interested beyond the third generation would definitely qualify as a 'fan of the franchise'.

poke-world

Banned
Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
I started with 3rd Gen and I never complained about being a late bloomer, 5th Gen is my favorite and 1st Gen is my least fave but I still appreciate all generations. Not even the 5th Gen Pokemon's designs stopped me from playing Black and White and I have to say most of the newer Pokemon are actually quite cute and some others are total badass.

Back