• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think Red is overpowered?

Do you think Red is overpowered?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • No.

Votes: 97 84.3%

• Total voters

tnfsf11

I personally don't think he's overpowered.
I never played HGSS but I played Gold, & I've beaten Red with Lapras, Ho-Oh & Gyarados only who were all in their 60s, it was kinda shocking & surprising for me ;)
But I guess it won't be the same in HGSS? I mean I've played Ruby right after I finished Gold & noticed that most gen 1 & 2 pokes in it were kinda weak & didn't do much damage compared to Gold, I can't really see how but that's just what I think...

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
Not only yes, but HECK YES. The only way I could get level 80+ Pokémon soon enough to beat Red was to migrate some from another Gen IV game I'd completed; before I ran into him, Mt. Silver was just moderately difficult to my team (most of which were level 65-75).

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Guys and Girls lets be honest if you play the game with 6 pokemon and you uses them equally then you should face red near his level and if not Mt.Silver is a very good place to train.If you know what pokemon he has you can 1 hit KO all his pokemon its easy done this every time.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
Yes, I think that Red is overpowered... I would say, "overleveled".

He has to be powerful that way, because where was going to be the fun if he were weak?

mizterdekazy

Experienced Pokemon Trainer
Years
he's not overpowered but very challenging and have a good variety of pokemon and he's the strongest NPC but the strongest trainer in the game is YOURSELF! but they did a good job making him a decent challenger.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
He's challenging, but not unbeatable. Took me a couple times but I got there. I agree that mt silvers pokemon could do with being higher levelled so you can train a bit more.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
@OP: It's called "Mt. Silver"

Anyway, the level jump from Blue's level 60 Pidgeot all the way to the 80s of Red's team is just too much. Luckily, I EV trained my Pokémon so that even at their 70s, I still had a somewhat easier time.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I actually haven't gotten to battle Red yet. I'm currently at the entrance of Mount Silver, debating on whether to train a little more around the region before heading on or not. But yeah, that huge jump from Blue's level 60 Pidgeot to Red's level 80+ team sounds quite tough to handle and a little overwhelming, especially if your team's only around level 60. Defeating him can be done, but one would need lots of strategy and a little bit of luck on one's side. Considering that he is the Final Battle though, those high levels are understandable.

Last edited:

BugBoyTroy

Professor in-training
Years
Personally I think Red in heart gold was my all time favorite npc battle. He was tough but not impossible. I think kinda the whole point of training throughout the 16 gyms is to get strong enough to beat red

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2013
No. I love how I need to spend a lot of time training. It prolongs the experience of the game. I know some people hate having to train, but I don't get that. That's one the the key features in Pokemon games. It's not "Get from A to B and collect these badges on the way" it's more like "explore the road, find pokemon, bond with them (yes, as a player. I know we're not really trainers), get the satisfaction in leveling them up and defeating enemies, oh, and on the way, get some badges".
So no, I don't think he's over-powered. He's RED. He's the best trainer in the world, and there's a reason for that.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Not overpowered at all! His Pokemon are all high level but once you know their movesets he's not difficult to defeat (of course, you should have your Pokemon at least at 65 when battling him)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Not at all, as a matter of fact, I feel that he deserves all level 100 Pokemon.

Years
No not at all. I think all the Pokemon games are a little too easy, and I think Red should actually be a little stronger!!!

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2016
The first time I faced him, it took a couple tries with the super-effective type damage reducing berries because I was underleveled.
Any playthrough after that it was just too easy, since HG/SS have just a plethora of places to quickly and efficiently level up your Pokemon.

Lvl 40 dittos are just so great when you have your fully evolved Pokemon, then there's the Elite Four when you're all EV'd up.

Daixtey

The Sin of Joy
Years
Firstly I think Red wasn´t overpowerd beause then you think about it all the things around him like he is on Mt. Silver the place where only the best can go he was the hero of the first gen and you have overcome every other challenge (Gym leaders, Elite four...) He is there to prove your strength in a final test with his pokemon who are lv. 80-88 and you need to use your best pokemon, strategies and also a little bit of luck to beat him but in the end he is a perfect challenge to end a perfect game so he wasn´t at all overpowerd that would mean he was unbeatable but he was not he was challenging and hard and that is just my opinion I know other have different opinions (Also I would have raised the levels a little higher to like to Lv. 83 - 90)

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
To be honest, no. Only the snorlax was challenging. The rest was basically a breeze. His pokemon are high levelled, sure, but I feel he needs more type coverage.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
To be honest, I always thought he was too weak. I actually managed to beat him with just my Garchomp that I traded over from Platinum. Of course, I did have trouble taking down Snorlax, but only because that thing's Defense was too damn high.

Back