• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] iPhotography // Requility's Photography Gallery 2012

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What is this "i" you see in the title?! COULD IT MEAN SPONSORED BY APPLE? Nope, photography taken entirely on an iPhone! My actual camera stopped kinda working a few months before I got my iPhone, so this is all from January - now. :) I miss out on a bit by not having all the fancy features but I think for what it is they've turned out really nice. :3

None of these have had any external adjustments, by the way. Also yes, that's an AFL stadium, I don't own the lizards and the feathers are amazing, I know.

Feather Photography (best tbh)
Spoiler:

Bug Photography
Spoiler:

Bird Photography
Spoiler:

Animal Photography
Spoiler:

Ocean Photography (taken INSIDE a ferry - so slight blur from windows)
Spoiler:

Plant Photography
Spoiler:

Other Photography
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
You wanted to prove to me how talented you were through Twitter, now you finally released them here! I LOVE the ocean screenshots! Definitely my dream to have in my backyard!

Okay, so that dome, that's a football dome (aka Soccer to Americans, right?) xD

I like that toad/frog, reminds me of the one I had as a pet!

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
Years
Remarkable pics, especially since you took it from an iPhone. :)
Whose hand was that, by the way? Is it yours?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Thanks guys! n_n

Remarkable pics, especially since you took it from an iPhone. :)
Whose hand was that, by the way? Is it yours?

Yeah it was my hand. :) Didn't know how else I could manage it on someone else's hand lmao.

You wanted to prove to me how talented you were through Twitter, now you finally released them here! I LOVE the ocean screenshots! Definitely my dream to have in my backyard!

Okay, so that dome, that's a football dome (aka Soccer to Americans, right?) xD

I like that toad/frog, reminds me of the one I had as a pet!

NOPE not soccer it is a different type of football, just google Australian Football League. XD;

Years
*jaw drops* *buys iPhone* If I didn't know any better I would say this is advertisment for the iPhone's camera >.>

I loved all of them, especially the Ocean pictures! It amazes me further that these were only taken on an iPhone and had no post processing.

*Rage Quits Life of Jealousy*

Hikari, you slick ninja you...-.-

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
Years
I like the upshots of the buildings/houses and sky. It makes everything seem so condensed and grounded and yet vast and exploratory at the same time.

I also like the one of that toad frog for.......obvious reasons. XD;;

And I'd never get that close to flies or moths to try to take pictures. I'm deathly terrified of insects.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
NOPE not soccer it is a different type of football, just google Australian Football League. XD;
Oh, that's actually interesting. Next time you go to the games you should definitely take amazing photos of the players making passes, catches, etc. That'd be an interesting gallery. That is if you're up for the challenge!

TheFallenUmbreon

Dreams shall never fall...
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 27, 2014
All of these photos look like they were taken using a professional camera! I can't believe iPhone pics look so HD O_O *looks at iPod* I need to evolve this...
Overall, I liked all of the pics ^_^ Especially the Ocean and Bug Photography!

deadwater

Monster.
Years
  • Age 30
  • NYC
  • Seen Oct 16, 2012
Bless your photographing little heart.
You got yourself some skill you do precious.

droomph

weeb
Years
I need to ask from the proe here...

Do you really need a $500 camera to take good pictures? I think yours (and mine tbh) are pretty pictures (especially HDR on iPhone 4 and stuff)...and I don't see how buying an expensive camera that I will probably break in a day would make a difference in the quality. What are your opinions?

But my stupid little internal drama aside, I do think the pictures are quite different from what I would take (ie NO SCENERY :cccccccccc), but still pretty good. I don't know if switching back to an actual camera is really worth it for you, because these pictures are pretty damn good as they are.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm just gonna go through some of these and pick ones which exemplify well areas where you could maybe improve. In no particular order...

Spoiler:

In this photo I don't think I really know what you're taking the picture of. You've got those huge light rays coming down from the top, the smoke (?) cloud coming up from the bottom, and then a lamppost whacked right in the middle to complicate everything. When taking this picture maybe you could have re-considered what you were actually going for and experimented with taking it from different angles to cut out stuff that didn't matter. The same is true of these, for example:

Spoiler:

In both of these I'm not sure of what the actual subject is; in the first, is it the plant or the sun's rays (and as a note, is there a way you could have taken a similar photo without the post in the background?) that you were looking at? And in the second I don't know you were after the dramatic lighting or the skyline. I'd guess at the former, but it's not the viewer's job to guess - it should be the photographer who makes the subject very clear to the viewer.

That said it's not a totally universal issue for you - some of your other photos, such as this one:

Spoiler:

have a really clear and well-defined subject because there aren't distractions or ambiguity present. However, this picture also leads me on to my next point - don't be afraid to totally fill the frame with your subject. And by that I mean crop out the window at the top of this. You've got a good pose on the animal here and it's very simple and well-defined, until you look up, at which point the whole picture is thrown off by the window - a huge distraction which isn't needed and doesn't add to the photo, despite clearly not being the subject. If it's an unnecessary distraction, remove it either after importing the pictures (although I believe iPhones have onboard utilities for this?) or by simply not including it in the photo at all. The same issue occurs here:

Spoiler:

We know that the insect is the subject of the photograph but we've got the whole tree to distract us. I know you told me already that you couldn't have got much closer but just an example and stuff. You get the idea! In the second picture, all the things in the background are a distraction. Even though they're not focussed, I kept finding myself drawn to the boxes in the corner.

Fortunately, other than the weak photos in general such as the bird ones where the subject doesn't fill much of the frame at all, those are the main issues. I'm definitely fond of a number of these, although one of them caught my eye which was almost brilliant. I'm talking about this one:

Spoiler:

You know what you're taking the photo of, the background is interesting but not distracting because it's fairly consistent, and it's all going well until BAM you've got that different seed thing at the front - the striped one. This is definitely different, definitely a distraction, and definitely in focus. For me, while it didn't ruin the picture, it definitely subtracted from it. I just thought I'd point that one out though.

In other pictures the lighting is a bit... extreme. It seems you really like the sun because a lot of your photos are capturing well-defined sunlight, which is fine, but others are just shooting through something straight into the sun, which isn't. In the following photos I felt that shooting straight into the sunlight really harmed the photo by forcing really harsh light and making the whole thing look kinda messy:

Spoiler:

In all of these you've got the sun either very close to or directly behind the subjects and I felt like it's making stuff unnecessarily harsh. On another note with light, I'd say to watch reflections:

Spoiler:

this has some really reflective patches on it which I think take away from the picture. I'm guessing the sun was fairly directly behind you when you took it? I'd have waited for it to go down a little bit before you took it. It's a nice picture otherwise though!

So yeah I've... been quite harsh here. I'd have gone through the ones I like, because there are a number of them, but I've showed you some on Msn and the ones which I like are really the ones which don't have issues I've outlined here. I'd say that overall you're off to a good start - you've at least got stuff to take pictures of and you're not bad at really emphasising what it was about what you were seeing that you like. I'd say that you should maybe work on being more aware of what's going on in your photographs - identify distractions and eliminate them if possible. Then, for the outdoor photography, keep an eye on where the sun is - shooting directly into it is rarely a good idea, and neither is shooting with it reflecting harshly off your subject. Hope that helps!

/tl;dr

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
Nica! I love all of your shots so much! My favorites have to be the ones you took on the water. Great stuff there. Can't wait to see more from you. :D

Back